Chapter 74: Learning Seonjang's Pain

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Again, I would wake up in my bed alone. If I didn’t know any better, I would have thought I was dreaming my interactions with Yong Guk. It would simply show just how much I adore him if it were the case.

Quickly slipping out of bed and getting ready, there was one place I wanted to visit as soon as morning reached. I had a question I needed an answer to. Making my way to the prison in King Hee Bin’s castle, I prepared my appearance along with Jong Up.

Watching me stop before his cell, he looked up silently before turning his head.

“Does it really bother you to look at me?” I questioned. “…You know, Auntie Hwa and I are a lot more alike than you think and it isn’t a bad thing.”

“What are you saying?”

“If Auntie Hwa had Helios, I have Red.” I responded and saw the slight reaction in his features. 

Soon, a deep laugh burst from his mouth. “The people will resent you for that.”

“You’re wrong.” I shook my head. “Change is occurring. Something you could have been a part of.”

“I rather stay here and turn to dust before that happens.”

“Do you think about the lives you took? Do they not haunt you as you sit in here?” I questioned softly, still unable to understand how easily he went through his days following the heinous acts and even now, he doesn’t see his actions being wrong. “…Use this time well then.”

“She was wrong – she betrayed me.”

“Did she want to marry you, King Gang Han?” I questioned in response.

He kept silent. “…She should marry a human.”

“You knew where her love lied yet you forced marriage upon her…what did you think would happen? If you were her, would you give up and remain hopeless or try your best to seek some happiness?” 

He doesn’t deny my words or provide an answer. I’ll take that as the end to our meeting. Moving towards the exit where Jong Up remained, I paused once more.

“Queen Hae Won, how dare you?”

“How dare you?” I eyed King Man Soo as he grabbed the metal bars, seeking to interact with me. “Your crimes put you in here, not me.”

“I won’t stay in here for long.”

“Of course.” I answered. “You will eventually be transported to my prison.” After I reclaim my castle, that is.

Taking my leave, my thoughts drifted back to the events from last night and eventually, I came upon one of the bedrooms. Lifting my hand, I knocked on the door gently. “Jun Hong?” 

Hearing no answer, I opened the door wide enough for me to look inside.

“Jun Hong, are you awake?”

“You went to visit him.” The boy was still lying in his bed, with his back facing me. “I can smell him on you from here.”

“I had questions.” I explained while closing the door behind me. Walking inside, I finally made my way to his side on the bed and took my seat. “The smell doesn’t last – and the scent of roses will return.” I comforted him.

He finally looked up to meet my eyes. “…Everything feels so messed up.” The broken words leave through his lips.

“Why is that?”

“How am I supposed to feel after meeting my father and then Gang Han...”

“Nothing is your fault and it is entirely out of your control.” I reasoned. “The fact that you met your father for the first time after sixteen years is saddening and your goal up to this point was to capture Gang Han – a task that was achieved…you feel empty still, correct?”

“Yes.” The single syllable was voiced quietly.

“Think about what you want now. Give yourself a chance to think about you.” 

“A drive.”

“Exactly.” I smiled upon hearing him repeat that word. “Your life isn’t characterized by one goal – there are so many things you can achieve…and isn’t it nice that you have your father there to share it with you?” 

Looking up at me, Jun Hong supplied no immediate reply. 

“What is it?” I observed his expression.

“So, this was what mother meant.” He ambiguously stated. 

“Hm?” 

Though Jun Hong didn’t say anything else, I noticed he had gotten brighter – even if it may just be a slight. 

***

“Chief, you've noticed it too, right?” Stealth nudged the Knight beside him in the arm.

“Notice what?” Chief responds, his attention out the window. He was watching the forces as they started to pack their things up. The human side has surrendered, there was nothing left for them to do and no leader to receive orders from.

“Red and the Queen.”

Chief’s eyes shifted as he thought about the Knight’s words. “Well…”

“You guys are slow on the uptake, huh?” Dae Hyun appeared beside them and commented.

“You know something, Phoenix?” Stealth questioned.

“You old guys haven’t figured it out yet? The Queen is Red’s mate…is there an equivalent for humans?” Dae Hyun revealed bluntly and mumbled the last question to himself and while nodding towards the couple that left the castle to meet with the specialized forces once more.

“What?” The two Knights demonstrated their shock. “How would you know?”

Dae Hyun cleared his throat. He couldn’t exactly tell them it was from experience so he shrugged. “It’s obvious enough.”

“I’m going to look for Steel.” Stealth stated.

“For what?” Dae Hyun questioned. “He probably knows already.”

“And Steel didn’t object?” Chief responded in surprise. “Steel is a man of rules and regulations – he wouldn’t be entirely happy.” The Knight mumbled on while allowing the situation to sink in.

“Isn’t it just you guys who are old-fashioned?” Dae Hyun retorted. 

“Us? Old-fashioned?” Stealth scoffed. “We’re leading the change along with Queen Hae Won.”

“…So, aren’t you contradicting yourself if you object to Red and the Queen’s relationship?” Dae Hyun thoughtfully brought to attention.

“Wha – “ The two Knights are suddenly lost. “If you say it that way – “

“What other way should I say it?” Dae Hyun replied.

The two opened their mouths but sighs could only leave through it.

“That’s right.” Dae Hyun nodded in satisfaction. “Solar isn’t the only one around here who could use a brain.” He tapped the side of his head. “I should also be considered to be included in strategies…with my aid skills too, I’m completely well-rounded.” He looked back at the Knights. “Make sure you tell the others that I set everything straight for you all.”

Spinning around, Dae Hyun continued down the hallway.

Who said Lone Werewolves have no potential? He’s got so much that he’s starting to think it’s unfair for others.

***

“You kept your promise.” The leader of the force walked forward to greet me.

“King Gang Han is in our custody now. We’re almost there.” I announced with Yong Guk remaining silent beside me. “Where is your home?”

“The region of Him.”

I nodded my head. “Head back for now and stay with your families – I have spoken to the royals staying there and they’ll start putting the region back in order.” The royals staying at King Gang Han’s residence had agreed to let me finish the last part of my plan and while they were going to help in other areas.

“What about Seonjang?”

“We’re working on it.” I answered. “Your task is to prepare for the troops that will come back from the battlefield.”

Understanding my words, he gave me a bow and began ordering the men to clear up.

“Will they be punished?” Yong Guk asked once it was just I listening.

“No one is innocent – we will figure everything out once we stop Seonjang also.” I answered before offering greetings and smiles to the townspeople in the camps that came up to speak to me. 

***

“Are you sure this is what you want, Queen?” Steel stepped forward to get a confirmation.

I nodded m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter