Chapter 31: Acceptance

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Father, I can’t do it.”

“Haewon, barely a day and you’re already giving up?”

I have been thinking deeply about this problem ever since last night but I just couldn’t get myself to think objectively about it. And when morning reached, I insisted on contacting the man that placed me in charge. 

“It’s not that,” I denied. “This spot…I don’t want to be in it.” I don’t want to be the one that gives the order. I continued to pace back and forth as my teeth continued to gnaw on my thumb.

“Well, that’s too bad because this is what awaits your future,” he reminds me softly. Despite being angry with me just two days ago, he wasn’t brushing me off at this moment and I was thankful. 

At his words, I stopped in my movements and dropped my hand to my side while my other held the phone closely to my ear. 

“In the future, there will always be harder choices,” he continued.

“So, what should I do?” I asked softly.

“I don’t know what is right.” He paused for a moment. “But, what I can tell you is that you make a decision that will open doors and provide solutions.”

“What if people get hurt in the process?” Of course, I knew sending Daehyun and Yongguk out would help the Knights find answers to this problem but just thinking about the obstacles that they would run into – 

“The more you delay, the higher the chance more people will get hurt.” But, he knew whom I was thinking about. “Your Knights have faith in you, it’ll be nice if you had the same amount in them.”

I sighed at his words. 

“Is there anything else, Haewon?”

“Father, may I visit Jongup?” 

“Good try, I did not forget about your punishment.”

***

“Princess,” someone calls for me while knocking on my bedroom door.

“Mirae, you may come in.” I looked up from the ground from where I sat on my bed and gave the maid my attention.

“Prince Youngjae and Prince Woobin are here to visit once again.”

I had completely forgotten that they were still staying in Kkum instead of returning home.

“The Princes are waiting for you in the guest room,” Mirae continues and waits for me by the door.

Upon reaching the room, the two stood up at my presence.

I waved away their actions. “Seriously, you two.” I eyed them while making my way over and they took their seats once more. All the bowing was getting a bit redundant if I had to be honest.

“You seem stressed,” Woobin comments following a chuckle while he observes me from his seat.

“Do you have bad news?” Youngjae asked next.

Not just bad. They were terrible news. “Yesterday, the two prisoners didn’t make it,” I replied solemnly.

“And died with what they knew, didn’t they?” Woobin correctly guessed and I nodded.

“I received a call from my father last night,” Youngjae spoke out. “Kingdoms are going to implement a curfew and heavier punishment on the Werewolves.”

Well, the bad news certainly keeps coming – something my father has also failed to mention. Probably to avoid adding stress on top of the responsibility he recently presented upon me. Responsibility that I was dying to have but only now knew how unprepared I was to take it on.

“So, there’s nothing we can do?” I wondered out loud. 

“Right now, no.” Woobin sighs. 

“They’re punishing a whole race for the actions of a few.” Something the country doesn’t hesitate on doing, apparently. Though, I had hope that it wouldn’t turn out like this. 

“Yes, but they don’t know who the few are,” Youngjae explains. “Fear has driven the kingdoms to do this because of that unknown fact.”

“And the answers lied with those Werewolves that were in your castle’s hands,” Woobin added. 

The three of us leaned back into our seats. This situation felt so helpless. 

I blinked back from my thoughts. There was one option left. “There is still a way to find out information.” But, that would mean I couldn’t remain so indecisive any longer.

***

The Werewolf sped across the forest’s floor to the place he had been a few days ago when he ran into a few other unwanted Werewolves. Upon reaching the familiar ground, he looked up and sniffed the air. 

He howled, hoping he would catch some attention.

Well, the idea that the Werewolves would remain in one spot was a bit far-fetched but it was worth a try. When he hears nothing in response, Daehyun decides to break into another run, moving deeper into the forest. He comes to a sliding stop when his nose is hit with a scent. But if he noticed them, then they must have sensed his presence also. 

He decides to shift back, his athletic suit returning back to form his body. He steps into the clearing and the two Werewolves look up at his appearance. They immediately move on the defensive after sensing possible trouble.

“In that shape, you wouldn’t be able to stand a chance,” Daehyun announces while noticing the state they are in. If they took the drug like the other two prisoners did, they didn’t have much time left. 

The two Werewolves heavily panted and tried to remain on their feet when Daehyun knew all they wanted to do was fall over. 

Even though he didn’t want to say it – “we can help you.” Haewon insisted he notified them of the offer to help but sounding sincere was impossible for him as he repeated the words she forced him to say.

In response, he only received grunts.

“You’ve last longer than your counterparts, so maybe treatment will work on you,”  Daehyun goes on to mention. Even at the news of their members’ demise, the two Werewolves refused to step down – as a matter of fact, they didn’t seem so surprised either.

Seconds passed before one of the Werewolves decided to shift back. “There’s nothing that can help us.” His face contorted with fatigue as he stood before the newly admitted Knight.

“Then, you want to stay here and…die?” Daehyun questions. He looked at the two Werewolves and realized there was one person missing from this meeting. “Where’s that leader of yours?” The man that spoke to him that day in the forest.

“Seonjang has no time for you,” the Werewolf shot back.

“Looks like Seonjang didn’t have much ti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter