Memory #001

Mnemophobia

 

One smile can start a friendship. One word can end a fight. One look can save a relationship.

One person can change your life.

 

8th January 2007

 

 

“Forth room on the right…”

 

“First.. second.. third.. forth.” A 15 year old girl mumbled as she peaked into the room that had music blasting, “This must be it.”

 

Haewon’s black eyes scanned the room and immediately, she spotted a boy that was standing nearest to the dance instructor, giving his all learning the dance that the instructor was teaching. His serious face made her smile, she had never seen this side of her brother before. If her parents were here, they would be so proud seeing this rare side of him.

 

“Who are you?” A voice interrupted her and she tore her eyes away from her brother to the owner of the voice. In front of her stood another boy that was probably around the same age as her brother, but her brother was more good looking than him for sure.

 

“Are you a trainee here?” Haewon ignored his question, “Can you get Cha Kiwon out for me?”

 

“Cha Kiwon?” The 19-year old boy squinted his eyes and raised his brows questioningly. He had never seen this girl before, was she a new trainee? He had been here for a few years already, there was no trainee he didn't know. “Why are you looking for him?”

 

“I’m here to send my brother lunch.” The girl answered innocently, her black eyes peering into his.

 

“Oh? I didn’t know Kiwon has such a beautiful sister!” Giving her his signature gummy smile, Jiyong instinctively ruffled her hair. He didn’t know why he did that, he just felt like doing it and he didn’t regret, her hair was soft and it felt nice on his fingertips.

 

“Tsk.” Haewon smacked his hand away as she pouted and adjusted her hair back in place. She hated it when people mess up her hair, even her brother wasn’t allowed to do that. Who was he to touch her hair?

 

“Wonnie?” Just then, the door beside them was pulled open and 19-year old Kiwon walked out with sweat dripping from his hair.

 

Upon seeing her brother, Haewon’s face lit up immediately. The annoyed pout was replaced by her cheery smile. “Oppa!”

 

“Yah.. what are you doing here?” The boy asked her sister, feeling surprised that her lazy- sister actually appeared at his training place.

 

“Omma asked me to send you lunch!” She turned around and showed her brother the huge backpack she was carrying.

 

“My oh my. You actually sent me lunch? I think I am going to buy lottery tonight. Definitely going to strike first prize man.” Kiwon took the bagback from her as he told her sister in a voice filled with sacarsm.

 

“Whatever.” Haewon rolled her eyes, “Omma said I can go out with my friends this weekend if I send it here.”

 

Shrugging her shoulders, she told her brother plainly. “Its such a good deal. Why not right?”

 

“Then can you bring me along?” Leaning against the doorframe, Jiyong smiled and asked the girl. He had been watching the siblings communicate all this while. Other than the striking resemblance that both of them are very good looking, the girl was definitely more expressive than his emotionless best friend. From the short conversation, he watched how the girl rolled her big black eyes to how she scrunched her nose when she shrugged her shoulders. She showed so many different expressions that it made Jiyong wonder if she had more sides to those he had seen.  “I think you will need someone to protect you. You are too beautiful to be roaming around the streets.”

 

“Tch.” Haewon scoffed at the guy’s flirtatious comment. It was so not smooth that she was cringing. The boys in her school could do a much better job. Blessed with a good look and model-like body, her brother and her could be considered as one of the few popular kids in school with tons of people crushing on them. So to the 15-year old girl, Jiyong’s flirting was nothing to her.

 

“Hahaha. My sister just tch you Jiyong.” Kiwon punched his chest playfully/ Putting his arms around her sister protectively, he led her away from the other boy. “Ignore him. He flirts with every single female being in this building. Even the admin outside.”

 

“Heyy c’mon, you got to admit that flirting works. Or else how can we practice till so late?” Jiyong ran after the siblings as they made their way to their canteen.

 

“Whatever. Just leave my sister out out of your claws.”

 

“Oppa, you are not any better.” Haewon poked into her brother’s misery, “You are a heartbreaker too. Need me to count the girls who cried when you turned them down for you?”

 

Knocking her head with his knuckles, Kiwon took a seat opposite his sister. The trainee canteen was empty and they could find seats easily. “Don’t bring that up here.”

 

“Fine.” Haewon stuck out her tongue at him and looked away playfully without realizing that someone was staring at her with a very charming smile throughout. “Oppa, why don’t you eat here and still make mum send you lunch everyday? The food ain’t that bad.”

 

“Nah, I prefer mum’s food.” Kiwon replied her with a mouthful full of rice.

 

Stealing from his ricebowl, Jiyong put a mouthful of rice with sidedishes into his mouth. His eyes widened as he chewed. “Your mum’s food is nice! Nicer than the canteen’s. Can you pack for me the next time too?”

 

“Why must I?” Haewon didn’t like the boy before her, he was weird. This was the first time she sees him and he acts like he had known her for a thousand years.

 

“But I’m your brother’s best friend!” Jiyong fought back.

 

“So what?”

 

Kiwon laughed at her sister’s indifference to Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong is a well-known smooth talker within the trainees, he can get all the girls swoon at his feet but he was proud that his sister wasn’t one of them. Instead, she seemed to dislike his best friend. Well, at least she won't get her heartbroken by him. “Jiyong, my sister is only 15, stop trying to get her. She’s still underage.”

 

“There’s no age limit when it comes to love my friend.” Jiyong winked at Haewon which caused the girl to roll her eyes at him in disgust.

 

“I got to go Oppa.”

 

“So fast?” Kiwon and Jiyong asked at the same time. Just that the latter was frowning when he saw how the beautiful girl before her stood up, preparing to take her leave.

 

“Gonna drop by the mall before going home. Don’t tell Omma alright?” She placed a finger in front of her lips, telling her brother to keep a secret and he nodded.


“Text me when you reach home alright? Stay safe.”

 

“Alright, bye Oppa!” Haewon bade her brother goodbye, ignoring the figure beside him. Jiyong’s hand froze halfway when she turned her back on him just as he was about to wave her goodbye. His smile turning into a frown.

 

Appalled by her actions, he caught up with her, blocking her way as he extended his hand. With his dazzling smile, he looked into her black eyes that were so clear and soulful. It felt like her eyes could talk, and if it really could, he was sure they would tell them really interesting stuff. And he was more than glad to listen to them, for he had never seen those captivating eyes like hers before.

 

“I haven’t introduce myself.”

 

“I’m Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong but you can call me Ji.”

 

“From now on, only you can call me by that name.”

 

“Only you.”


Please note the title of the chapters as well as the dates in this story. They will make things less confusing.

Enjoy!