Chapter 33: Who You Are is Enough

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How was everything when I was gone?” King Hyunjin looked toward Yongguk in curiosity. “Did my daughter do well?”

“We managed to arrest two of the Werewolves involved with the attack on the castle, King. But, the leader managed to escape,” Yongguk replies politely. The rest of the Knights were also called to the King’s office after he had gotten back from his trip to the summit. “And Princess Haewon did wondrously.”

King Hyunjin nods his head. “I’ll send word to the other kingdoms.” A small smile appeared on the King’s tired face due to Yongguk’s comment. “Regarding Haewon, I had no doubts.”

“There is also something else you should know,” Yongguk continues. “The leader, they call him Seonjang and he may be enlisting more Werewolves to his cause.”

“How do you know?” The King questions back.

“He told me to join.” Yongguk didn’t think much of it but figure it was best to say everything. “He may be saying the same things to other Werewolves he comes into contact with.”

“I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about,” Steel adds from the side. “It’s not easy to gather Werewolves in our current time.” Most are already used to their way of living, this problem shouldn’t grow any larger.

“We shouldn’t conclude anything yet.” King Hyunjin takes a seat at his desk. “But now that we have a change of laws, we need to watch what would result from it closely.” King Hyunjin didn’t know if he was overthinking but he couldn’t shake the feeling. “I don’t see good things coming from it.”

***

After greeting my father yesterday, our reunion didn’t last long before he had to get to his office to catch up on the paperwork he couldn’t complete due to the trip to the summit. 

And this morning, I already had a goal to complete.

I needed to somehow sneak past the Knights and my father to visit Jongup and bring him the rose I promised I would the day before. Yet, as I made my way down the hall – which was nowhere near the prison tower, I was already caught.

“Haewon, where are you heading to in such a rush?”

By who? My father. I thought he would be the easiest to avoid since I figure he would be spending most of the day in his office. “To the library, father.” Lucky for me, the library was on the way.

“Why is there a rose in your hand?” He curiously asked.

I looked down at the rose held between my fingers. A rose that I had made sure to remove the thorns from so Jongup wouldn’t prick himself when he holds onto it. Focusing back on the question, I shrugged. “Is it strange that I do?” 

“No,” my father responds humorously. “I heard you held up well while I was gone.”

“Thanks to your words, father,” I reminded him. Because of his phone call, I gained a bit more confidence. “And also due to the Knights. You were right, I should believe in them more.”

After hearing my words, a smile spread across his lips and the next second, I saw it falter. “I’m afraid I don’t have as good of news.”

“I’ve heard,” I responded softly before clarifying, “about the summit, I mean.”

“And, the laws are mandatory. They need to be implemented under every kingdom, without exception,” my father further adds.  

The unhappiness spreads within me. “Did anyone oppose?”

“I tried, Haewon.” 

In a situation where it was despairing, I found some glimmer of hope. “Thank you for trying, father.” I returned a smile. Though, I left him a note, I didn’t think he would carry it out and for that, I am grateful. “Since you have been honest with me, I should also do the same.” Something else comes to mind as he stands before me.

“Are you actually on your way to see the black Werewolf in the prison?” 

He caught on so fast. “Yes, I am.”

Instead of responding immediately after, my father walked forward and patted my head as he passed. “Keep the visit short.”

***

“Princess, are you here to visit the black Werewolf prisoner?”

I had long stopped being questioned for a while so I stared at the guard curiously. “Is that a problem?”

“There may be a problem in regards to your safety, Princess,” he responds.

“And why is that?”

“It seems last night the prisoner was giving trouble to the guards on the night shift,” he begins to explain. “I was notified that he had become violent.”

“Are we talking about the same Werewolf?” Jongup, who had been so gentle recently?

“Yes, Princess.” He nods confidently. “It seems it wasn’t the first time that has happened since he had been admitted.”  

That's news to me. “Then, I’ll be sure to be careful then,” I said only to reassure the guard. I have yet to witness what he is speaking about and am not as concerned.

“Should I visit him with you, Princess?”

“I’ll be okay.” I smiled at him, thankful for his offer and he went on to open the door for me to enter. I traveled up the stairs to the floor and walked in. “Here is my promise to you, Jongup,” I greeted the Werewolf.

I reached through the bars and handed him the rose and he equally took it in happiness. He sat back and stared down at the red flower in his hands. 

“I don’t know how long the rose will last but I’ll continue to replace it for you.” When the time comes, I suppose. Normally, I wouldn’t do such a thing but seeing the smile upon his face made it worth it. I sat down onto the floor before the cell and looked through the bars. 

“Roses.” 

I nodded my head, hearing his clear voice. “Why do you like roses so much, Jongup?”

“Roses.” He repeated as he placed his hands through the bar, the same hand that was holding out the rose towards my nose.

“You like the scent?” 

He nodded his head once more in response to my question and pulled back his hand. 

“What else do you like?”

It took him a second but he suddenly patted his chest. “Jongup.”

His answer brought chuckles spilling from my lips. “That’s good.” I remember telling him it’s nice to be able to say what he liked. “You should love yourself,” I agreed with him. “I can’t stay long today, though,” I said as he gave me his attention and I’m sure he has noticed. “You smell them, don’t you?” 

I watched as Jongup sent me a nod.

My next thought brings me to gather his attention. This isn’t exactly what I came here for but the Knights shouldn’t be the only ones that need to find answers – I need to help them somehow. “Jongup,” I called out to him. “I need to know what they’re planning.”

Like I wanted him to, he kept his eyes on me.

“People can get hurt if I don’t.” I wonder if he understood how urgent the situation was but at the same time, what did I expect him to say? Jongup couldn’t speak – at least not in complete sentences. 

I sighed upon only receiving silence. 

“I’m sorry, Jongup,” I added softly. “I know you’re a victim too.”

At my words, he shook his head. “Jongup…monster.”

It was a single word. A single word that brought

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter