Step Sisters

CINDELIQUENT

I was woken up by a kick. My step mother’s 8 year old daughter is throwing yet another fit. Ah! It has been 10 years.

“What?” I asked hardly letting a sound out. I fear that if I put too much effort in speaking my fist will go flying in her face. If that happens, I can say goodbye to my tae kwon do and Ai Ki do classes. “Mom is doing laundry,” the brat said to me like I should know what that means. After telling me that her mother is doing laundry, she just left the room. What the? So, I went back to sleep.

I was halted from my bed by my so called father. I was half asleep and a bit confused. What is happening? I can hear my father’s voice, furious as always. Ah! The bastard is at it again. All I need to do is listen, get it over and done with. I accidentally yawned while the old man verbally tortures the half asleep me. Until I felt his big hands hit my face and within seconds I was fully awake with my mouth bleeding. I bit my lips when the old man slapped me. My step mother tried to stop the old man from going berserk. I just took a deep breath. I stopped asking for reason since my very existence seemed to piss this guy off. “This brat needs to learn a lesson, get my belt,” he ordered my step mother. She pleaded and pleaded for the old man not to hit me. He heeded her pleas. I was shoved instead in the storage room just outside the garage The old man said that I need to reflect on my action. Whatever!

I sat in the middle of the dark and empty storage, the song by gangsta’s paradise keeps echoing in my head As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will not be afraid of evil, la… la…la , I don’t know the entire lyrics so the same line kept repeating itself. Before I know it, the sun sets. I didn’t even notice. I sighed heavily and opened the storage door.

I stepped inside the house and I found them laughing in front of the television. When my step mother saw me come in, she immediately led me to the dining table and prepared my food. My step mother’s mouth was moving, I guess she was saying something but they all sound gibberish in my ears. I managed to catch the reason why I was punished though, that was very clear to me. I was supposed to help prepare breakfast but because I did not my most wonderful step sister did it all by herself. Unfortunately, that kind hearted daughter of hers wanted to prepare some eggs for the old man but end up burning her fragile fingers. I guess my step mother is trying to make up an excuse for the old man, and because I kind of feel pity for her - having a demon for a daughter and all - I decided to just nod as if I understood.

“Mom!!!” my other step sister just came back from her sleep over. She slumped herself in the chair right in front of me. “Ah, I’m so tired,” she told me like I care somehow. My step mother stood up and started heating the food for her. I looked at my plate wondering if I can gobble the food down my throat so I don’t have to be there.

“Hey, you know I met the cutest boy yesterday,” She whispered behind her mother’s back. I took a deep breath and smiled at her while shoving food in my mouth non-stop. Boys… boys…boys, Bridgette talked about them non-stop. “I think I love him,” she said dreamingly. For goodness sake, your 10 … snapped out of it, I shouted in my head and I end up choking. Bridgette stood up and got me a glass of water and patted my back. “You should slow down, you always eat like a pig,” she joked.

I got up and said “Thanks,” to the both of them. Thanks to the step mother who fed me when I was hungry and thanks to the step sister who provided me water when I was thirsty. Whoah, that sounds like what Jesus said. Could it be? I may be a reincarnation of Jesus, I wondered while going up the stair in my room. If I am Jesus, then it’s as good as saying I am like god, I stopped at the top of the stairs and have my evil laugh, Bwaahhahhahhahahha!!!

“Crazy!” Satan’s daughter, Bridgette’s little sister, snarled at the bottom of the steps. I ignored her because I am god. Then, I continued to head for my room while having a laugh.