A box

Metallic memories

A box


 

I just stand in front of the refrigerator while deeply stare into the calendar. Jongup's birthday greet my sight as my mind froze for a while. What should I do? Jongup still didn't remember me so it's useless to celebrate his birthday but my heart seems to protest my decision. Knowing that today is his birthday, my heart feel happy because I have a chance to help him recall everything back.

 

"Haewon, are you trying to make a hole at our refrigerator? Stop staring at it and drink some milk I made." Mum said while pat my back gently.

"Eo? Oh, okay." I startled when I feel a touch on my back and quickly regain my conscious. Mum just let out a small chuckles and continue back doing her works.

"And..Give this to your friend okay." Mum points to the beautiful cake on the dining table. I just nod as I stare at the cake and lift my cup in my hand.

 

After finish up my milk, I put my cup in the sink and wash it even mum asked me to put it in the sink since she said she will wash it later. Mum seems busy today so I decide to wash on my own. Plus, mum already baked a cake for Jongup and soon, she will goes to works. She must be tired so I tried to cut little by little her works in the house by helping her.

 

"You have a date with Taehyung, right? Go now so you won't be late." Mum push me out of the kitchen as she notices my appearance. A simple dress with a big ribbon on the back.

 

Screwed. I almost forget my 'date' with Taehyung today. And about our promise to paid for the snacks. Mum observes my reaction and shook her head slowly while a small smile appear on her face. Knowing that her daughter's behavior very well, mum voices out her questions.

 

"Did you make a bet with Taehyung again?" Mum asks as she caress my hair and wipe an invincible dust on my dress.

"Hee, yes." I shyly said. Mum knows me really well. Of course, she's my mum.

"So, you better hurry up." Mum adds as she pretends to look at the clock on the wall. I better hurry up so I won't be late.

"Neh, omma. Byee, love you." I kiss mum's cheek and dash to the door to wear my sneaker and sprinting through the path to the cafe that we've promised before.

 

Some of the people look at me weirdly since I'm running in a dress. Perhaps, they think I being chase by someone. It's so embarrassing to keep running like this so I decide to walk like a normal girl should do when they're wearing a dress. It's better to paid for the snacks than leave a bad impression to the people here. What if they know me or happen to be my classmates.

I just act like nothing happen and head to the cafe as I already see the sight of the cafe. Today weather seems so nice as if it's welcoming me to do some outdoor activities. I raise my head up to look at the clear blue sky. An oasis of serenity amidst the bustling city. For a while, something hit my head. The weather is so familiar to me. It's feel special rather than beautiful.

At this very moment, I stop from walking and stay still at where I'm standing right now. Today weather is exactly the same as that day. The day where everything seems wrong. The day where Jongup forgets everything about me. Suddenly, I feel down after recall about that day. My smiley face turn to the sad one within a second.

The bell ring and let out a lovely melody when I push it. I need to smile so Taehyung won't notices it. He might thinks that I don't like going out with him. Putting on a small smile on my face, I walk around the table to find Taehyung but he's no where to be seen. I wonder if he's late for our date and take a random seat while waiting for him. I play with my phone so I don't look lonely because a lot of people come here with their couples or friends.

 

"Hey, pay for it." Suddenly, Taehyung approach from nowhere while hold a tray that full with some snacks and coffee.

 

I look at him in disbelief as he takes a seat in front of me and put the tray on the table. There's a lot of snacks and two cup of coffees. Bar snacks are served in this cafe too, that's why Taehyung asked me to met here and make a bet to pay for the snacks. Why don't I know it before? I look at Taehyung who's eating the snacks happily. Seeing his cheerful face, I stand from my seat and walk to the counter with the bills that Taehyung handed at me.

 

"This is for you. Drink up before it's get cold." Taehyung pass me a cup of coffee when I return back from the counter.

"Yah, only this?" I ask him as I take a sip of my coffee. It's good.

"You should be grateful since I buy you a coffee." He acts dramatically as he stops from digging in his foods to look straight into my eyes.

"And what with those reaction?" He keeps talking when I look at him in astonishment. Haish, this guy.

"Oh, well, thank you so much for buying this delicious coffee for me." I said sarcastically while pretend to play along with him.

 

Both of us burst into a laughter and have a nice conversation while enjoying our foods. Sometimes, my mind will wander around, thinking about Jongup. What he's doing right now? Did they celebrate his birthday? Will Haeri be there too?The questions appear one by one and I need to admit it that I'm quite curious about him right now. Sometimes, I will check my wrist watch and look at my phone. Why did I act like this?

 

"Hey, did Jongup still didn't gain anything?" Taehyung asks while check on his phone.

"Yeah, no improvement at this time." But I believe he will remember me sooner or later. He will, right?

 

After 2 hours spend time with Taehyung at the cafe, I excuse myself to leave early. Taehyung didn't said anything as he just agreed with me. He said he has something to do at home and he's going to go home early too. So, we exit the cafe together and separate at the conjunction. I take a right path and he takes a left one.

We bid a goodbye and I wave both of my hand at Taehyung and wait for him to disappear into the crowd. With that, I turn to my right path and once again, I run my heart out to my house. I have a plans for Jongup. This is my chance to help him remember who am I. Ignoring the stares that people give me right now, I just run all the way to my house. It's still early to wish him a happy birthday, right?

When I reach my home, I go straight to my room and start searching for something. I open the drawer one by one but it's nowhere to be found. I crouch down to look under the bed and search through my wardrobe. The sun still shining outside my house to show that I still have enough time but I don't want to spend the whole day searching for that thing. Then, when should I give it to Jongup if I don't found the box by today.

 

"Where did I put that box?" I throw my clothes one by one as I scan through the wardrobe. It's should be here. Did I take it out and put at other places?

 

After emptying my wardrobe, still I can't find that thing. I feel like screaming right now as I check in my drawer. I take out all of the books and notes and put all of it on my study table. Where is it? It's so frustrated. I need to find it quickly.

 

"Ahhh..Where did I put it? Why I can't remember anything." I throw my body on the bed along with the clothes that I take out before. Personally, I am frustrated by my own clumsy action. I roll in annoyance on my bed while mess up my hair.

"Okay, let's stop for a while and think like a normal person." I stop from rolling and sit on the bed while try my hard to recall back. Let's see, recently, I...

"Ahhhhhh!! Why can't I remember anything?!! It's not like my head being hit or I lost my memories." The degree of stress increase in my own blood and it's really set me on fire.

 

I jump out from the bed and head to my bag to take out some chocolate in it. I used to bring some sweet to the school so I won't be sleepy in the class and get caught by the teacher. Perhaps, if I take some sweet, my mind could regain some information about the box. I pull the zip open and put my hand in it to grab some chocolate but then, something square welcoming my palm. The box!

Pulling my hand as fast as I could from the bag, I take out the box that being hide in the bag all this time. There is it. Finally, after a long stress day, I lastly found it. I hold the box in my palm and open it to revealed 2 letters in it. I open the first one and smile to myself. Then, I open the others want and my heart feel relieved yet misery.

 

Always remember me

 

and

 

Sorry, I'm late to realize all of it. I love you. 

-Jongup-

 

A smile finally draw on my face as the necklace approach my sight. Is this enough to make you remember who am I? I feel so nervous all of sudden as I stare at the necklace.

 

"You will remember me, right?"