Chapter 21: Another Clue to the Mystery

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did anyone else notice that sharp ringing?”

Yongguk freezes at Chief’s mention. “You heard that?”

Chief looks taken aback by Yongguk’s seriousness. “Yeah, I heard it right before we got to the room.”

The Knights continued cleaning up the mess that the black Werewolf had left the bedroom in after they had cleaned up the shards from another broken window where the black Werewolf had entered through. 

Yongguk stops as a thought crosses his mind – just like the first time, a ringing goes off and the Werewolf disappears. Does it call for him?

“After we finish here, I think we should get back to the strategic room,” Stealth mentions from the side. “They’re interrogating the Lone Werewolf again.”

That’s right. The Lone Werewolf said he thinks he had met the intruder before. 

“Hey, don’t you think something is off though?” Chief looks at the two Knights in thought. “We concluded that – whoever they are – are after the Lone Werewolf but the recent attacks don’t support that.”

Yongguk had thought about it also. The attacks from the black Werewolf seemed to be aimed at Princess Haewon. Why does it feel like every time they think they are on the right track of figuring out this mystery, something happens and contradicts everything?

“Well, let’s just hurry and get to the others. Maybe they got more information that will help clear up this big mess.” Stealth sighs and urges the others to move quickly.

For now, the Princess will have to stay in a spare room while the window and the rest of the furniture gets replaced. After cleaning up what they can, the three Knights make their way into the strategic room. 

Once they opened the door, they found the Lone Werewolf, still draped in the white sheet sitting in a chair before the three other Knights. 

“Good thing you all made it.” Hero looks up to greet Yongguk and the two Knights.

Yongguk nods and makes his way in. “What do we have so far?”

Hero looks over to Daehyun so the Werewolf could continue. Dae Hyun sighs, getting frustrated that he has to repeat himself. “I remember the musky smell distinctly before I out in the woods.”

“And you smelled the same smell on the intruder last night.” Hero confirms and Daehyun nods. 

That was the only reason why he ran to the bedroom in the first place last night – he recognized that smell. “Whatever happened to me those three days, I’m sure he knows.”

Hero does agree that it makes sense since when they first found Daehyun, the Lone Werewolf had injuries that were consistent with injuries that could be caused by Werewolves. 

“Well, he’s gone now,” Stealth dejectedly mumbles on the side. Last night, even after rushing after the black Werewolf out of the window, they didn’t even have a chance to follow after him. He had disappeared so quickly.

“Why don’t we use the Lone Werewolf as bait?” Bronze suggests.

“What?” That stole Daehyun’s attention quick. “Do not use me in your schemes.”

“But, I was telling them earlier –“ Chief starts again, “ – it seems like the Princess is more of his aim.” 

“Yeah, why don’t you use her as bait?” Daehyun nonchalantly suggests in return. He looks up to catch Yongguk’s eyes. The Knight isn’t happy at all by his words, but he couldn’t have cared less.

“How do we know if he’ll return?” Steel brings everyone back to focus.

“Just look out the windows near the greenhouse. It looks like they hide at the edge of the forest there,” Daehyun once again speaks up. Once he scanned the room, he noticed everyone’s questioning looks. “Yesterday, the girl took me to her greenhouse.”

“You left your room?” Stealth stares at the Lone Werewolf.

“Yeah, did you think I could stay in an empty room for that long? But anyways, I saw the Werewolves skulking in the forest in that direction.” Daehyun remembers back to the day before. He definitely wasn’t mistaken.

“And you’ve only mentioned it to us now?” Stealth continues.

“Hey, as soon as I noticed, we were gone out of there, alright?” Daehyun snaps back. “And it wasn’t something you guys didn’t notice…,” Daehyun takes a look around the room. “…Or am I wrong?” 

“We noticed,” Yongguk answers. “But, it didn’t appear like they would attack again.”

“So right now, we need to decide.” Steel steps forward. “Who was the intruder after? The Lone Werewolf right here or Princess Haewon.”

***

I stand in the hallway beside the large window. Even with the bright sunlight streaming in, it didn’t steal my attention away from the forest.

Were the Lone Werewolves still there? With my eyesight, I wouldn’t be able to tell and even if I asked, neither my father nor the Knights would tell me. The memory from last night comes to mind. What would I do if they were to launch another attack? Would I be of any use?

Last night, I did do a little more for myself but what about Yongguk? He still got hurt because he had to protect me.

Well, baby steps I guess.

“How are you today, Princess?”

I looked up to find Yongguk already standing next to me. “You scared me.” I softly chuckled and returned my attention back outside. “I’m feeling fine.” I woke up this morning to find a slight bruising around my neck but it’ll heal.

“Is the temporary room to your liking?” Yongguk continued to pry. Of course, he was worried.

“I actually love it more than my bedroom.” I looked over at him with a bright smile. “It’s closer to yours.” But, that is a given. With the recent attacks, they certainly would put me closer to the Knights. “But, I should ask about your back.” My smile soon faltered as the image of the gashes from last night was pulled to mind. “You bled a lot.”

“I’m fine, Princess.” 

“I knew that would be your response but I had to ask.” I sighed. “Are you mine for today?” I changed the subject and Yongguk met my eyes.

“What do you mean?” 

“Well, I doubt my father would leave me alone today. So, are you going to be by my side the whole day?” I absolutely hope so.

“If that is what you want,” he replies to my happiness.

“Then first, we need to go to the castle’s library,” I cheerfully exclaimed. I grabbed his hand in my own and tugged him along.

After we reached the library, I went ahead and grabbed some books. Yongguk was beside me the whole way, offering his help to grab the bigger books whenever I needed him to. 

“With the recent attacks, my teacher has been off duty so I haven’t had the chance to ask him questions.” I dropped the large history textbooks upon the desk with a loud thud. With these books, I intend to gain a more understanding of certain individuals.

“They’re all on Lone Werewolves.” Yongguk glances at the titles of each book.

“Of course.” I smiled up at him. “People only see them as problems but there is always something more.” Maybe this w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter