Beaten Up

We Know Your Secret *smirks*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hyoyoung couldn't stop staring at the 'Emergency Room' sign hanging just above the door. Her tears kept flowing, wetting her cheeks as she leaned onto the wall, afraid that she would fall onto the ground.

She glanced at her twin who is sitting on a chair, crying her eyes out. The sound of Hwayoung's sobs filled the silent hallway.

Hyoyoung wanted to do the same. She wanted to let her screams out, she wanted to release the stabbing pain her heart but she couldn't. Or rather, she didn't want to. She realized as Hwayoung's older sister, she needed to be strong. She couldn't show her vulnerability in front of her twin especially in this situation. 

So she let out her silent tears, without a sound, without even a small squeak. 

Hyoyoung dropped her head down as a piece of her memory suddenly came flashing into her head. 

 

/Flashback/

 

"Appa!! Omma!!" Little 4-year-old Hwayoung shrieked seeing their parents' lifeless bodies. They were too late, by the time their chaffeur took them there, their parents were already gone. 

Hyoyoung stood there in silence. She watched her sister screaming until her voice got hoarse. Her tears flowed down her perfectly white chubby cheeks but her voice hid inside , refusing to come out.

Seeing her twin shrieking was enough for her.

Even though Hwayoung felt wanting to rip apart, she didn't stop. She hoped that her screams would wake their parents from their deep sleep but that was just a kid's fantasy.

A week after their parents died, all the wealth their parents' had, disappeared into thin air leaving the twins with nothing. It was said that the wealth will be inherited to them when they both turned eighteen.

Until then, the twins were forced to transfer into an orphanage. And there, they were adopted by Jane and Bill. 

 

/End of Flashback/

 

"Hyoyoung-ah! Hwayoung-ah!" The voice that echoed in the hallway snapped the twins back into reality as they spun their heads towards it.

"Omoni!" Their eyes widened as they both straightened up. "Where's Sandeul and Jinyoung? Where's my sons?!" Mrs Park asked as her eyes frantically wandered around when she reached the twins.

"Omoni, calm down." Hyoyoung grabbed both of Mrs Park's hands trying to stop her from panicking so much. 

The Ryu twins regard Mrs Park as their own mother. She was the one who told them to call her 'omoni' because she had always wanted to have daughters. The twins are close to her and always went to her whenever they missed their mother's love.

"My sons.." Mrs Park collapsed onto the chair as Hwayoung immediately hugged her, crying onto the older woman's shoulder. 

"Where's abeoji?" She asked in the midst of her crying, squeaking a bit. "He's in New York, he said he'll try to get the earliest flight back here." Mrs Park replied in a flat tone. 

Her eyes welled up with tears and before one of them even had the chance to drop, the door opened as she and Hwayoung got up. Hyoyoung straightened herself up waiting for anyone to come out.

They froze in fear, it was as if the air was out of their lungs. The doctor came out, slipping his bloody surgery gloves off before letting his mask down to speak. "Are you the family members?"

"I'm their mother." Mrs Park spoke out, blinking as she watched her sons pale faces when they came out of the room with the nurses taking them away.  "I see." The doctor nodded.

"This is the first time I ever operated two patients at the same time, but we had to do this because they were both critical. Fortunately, the operation went smoothly. Patient Jinyoung got knocked on the head with a very hard object, he lost a lot of blood but we managed to prevent him from going into coma. We also stitched up the wounds on his body so he isn't allowed to move so much." The doctor explained calmly.

Mrs Park heaved a sigh of relief until another realization hit her. "What about Sandeul?" The twins once again stared at the doctor hoping for a good result.

"Patient Sandeul got his back sliced by a sharp object. It's highly a knife. Only the tip of the knife managed to enter his skin so the wound wasn't deep. The scar on his back has a high possibility of being permanent but other than that, he's fine as well although he needs to lessen his activites that involves in using his backbones because it might rip the stitches off." The doctor gave a reassuring smile to Mrs Park and the twins.

"Thank you so much." They bowed to the doctor and repeated their words of 'thank you' a few times. The doctor then excused himself to tend to other things.

Soon after, a nurse came greeting them. "We have placed the patients in the same room. You can visit them now." 

Mrs Park nodded as the nurse led her and the twins to the room. When they arrived, the nurse bowed and excused herself as Mrs Park took a deep breath. The twins tried to comfort her as she turned the doorknob open. 

The three stepped inside and rushed to Sandeul's and Jinyoung's sides as soon as they saw their faces.

"My sons.. Who did this to you?" Mrs Park went in middle of their beds as she sat onto the chair provided. She faced Sandeul as Hwayoung stood beside his bed. Hyoyoung went beside Jinyoung's bed and stared at him.

Her tears fell down as she stared at the bandage wrapped around Jinyoung's head. "Oppa..." 

Mrs Park Sandeul's cheek softly as she examined the band-aids on his face. She turned around and gave her attention to Jinyoung. "Omoni, it'll be hard for you to take care both of them at the same time, let me take care of Jinyoung oppa and Hwayoung can take care of Sandeul oppa. You'll be busy with work." Hyoyoung put her hand onto Mrs Park's shoulder gently.

Mrs Park couldn't deny that what she said was the truth. "But-"

"Don't worry. We'll take good care of them. We'll come everyday after school until they recovered." Hwayoung assured her.

"What about the bar?" Mrs Park furrowed her eyebrows knowing everything and is afraid of the twins getting in trouble with their foster parents. Hyoyoung flinched, forgetting about the bar.

"We'll.. take care of it." Mrs Park didn't notice the worried look on both Hwayoung's and Hyoyoung's faces as she nodded solemnly.

"If you have something to do, call me and I'll take care of them." Mrs Park smiled at the twins. "We will omoni." Hyoyoung smiled back before turning her attention to Jinyoung. *Who did this to you, oppa?*

Mrs Park's phone suddenly rang as she picked it up. "Yoboseyo? Now? I'll be there soon." She hung up as she turned to the twins. "Abeoji is arriving soon and I'm going to go to the airport to pick him up since the chaffeur is nowhere to be found. That guy.." She shook her head as she tucked her phone back into her purse's side-pocket.

"I'll be back later." She got up and left as the twins nodded and watched her leave.

Hwayoung sat on the chair while Hyoyoung gently set herself onto Jinyoung's bed, carefully avoiding his legs since there were no chairs left.

"I wonder what happened to them unnie." Hwayoung sighed as her fingers brushed onto Sandeul's hair lightly. "I want to know the same thing." Hyoyoung touched Jinyoung's bandaged forehead. 

Anger boiled inside her watching him like this. "I will never forgive the person who did this to them." Hwayoung bit her bottom lip. "Me neither."

Hyoyoung's fingers caressed Jinyoung's cheek softly, avoiding the small cut above his cheekbones until she felt them twitch slightly. She widened her eyes as she pulled her fingers away. "Oppa?"

Jinyoung's closed eyes twitched as they opened up slowly. It took a while for him to get the blurry images clear as he saw Hyoyoung smiling brightly above him.

"Jinyoung oppa!" Hyoyoung squealed happily for the first time that day. Hwayoung turned around and her eyes glimmered with joy. "You're awake now oppa?"

Jinyoung held his head as he felt the white cloth covering it. "What..Where am I?" He tried to sit up but failed as he fell back down onto the bed groaning at the pain in his head. His body felt sore and he felt a pang of pain everytime he tried to move or even breath.

"You need rest oppa." Hyoyoung pushed him gently onto bed and pulled the blanket over him. "I'll go get the doctor!" Hwayoung excitedly got up and ran off before Hyoyoung could even give a reply.

"Where am I?" He repeated his question, squinting his eyes at Hyoyoung as he's still trying to adjust to the bright light.

"You're at the hospital." Hyoyoung sat onto the chair and took Jinyoung's hand away from his head. "You were beaten up. Don't you remember oppa?" 

Jinyoung crinkled his forehead as he shook his head slowly until his eyes widened. "I remember! I was about to tell you something! Sandeul and I, we heard- Ack!" He gripped onto his head as the pain came in suddenly.

"Oppa! Are you okay? Don't think too much." Hyoyoung panicked, not knowing what to do.

Jinyoung let go of his head as the pain faded slowly. He took Hyoyoung's hand in his as he continued. "We heard them." Hyoyoung shook her head. "Stop it. You're going to get a headache again-"

"Listen to me!" Jinyoung gripped onto her hand as he shut his eyes tightly when he felt the throbbing pain again. Hyoyoung blinked her eyes at him. "See oppa!"

Jinyoung ignored her as he opened his eyes slowly. "We heard Jane and Bill talking and it was about the two of you." 

"Mwo?" Hyoyoung stared at him in confusion. "Remember when we first met and you told me all about your family?" Hyoyoung hesitated at first then nodded slowly remembering that day when she fell into a pond and Jinyoung was the first person who even cared enough to help her out.

"You told me that you were going to be rich when you reached eighteen." Jinyoung chuckled a bit as he remembered what the 8-year-old Hyoyoung told him back then. Hyoyoung looked away shyly as she nodded again.

"And you told me how nice Jane and Bill were for adopting you and Hwayoung even though they had financial problems, right?" Hyoyoung nodded again at him as she remembered how much she owed Jane and Bill for adopting her and Hwayoung.

"You're wrong, Hyoyoung-ah. They are just pathetic scumbags." Hyoyoung widened her eyes at Jinyoung's words as she pulled her hand away from his. "You have no right to call them that."

"They took you both in because they wanted the inheritance you're getting. They are using you." Jinyoung tried raising his head but fell back onto the pillow as the pain banged inside.

"Lies. They didn't know about it." Hyoyoung looked away and refused to accept it.

"Yes they did! Sandeul and I heard them! We got into the bar and confronted with them, even threatening them to tell both of you but when we got out, there were a group of guys, and before we knew it, we ended up being like this." Jinyoung stared at her.

Hyoyoung widened her eyes and snapped her head back at Jinyoung. "T-they did this?" 

Jinyoung nodded weakly and reached out to grab Hyoyoung's hand. "They only want your money. They treated you and Hwayoung like trash. They even tried to kill me and Sandeul. Do you still consider them as your parents?" 

"What did you say oppa?" Hyoyoung opened to speak but got cut off when Hwayoung's voice appeared into the room. 

Both Jinyoung and Hyoyoung turned to her. "Say it again. Jane and Bill were the ones who did this?" Hwayoung's body shook in anger as the doctor beside her went to check on Jinyoung.

"It's fortunate you're awake now but you'll be needing a lot of rest and we will give you some pills later to relieve the throbbing in your head." The doctor explained everything and excused himself when he was done.

Once the doctor was gone, Hwayoung repeated her question. "Jane and Bill did this, oppa?" 

Jinyoung turned away before nodding slightly. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? You're sorry our parents beat you up? You're sorry our parents sliced your brother's back open? You're sorry-" 

"Stop it." Jinyoung sighed. "Why? Why would I stop?" Hwayoung scoffed then turned to Hyoyoung. "We should have left sooner unnie. Can't you see? They are using us. They tried to kill Sandeul oppa and Jinyoung oppa. You even said it yourself. You won't forgive whoever did this. If you still forgive them after this.." Hwayoung gulped and hesitated for a while. "..then you're not my sister anymore. I won't acknowledge it."

Hyoyoung widened her eyes and stared back at her twin. "Hwayoung!"

Hwayoung turned around and strode off leaving the room. Hyoyoung got up to chase her until she felt her arm being pulled. "Don't go. Let her think." Jinyoung pleaded.

Hyoyoung sat back down as she let out a sigh. Jinyoung patted the small space beside him as Hyoyoung stared at him. "What? Want me to sleep next to you?" Jinyoung rolled his eyes at her question. "Aish, you really.."

He reached his hand out onto the back of her head as he pushed her face onto the bed. "Oppa!" Hyoyoung tried raising her head up until Jinyoung prevented her from doing so.

"Stay still. This is better, right?" He patted her head. Hyoyoung didn't answer him as she gripped onto the sheets.

Jinyoung smiled softly and watched as she silently cried without a sound.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OuO Another update! OwO/  Subscribe and Comment <3 OuO