Treasure

Metallic memories

Treasure


 

I break the hug by push Jongup's arm from me. Even being in his embrace for a while make me feel secure and warm but I don't want to be a betrayal in Haeri's eyes. It's clear now that Jongup will choose Haeri so I need to stay alert with my action. The higher I let my false hope fly, the more the fall will be.

 

''Yah, let's go for a ride. Zelo and Haeri unnie must wait for us there.'' I look around us, try to avoid his gaze.

 

He doesn't said anything so I turn my direction to a roller coaster ride. I leave him behind without take a slight of glance towards him. I just continue wander to any rides that full of people. The queue to roller coaster seems decrease since their turn to ride already reach so I decide to line-up there.

Fortunately, I see Zelo's long figure walks towards me so I raised my hand to call him. He notices my presence in the queue and jogs steadily while waves his hand to me.

 

''Noona, do you want to ride the roller coaster?'' Zelo asks me while bend a bit and grab his knee as he's panting.

''Yes, it will be more fun at night.'' I said confidently and nod to Zelo.

''Are you sure, noona? Look!'' Zelo points at some of people's facial expressions that done with their rides.

 

I slowly turn my face to where Zelo's point and gasp. Their face are totally pale after rides the roller coaster. Some of them run to the toilet and some of them almost collapse. I gulp my saliva nervously and regret with my decision.

There's a screaming everywhere. I try to cheer myself up and convince myself that I choose a right thing. I pick up the most scariest ride just to distract my mind from thinking about Jongup sudden hug. 

 

''Okay, you can do it, Haewon. Just forget anything and enjoy the rides.'' I thought to myself while put my hand on my chest.

''Yes, it's okay Zelo. It's not scary as you thought.'' I smile at Zelo.

''But we need to make sure if we're not going to have a heart attack by riding this.'' His words really turn me up and down.

 

What if we suddenly got a heart attack while riding this. Is this the end of our life? I slightly knock my head from thinking weird and nonsense things. This rides isn't that bad. I try to persuade myself by think a positive way.

Then, I can hear a really familiar voice behind of me and Zelo. I take a look at the sight behind us and it turn out to be Haeri and Jongup.

 

''Oh, hyung and noona? Do you guys want to ride with us too?'' Zelo asks them and Haeri playfully show their ticket to us.

''Of course. We need to stick together if we don't want one of us get lost in this crowded place.'' Haeri smile sweetly as she explains.

''Why don't you guys ride a ferris wheel? It's more slowly than this.'' Zelo suggest something to them but Jongup just shrug.

''We want to try something extreme like this.'' Haeri points at the roller coaster and grins.

 

My eyes keep landing on Jongup who's busily chat with Haeri. I smile bitterly when the two are happily chat together. As I'm about to turn my head to the front, Jongup suddenly looks at me and we make an eye contact. I quickly look away because I can't bare to see how Haeri keep hugging Jongup's arm.

Finally, after waiting like forever, it's our turn to ride. I look at Zelo and his smile fade when the safety guard tells us to get into our rides. I let Zelo get in first and follow after him. Jongup and Haeri take a seat behind us. I can hear Haeri's voice trembling as she talks with Jongup how scary she is now.

I just ignore them and turn my attention to Zelo. He grabs the pillars in front of him tightly and keep mumbling a praying words. I chuckle when I see him. He looks terrified yet adorable.

 

''Don't be scared, Zelo. Noona is here.'' I pat his hand and unconsciously I scream out loud when the roller coaster start to move.

 

It's kinda embarrassing since no one scream yet because the roller coaster just move slowly. It's just me. Then, I can hear Jongup's voice titter at me. I face palm myself for being a gag girl today. I'm not supposed to be like this, this is not in my plans.

I should be more feminine like Haeri to make Jongup notice my small presence. Zelo also laugh at me and it's seems like his nervous reduce a bit by my silly action.

The ride finally come to the as it stop exactly on the cliff. I swear I can see my house from here and the next thing is my sight become pitch black. Only screaming can be heard when the ride suddenly go down by the speed.

I let out a dolphin scream while tightly hold the pillar.

 

''AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!''

 

I feel sorry to Zelo because of my scream. I hope it didn't destroy his eardrum. 

After a long time, the ride eventually come to the end. The safety pillar automatically open by itself and the safety guard inform us to pull out the safety belt before we leave our seat.

I struggle to open the seat belt with my shaking hand. Zelo rush the ride and goes to only God know where. The people start to exit their seat and I still can't open my seat belt.

Then, a pair of hand help me with my belt. I raised my head up and see Jongup who's helping me to unbuckle the belt. He's too near with me as I can feel his hair tickling my cheek. I turn to my left side to cover my already red face.

He can't see me like this, it will make me look more fool.

 

''Thank you.'' I simply said when I safely get out from the roller coaster.

 

He just nods his head without say anything else. Haeri approaches us and drags Jongup with her. I just follow both of them since I don't know where's Zelo right now. I hope he's okay wherever he is.

We stop at the random shop that sell a teddy bear. It's not a certain shop that buy anything by using a money. We need to shoot something to get our prizes.

My eyes and Haeri's eyes glitter at the sight of the teddy bear that cutely set in front of us. We can't help but admire at the teddy bear. After all, we are girls. We like a soft and fluff stuff. 

 

''Jonguppie, get that for me. Pleaseeee.'' Haeri's eyes turn into a puppy eyes while she rubs both of her palm together.

''Okay. I will get it in single blow. Haewon, do you want one too? I can tell that your eyes answer everything, right?'' Jongup smirks and get ready to shoot the moving balloons in order to get the toys.

''It's okay. I don't want it.'' I smile at him.

 

I look at Jongup as he ready to shoot. His position looks like a snipper. He seems very careful to burst the balloons with his weapon. I can tell that he's really focus right now and put all of his effort in this game to get the teddy bears.

Without any hesitation, he shoots the balloon and win two teddy bears. It's like killing two birds with one stone. He gives the pink one to Haeri and the white one to me. I look at him and I can't read his mind by those expression plastered on his face.

 

Did he really gives this to me? Did he did this on purpose to get this for me too?

 

I look at him and he gives me a sweet smile before turns to Haeri.

 

Why did he does this to me? Why did he gives me such a false hope?

 

I look at my wrist watch and the needle stand straight to show that the midnight almost arrives.

 

''Unnie, should we go home now?'' I said as I saw the clouds close up to form a thick, heavy blanket. The moon also nowhere can be find.

''But I want to spend more time with Jongup.'' She pouts and look at Jongup.

''You still-''

 

My word stop when a rain drops on my cheek and I look at the dark black sky. By this time, I know it will rain heavily. My thought are totally correct when the rains drop heavily and we are all wet. I protect my teddy bear from the rain drop.

I can't let something ruin the teddy bear. This is my only treasure.

We run to find the shelter and end up in the bus stop. There's only three of us since Zelo is nowhere to be found. 

Haeri's dress is totally wet and her hair slightly damp from the sudden rain earlier. She keeps brush her arm to keep herself warm and she looks really cold. Jongup realized how tenuous she is and he quickly take off his dry sweater and put it on Haeri's shoulder.

 

''Do you feel a little warm?'' Jongup looks at fragile Haeri with his concern eyes.

 

Haeri just nod slowly and pull Jongup to sit beside her at the bench that already provide in the bus stop. Jongup sit beside her and Haeri rest her head on Jongup's left shoulder while hug her pink teddy bear.

 

''Jongup, I'm cold.'' She said with trembling voice.

''It's okay, noona. You can sleep on my shoulder since you are tired.'' He brushes Haeri's damp hair. Haeri close her eyes and sleep comfortably on Jongup.

 

I just walk in a small circle to keep myself warm. The rain keep pour heavily and it's show no sign to stop. I see a thunder clearly and my leg feel like give-up. I freeze in my track and waiting for the sound of the thunder.

When the sound of the thunder cross the sky, Jongup pull my hand and make me sit beside him. I quickly hide my face on Jongup's chest due to the loud sound. He rubs my back to calm me down.

 

''Don't be afraid cause I'm here.''