Chapter 39: The Right Example

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Did he make the right decision? It was Hwa’s entire fault for causing this. Her words continued to visit his mind as he stared out the window – though he stared at nothing in particular since his mind was busy sorting her words.

A knock on his office door pulls him back.

“King, if you are ready, we can leave in a few minutes.”

Today was the day of the banquet in the region of Him. Even after threats of rebellion, the event was not canceled. Maybe it was the pride of the kingdoms that didn’t allow them to take precautions.

“Is my daughter ready?”

“I can send Red to check up on the Princess.”

“Please do.”

Though in the end, at least his plans wouldn’t be delayed.

***

Along with Yongguk, I made my way into the elevator and got off on the floor where our garage was. Today didn’t feel like a good day – specifically, after sending Jongup off this morning. 

I promised I would see him again – in a better situation but who was I to promise him that? I hadn’t exactly had the best experience or the best record. Soon my mind becomes muddled with thoughts of Sungrok. 

It couldn’t end the same way.

“Princess, please watch out.” I felt my body being gently pulled in another direction. I looked up to find the wall I nearly walked into if it hadn’t been for Yongguk who was watching over me. 

“…Thank you, Yongguk,” I muttered quietly before we rounded the corner. 

We were greeted by the rest of the Knights and my father. I could tell he was trying hard to give me a smile as I looked up to meet his eyes. Yet, the sight far comforted me. How were we exactly going to go against all of the kingdoms in Korea?

“I was hoping to see you smile.” My father laughed softly.

“In this situation, father?” I let out a forced chuckle.

“Now, how could you be a good future leader if you have no confidence?” He asked gently. “I want to see resolve in you.”

I came to a stop in front of him. “I want this to end well.”

“Then, believe.” He smoothed out my hair. “And, it shall be.” 

“This is a change,” I commented. “You’re the one that is being optimistic rather than me.”

He breathed out, calming his nerves. “Then, I’m doing a good job hiding how uneasy I feel.” He smiled down at me, humorously. “You told me that whenever I need you, you’d be there.” He thought for a moment. “Tonight, I will be the one supporting you.”

And with those words, I made a promise to myself also.

I promise that I won’t let this end the same way it did the last time.

***

“I’m not a child.” 

I sighed as I heard the words belonging to the grumpy Knight in front of me. “I know. I’m just reminding you what kind of environment we’re stepping into.” My father allowed me some moments with the Werewolf as he went ahead with Steel and Bronze towards higher ground. 

We were finally here and I never knew my heart could beat this fast.

“Remember that your actions represent the Lee Kingdom,” Yongguk speaks out from the side. “…Tonight, the Princess will need our support the most.”

I looked over at Yongguk with a smile, silently thankful for his words. I patted Daehyun’s shoulder and sent him a smile also – for different reasons. “I believe in you, Daehyun.” Picking up the side of my black dress, I walked easier toward the elevator with my two Knights in tow. “You’re about to experience one of the best things in the world.” I breathed out, trying my best to hide my inner turmoil with a small joke.

Yongguk went ahead and pressed the floor.

“Seriously?” Daehyun questions back with skepticism. 

A snort left my lips. “No. Not at all.” 

Once getting off the elevator, I stepped into the vast hall and Yongguk led Daehyun to the areas where Knights are supposed to stand guard. And I, I looked for the two people who came to my mind almost immediately as soon as I stepped foot inside this place. 

And almost instantaneously, I could already see one of them heading in my direction.

“I was wondering when you would show up.” Woobin stops in front of me. 

I greeted him with a genuine smile. “Were you waiting for me?”

He looked over his shoulder and quickly caught Youngjae’s eye. With a quick movement of his hand, he motioned for him to come over. Once the Prince arrived, Woobin finally spoke the words on his mind. “You’re the one that said you needed to speak to us,” he pointed out.

“Is there something wrong?” Youngjae wondered.

While being here with them, I noticed something. This informal atmosphere that lingered among the three of us. Was this the feeling of closeness? I wondered and at the same time, it felt good. 

“I’m glad to see you’re okay,” I directed my words at Youngjae before returning to the current focus. “Tonight, I need your support.” The two looked at me in confusion and I continued, “there is no doubt in my mind that it is going to be hard but I can’t do it alone.”

Woobin immediately sighs. “You worry me when you say things like that.”

I chuckled at his words.

“What is happening tonight?” Youngjae chose to ask the important question – a question that I fear they wouldn’t like the answer to.

“Something you don’t get to see very often,” I vaguely answered with an unsure smile. “A demonstration…it’s better if you watch and when you do, please listen carefully and think about it.”

“Haewon, that doesn’t tell us anything.” Woobin suddenly dropping my title makes me look at him in surprise. So my feeling of closeness from before wasn’t a mistake.

“Well, Woobin, this is the time where you get to decide whether or not we will be friends,” I answered with amusement. A word that felt strange as soon as it left my lips. 

“What are you talking about?” Youngjae blurted. 

“You’ll get to see soon.” I patted his shoulder casually. “Just decide tonight.” I walked away from them, knowing that I left them dumbfounded. But, I hope they heed my words. Tonight will decide my allies and enemies. My father’s words of warning crossed my mind once more.

Now, let me find a quiet corner and go over my thoughts –

“It’s nice to run into you again, Princess Haewon.” 

I turned my head to see Prince Kangjun. The one with the Knight that was named interestingly. Interestingly, in a terrible way as I remember correctly.

“Prince Kangjun, how are you?” Finding support was all I could think about as I faced him. 

“You remember me?” He asked in surprise. “I made an impression the last time then,” he remarked with a smile.

More like his Knight made an impression. 

“We could have spent more time together if my Knight didn’t cut it short,” he continued before sighing in regret. “Speaking of which, he should be present right now,” Prince Kangjun mumbled impatiently while looking around. “He never seems to do anything right.”

Within seconds, the same Knight from last time appeared in front of us with something in his hand.

“It was about time you brought it,” the Prince rebuked the Knight.

A mere ring it was. I held back the irritating feeling as I stared at the spoiled Prince. I didn’t allow the feelings to show because as of right now, those were unimportant compared to the good connections I desired. 

“Princess Haewon,“ he began while slipping the ring on. “I hear you’re a Werewolf sympathizer.” He continues to play with the ring on his finger.

What’s with that comment so suddenly? 

“After all those attacks on your castle, you’ve been quite lenient on the Werewolves so there could be no ot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter