Chapter 73: King Gang Han's Reason

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Bursting through to his bedroom, I woke the peaceful slumbering boy. “Jun Hong, I found him.” I ran towards the side of his bed and pulled the blanket off of him. “Wake up.”

“What?” His eyes slowly opened to see me. “Are we under attack?” The drowsy words slipped from his lips.

I knelt before the bed and clasped my hands on his shoulders. “Jun Hong, I found him.” I emphasized.

There was brief silence while he was trying to focus. “…Who did you find?”

“Jun Hong.” I couldn’t hide the smile that stretched onto my face. “Helios. He’s not dead.”

“This is a sick joke if you’re lying.” He threw his blanket off of him completely before rushing after me as I ran out of the room first. Following me all the way to the recovery room, I looked at his expression once his eyes fell on the individual sitting up in bed. Hero had only finished treating him a while ago. Slowly, Jun Hong makes his steps closer.

The Knights looked and noticed the young boy’s appearance. Stepping aside, they made room for him. 

Helios looked from his lap up to the boy and silently, I watched the reunion from the side.

“…Jun Hong?” Helios’ voice broke slightly while calling out his son’s name.

Jun Hong nodded his head. 

“It’s your first time seeing me, right?” The Knight asked softly. “Meeting me even.”

“I recognize your scent.” Jun Hong replied while recalling his memories. “Outside my bedroom door sometimes back at the castle.” 

The Knight’s expression shifted to one to show he was happy that Jun Hong managed to notice something so little. “Can I hold you hand?” Helios questioned while reaching out. 

Not leaving Helios’ hand empty for long, Jun Hong placed his hands into his. 

“You look just like your mother.” Helios offers the biggest smile he could muster in his weakened condition. 

The resemblance between father and son shouldn’t go unnoticed either.

This was the first meeting between them but I saw how much love Helios had for Jun Hong – never meeting him but being his son was enough reason to.

My smile soon disappears at the thought of the person who made this all impossible at first – the person that prolonged this meeting and encouraged the pain.

***

“You visited the Queen’s bedroom the other night.”

Yong Guk froze upon hearing his father’s words. The other Knights have emptied the room, leaving just the two of them.

“Did she rest well?” Steel asked casually.

“Yes, she did.” His son responds but there was a noticeable strange silence once he answered. And once deciding there would be no better time, Yong Guk took the initiative. “Father, I need to speak to you about a matter.” 

“What is it?”

Be confident. Those were the only words of advice he could give to himself. “I have gone above and beyond my duties. I have never asked for anything in return – “ This was so hard, so terribly hard for him. What would his father say? He wouldn’t be able to handle his father’s disapproval. “The Queen and I – “

“So, she is your mate?” His father decided to clarify after seeing how his son was struggling.

Taken aback, Yong Guk couldn’t form any words so instead he nodded his head.

“I see.” His father sighed and Yong Guk looked up to show his confusion. His father’s reaction was too casual for it to be true. “The Queen had beaten you to it.” Steel reveals.

“…She told you?” But, Queen Hae Won had never mentioned that fact to him.

“She was just like you, afraid of what I would say.”

The younger Knight didn’t know how to respond in this situation. “What did you tell her?”

“I told her to work hard.” His father states matter-of-factly.

Releasing a slight breath, Yong Guk continued. “Then, you will say the same to me – “

“No.” Steel denies and Yong Guk is rendered speechless once more. “I would tell you that not everyone in this world would look upon you two kindly.”

“Then, I’ll protect her from it.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear.” Steel didn’t doubt his son’s words. Yong Guk has already sacrificed so much in his life. “…You have grown considerably.” His father mumbled quietly and with ample amount of pride.

***

This time, I wandered towards the group outside the castle. Days have passed but they haven’t moved from their positions and I felt even more rushed after finding Helios. 

I wanted the end to it all.

Their expressions demonstrated how my appearance was nothing less than a surprise. Standing before the person that they call the force’s leader, I met the man’s gaze. 

“How are you?”

“…I’m fine.”

“You’re not tired?” I questioned only because I was. And I hope they were feeling the same way so that we could understand one another.

“We’re running on orders, Queen Hae Won. Now that you’re here, we have to arrest you.”

“Because of orders?” I repeated. “Do you not have your own thoughts?” Their threat didn’t frighten me. Steel was waiting back at the castle – he’ll do something if this meeting turns bad.

“What do you mean?” He stared back at me. He couldn’t tell where I was going with it.

“What is your drive?”

Again, he wasn’t sure what to say. “I hope to win the war.”

“I can end the war.” I answered. 

Once registering my words, a few chuckles left his lips. Obviously, he didn’t believe me.

“I really can.” I reinforced my previous words. “So, will you also listen to me if I promise it?”

“I follow King Gang Han –“

“Because he said he could bring victory.” I confirmed. “But, when does the victory supposed to come? Until there is no one left standing? Until everyone loses someone precious to them…I’m telling you that I can end it.”

“How do you plan on doing it?” The man questioned back. 

“Without the sacrifices of the people.” I responded. “Surely, I’m not the only one that has lost people to this war and conflict.”

He struggled to think of what to say.

“Tonight, my Knights and I are leaving to take care of some matters. Do not stop us.” 

“Queen Hae Won – “

“Look around you.” I motioned at the people within the camps. They were gathering around, watching our interaction. “They are all tired, in pain, and sick of this war. They believe in me…so, do you think you can fight through them all?”

He looked around at the faces that surrounded his forces.

“In any case, if I break my promise, I’ll come back and allow you to arrest me.” I left to return back to the castle and allowed him to think over my words.

***

“Queen Hae Won, I heard you were going to King Gang Han’s castle tonight.” Helios broke through the Knights and appeared before me in the meeting room with the Kings and Princes. 

“Yes, I am.”

“I would like to come along.” He stood before me and said.

“You should rest –“

“I want to be there.” Though his words were soft, it held so much strength behind them. “I have to be.”

“Can you keep up?” I gave in. This wasn’t a fight I could deny him of.

“Yes.” 

“We’ll get him a suit. Queen.” Bronze added.

***

“Jun Hong, you stay with Helios.” I ordered but even if I didn’t say so, the boy wasn’t going to leave his father’s side. He has been visiting Helios in the recovery room and making sure he was no longer hurt. 

Moving towards Dae Hyun, I waited for the gates to open. 

“Hae Won.” Young Jae comes to see us off. “Have your Knights howl three times consecutively.” I looked back at him curiously before a smile appeared on his lips. “You’ll have your answer once you’re there. I’ve prepared well for you.”

After a short delay, the last Knight joins us. 

“Red, don’t push yourself too much.” Steel warns his son before shifting.

“I’m fine.” Even if Yong Guk didn’t feel well, I knew enough that he wouldn’t ever just sit and wait. “Queen.” He reached out his hand and I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter