Chapter 63: Hidden Enemies and Revealing Allies

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Feeling a slight ache in my body, groans leave my lips. My eyes slowly open and a strange sight appears before me. So strange that it automatically jerks me upright and completely out of my drowsiness. The ache was no longer the focus. 

“What is this?” 

I stared around the prison cell and my mouth fell opened.

Footsteps soon approach and halt right outside of the cell bars. “Queen Haewon.”

“What is the meaning of this?” I questioned the man in the uniform. Eyeing his clothing, I realize he's a member of King Ganghan’s specialized forces. 

“You are arrested for treason," he says curtly and offers no other explanation.

“Treason?” I gaped upon hearing the word.

“Yes, against the human forces.”

“Excuse me, but what proof do you have?” I asked in anger and moved to my feet. “What proof do you have against me that you have thrown me into prison? Without a single trial–,"

“King Ganghan’s orders.” 

“King Ganghan?” Did I expect anything less? “Where are my Knights?”

“They were also arrested as your accomplices.”

“I want to speak to someone," I demanded as I marched up to the bars. 

“King Ganghan said no visitors.”

“Have King Ganghan to come here then.”  

“I am told to remain here and watch you.”

My hands gripped the metal bars tightly at his dismissive attitude. These were just excuses he was feeding me. The whole purpose of keeping me here is to just isolate me. 

“This is illegal.” I glared at the silent man on the other side of the bars. “That tea that was sent to my room– King Ganghan was behind it, wasn’t he?”

“Queen Haewon, please take a seat and when I have more information, I will share it.” After those words, he walked away and I was left alone once more.

A scoff promptly slipped from my lips.

I can’t believe this.

***

Today, their summit is left by none other than their chose commander, King Ganghan.

“This morning, Queen Haewon and her Knights were arrested–," 

At the announcement, the royals were quick to react with gasps and questioning looks. That was not the outcome they had expected. 

“Their charge- treason.”

King Minjong stood to his feet in surprise. “King Ganghan, how could you decide that on your own?” 

“King Minjong, I think you are mistaken about something,” the King answered gently. “That is part of my responsibility as your Commander.”

“The Queen has done nothing wrong.”

“Yesterday, Queen Haewon made a visit into the camps. There is a well-known group of Werewolf sympathizers located there and one of its members made contact with her during her visit.”

“That means nothing,” Prince Youngjae joined King Minjong and vehemently denied King Ganghan’s words.

“We are in the midst of war, my fellow royals,” King Ganghan appealed to the people before him. “Our biggest concern is the division amongst our people. I think we can all agree that Werewolf sympathizers are the main contributors. Their beliefs will continue to hurt us in our goal. They do not support their own people but they support our enemies... if that isn’t treason, I don’t know what is.”

The audience grows silent.

Youngjae thinks over the King’s words. “Queen Haewon is not a Werewolf sympathizer–,"

“I have accused her and not once did she deny,” King Ganghan interjects. “You all are witnesses.”

Youngjae didn’t know what to say but he knew this isn’t right.

“I am looking out for our people. We need to make sure that our enemies cannot hurt us, even if the enemies are our friends, families, or among us,” King Ganghan continues.

“He is right,” King Mansoo stands to the King’s defense. “The Commander is putting our well-being as top priority. Queen Haewon is someone who would have only hurt us in our search for victory, she has no intention of supporting us in this war, and I believe she is only looking out for her own benefit.”

“I apologize for not discussing this matter together but, I was in a situation where I needed to act quickly,” King Ganghan explains. “Queen Haewon is a traitor and no status can protect her from her crimes.”

Refusing to hear any further objections on the matter, he quickly transitions.

“As you all have heard– our troops who have been guarding the borders of Him and Sowon have intercepted a small group of Werewolf rebels. Right now, that is what we need to focus on.”

***

The Knights remained silent in their cells. There isn’t much they could do. Quite literally, their hands and legs are bounded to prevent any means of escape. 

“How do you think the Queen is?” Stealth finally breaks the silence.

“At least, I don’t think she will be tied up like us,” Hero responds. 

“What do you think they plan to do with us?” Chief asks.

“He can do anything to us,” Daehyun responds. Everything has been left up to King Ganghan and noone is stopping him. 

What mindless humans.

Their ears suddenly react to the sudden sounds of footsteps traveling down the stairs. Hopefully, the individual would come on their floor so they could get some answers.

After a few minutes, their thoughts are satisfied.

The door at the end of the hall opens up before slamming shut and before them stood the very person who held the key to their futures.

“Have you all been waiting for me?” King Ganghan stares down at their faces with his own that demonstrated nothing but pride. 

“Get on with it, would you?” Daehyun didn’t have the patience at the current moment. He refuses to let the idiot rub this in his face. 

King Ganghan places his hands behind his back in a casual manner. “It is a waste to just simply get rid of you all so, I have come up with an alternative... you join the troops to fight against the Werewolf rebels and I’ll spare your lives.”

“In other words, we’re handing our freedom over to you,” Daehyun concludes curtly.

“Better that than execution, isn’t it?” King Ganghan motions his men over and in their hands hold cuffs and a small device.

“What’s that for?” Daehyun eyed the objects.

“This morning, our forces have clashed at the borders of Sowon and Him and it has now become a full blown battle. If you are to agree, you will be transported there to the frontlines. Only then, would your cuffs be removed.”

“And that small thing there,” Daehyun points out with a nod of his head.

“This?” King Ganghan holds up a pill-sized object for the Knights to see. “This device will never be removed– it will be shot up into your arm to ensure your loyalty remains with the humans. Every time you deny orders, I can send a little shock that will render you paralyzed until you do follow the orders.”

“Idiot.”

Jongup’s sudden interruption steals everyone’s attention.

“What did you say?” King Ganghan peered in his direction.

“Idiot,” Jongup repeats without hesitation.

“Ignore him– he’s like a parrot. He repeats what he hears,” Daehyun merely says before correcting himself, “He didn’t hear that from us... but, what were you saying?”

King Ganghan turns back to the Knight. “So, what do you say?”

“I’m a little interested,” Daehyun responds.

“Phoenix,” Stealth called out.

“What?” Daehyun blurts. “Come on, guys. I’m a Lone Wolf by nature. We only look out for ourselves in the end. I have a bigger chance of survival out there than in here.”

King Ganghan, pleased with the Knight’s response, ordered his men to open the cell and quickly put the reinforcements into place. They cuffed the Knight before removing the bindings and pulled out a small gun as a means to inject the device into the Knight’s arm.

“Does that hurt?” Daehyun stares at it with unease but, he had no time to hear the answer. Within seconds, a sharp pain encourages a low yell from him. Underneath his skin, he could see the blinking blue light. “What? Is that radioactive?”

“Men, move him out,” the King orders. “I have to make another visit soon.”

The men carry out their order and pulls Dae Hyun to his feet. As he's being ushered out, he glances at each of the Knights before he passes all of their cells completely. 

“Where are you taking me?” 

“We are to immediately transport you to the frontlines,” one of the men repeat King Ganghan’s words from moments before.

Once outside the castle, he is mercilessly pushed inside a truck. Daehyun sits there clueless in between the men and reality only hits him when the engine starts.

What has he done?

***

“You decided to finally come, King Ganghan?” I stare up at him. 

“I thought you would be more angry than this.” He looked at me through the metal bars.

“I’m past anger.” I’m more furious than anything but, I wouldn’t get answers that way. “What tricks did you pull to get me here? Was it the tea that you drugged? Or the lies you possibly told the other royals so that they wouldn’t fight you on your decision?”

“Being Commander makes everything easy,” he responds. “I told you not to blame me.”

“How far would you go?”

“Who knows,” he replies. “But, I came here with some news– another one of your Knights have betrayed you. They’re real dependable, aren’t they?”

“Do you think I would believe something like that?” I could almost laugh even in this situation.

“Do you want to know which one?” King Ganghan continues. “…The rowd

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter