Entry #008

Mnemophobia

 

I once heard that if a crush lasts longer than 4 months then you’re in love.

 

So what happens when I’ve been infatuated with you for 24 months? Have I fallen in love with you 6 times or have I simply wasted 2 years, 24 months, 96 months and 730 days?

 

16th August 2014

 

 “Doctor said the chances are very low.”

 

“It would be a miracle in the medical world if I ever regain my memory.

 

Jieun smiled at the blonde male before her as memories of what happened 2 years ago flashed past her. She remembered waking up in the hospital, with a hurting and empty head. No matter how she tried to recall what caused her to land up in a hospital, she couldn’t. Her mind was blank. When the doctors and nurses asked her for her name, she could only open ; unable to utter a single word. She couldn’t even remember her name.

 

She panicked, it was beyond scary to have her mind as blank as a piece of white paper. She started crying, screaming, kicking around despite her hurting head. If it wasn’t the doctors who injected her to calm her down, Aunt Kim told her that she would probably have ended her own life by attempting to jump down the window. Till 2 men entered her ward afterwards, one after another, then she knew how lucky she was to be alive. And from then she never wished to die ever again.

 

Namjoon Oppa told her her name, and he even introduced her only family member to her; Jongin. Then he answered all her questions she had been asking in her head but failed to come out with an answer with.

 

“You are the only survivor from the fire Jieun.” Namjoon Oppa told her as he held her hand tightly, “You jumped down from your room from the second floor during the fire but you hit your head onto the statue that was on the ground level when you jumped down.”

 

“The doctor said that the impact caused you to forget your memories. Don’t worry, we will pay for the best doctor to heal you! You will remember everything in no time!”

 

“I’m the only survivor?” Jieun asked softly. “Who.. died?”

 

“Your.. parents didn’t manage to make it out in time. I’m sorry.”

 

Staring into space, Jieun tried to piece up the information Namjoon just told her. Her mind was as hollow as ever and she found herself unable to weep for her parent’s death. She didn’t even feel sad at all. It was as though they were total strangers to her and that their death didn’t concern her. In her mind, there were zero memories of them. She had forgotten how they looked and sounded.

 

Even till this day, she hadn’t seen how her parents look like. All the photos her family took were burnt along with her parents. She only heard from Aunt Kim that her father and Jongin’s father are distant cousins and they had only seen each other a few times before the accident. As her family used to be rich and arrogant and also hostile towards the other cousins, none of the other Kim family wanted to take her in after the accident happened. They were all mocking about their downfall, saying that it was retribution.

 

When Jongin’s father knew about it, he took her in right away, sending Jongin and Namjoon to check on her right away. Aunt Kim told her that they pitied her, and that she was their niece afterall so they couldn’t watch her suffer like this.

 

And so since then, she started staying with the Kim family. They gave her a roof over her head, clothes to keep her warm and food to fill her stomach when they could have chosen to mock her like her other cousins did; but they didn’t. Saein and Hyein took turns to look after her, and the oldest among all even let her help out in Kamong to kill her time. Aunt and Uncle Kim would always bring her to the hospital for checkup, unwilling to leave her alone for a moment. Jieun knows that they were worried about her and she is nothing but trouble because they have to constantly watch after her.

 

Feeling guilty about it, the 22-year old girl hoped that someday she could repay their kindness for the things they had done for her. Even if she didn’t get to attend university like Hyein, she is satisfied. Uncle Kim, Aunt Kim, Saein and Hyein, they are her life saviours. Without them, there would be no Kim Jieun today. She owes them a lifetime. They gave her more than she could ask for and she really shouldn’t ask for anything more. As for Jongin, she was sure he didn’t like her family back then. But, she would still repay his kindness for he is part of the Kim family.

 

“Aunt Kim said that it’s probably a blessing in disguise that I don’t remember anything.” Jieun told Sehun softly as she recalled what the older lady told her the other day, “They said the fire was really horrible that it burnt my house entirely, leaving only debris behind.”

 

“Since I’m given a second chance to live again, I promised Aunt Kim that I will treasure it.”

 

“It’s true.” Sehun nodded at her, “What you don’t know wouldn’t hurt you.”

 

“I guess that’s why everyone in the Kim family refuses to mention anything about my family. I think we must be really mean back then.”

 

Smiling at her, Sehun avoided her earnest eyes; it made him feel guilty but he was really glad that she couldn’t remember anything. At least she could be Jieun, the Jieun that only has him as the only friend. And that he gets to sit next to her like this doing absolutely nothing. It means absolutely everything to him.

 

“I just came back from LA by the way.” Sehun changed the topic.

 

“I know. I heard from Aunt Kim talking to Saein and Hyein Unnie about Jongin’s whereabouts.”

 

“We went to Disneyland and.. erm..” Sehun pulled out the paperbag behind him and passed it to her. “I bought you a little something.”

 

“For me?” Jieun asked excitedly and he nodded.

 

Unwrapping the present immediately, Jieun’s smile spread across her beautiful face when the Winnie-the-pooh plushtoy came into sight. And that moment, Sehun swore to god, that moment, the colour of her eyes made him forget that the world is round. He had never seen anyone who has such captivating eyes.

 

“Oh my god! Thank you!!” Hugging the bear in her arms, Jieun buried her face into it right away. This was the first present she ever received in 2 years after her ‘reborn’. She doesn’t even know when is her birthday so she hasn’t received any present ever since the incident.

 

Sehun could feel the happiness radiating off her and it made him happy too. He wondered how could a simple present make her this happy and he made a mental note to surprise her more often with gifts.

 

“You like it?” He asked as he continued to stare at her with his warm gaze. Often than not, there is never a time a place for true love. It often happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment. And right there, right then, Jieun turned the bear around and put it beside her face as she flashed Sehun a smile that made him forgotten to breathe for a moment. “Of course! I love it! Thank you Sehun!”

 

“I will hug it to sleep every night!”

 

That moment, Sehun cannot make Jieun understand. He cannot make anyone understand what is happening inside him. He cannot even explain it himself.

 

Because Oh Sehun wants to be more than just Kim Jieun’s only friend.


Just to clear some things up, Jieun is the same age as Jongin and Sehun. All of them are  22. Jiyong is 26. I gave away their age in the first few chapters. 

I will be on hiatus for a week or so, till I finish my assignment then I will start writing MDIAS and Mnem again. Need to concentrate on my uni work!

In the mean time, enjoy!

 

Fan account on TLP:

As my seat was 3 rows from the substage, I could see the boys very clearly! Everyone took turns to run here and Sehun had his solo stage in front of me! (Can't upload the video I don't know why. Will try again!) Kai is really good looking in real life! Photos don't do him any justice at all! 

When he was hanging in the air, my elevated seat was at his eyelevel. The very first time that he came, my friend and I waved really enthusiastically at him and guess what? He waved back!! He pointed at us and he waved! Although we were really happy, we told ourselves that he might be waving to the people behind us. However, the second time when he came back during Peter Pan, he waved back again! My friend and I were crazily waving to get his attention (we nearly jumped out of our seat) and he turned at our directions, bent forward a little and squinted his eyes to see before he smiled and waved back. Omg, we died!

We were quite sure its us since the fans n front of us were quite dead and the people behind us are Lay/Sehun/Baekhyun fans. Even if its not us, just let me live in self denial. HAHA. :P 

Just had to share this with you guys. ><