Chapter 28: The Things We Prefer

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

First thing in the morning, I knew exactly where I needed to be. Pushing my legs to move faster, I rushed to the greenhouse – also making sure to bring something along with me.

Upon opening the door, the sight of the workers replacing the windows put me in a frantic state.

“Wait!”

The two workers looked up in shock, thinking they had done something wrong. “Did we do something not to your liking, Princess?” 

I begin to stutter, unsure of what to exactly say. “Instead of that glass…would it be okay to put in a window I can open?” 

The two shared a look before facing me again. “We would have to get a confirmation from the King before doing that, Princess.”

“I’m sure I can persuade him – if you can just do it.” I motioned for them to continue and sent them a smile to ease their hesitation.

Leaning against the doorway, I watched their hands move quickly and efficiently after finding the specific style of window I asked for. It was necessary if I didn’t want Jongup breaking in to be with the roses. I mean, I’m doing my father a favor. With less windows broken, less money to pay for damages.

Once the workers were done, they bowed before leaving completely. 

I walked into the greenhouse and although everything was cleaned – there was still something different about it but the feeling of distress from yesterday was gone. I set the first aid kit down on the bench before taking my seat.

Jongup will most likely visit today and ever since last night, I wasn’t able to forget his wounds. 

I wonder why he puts himself through something like that.

I stood up in a start upon remembering my other tasks I wanted to do today.

***

It’s been two days that these Werewolves have been in our prison…it has also been two days where Hero has worked nonstop to find some sort of cure to help them. I arrived at the prison tower hoping to find they were okay but they only looked worse.

Their eyes were bloodshot like they hadn’t slept, their clothes torn, they seem out of breath as they continued to pant against the bars, and occasionally their noses would begin to bleed – something that was characteristic of an overdose – according to Hero’s words. Unlike the first time I saw them, they weren’t confined to the floor due to the effects of the drug, this time, they were running around the cell and banging on the walls and bars.

This was complete madness.

And I didn’t understand how correct that description was.

“Princess, are you sure you want to be here?” Instead of insisting I leave, Yongguk chose a different approach than what he would normally do.

“It doesn’t feel right for me to avoid something like this,” I responded, hoping he wouldn’t chase me away. How could I return to the comfort of my room while they suffered like this?

Yongguk thinks about it for a moment before nodding his head. “As long as you stay there,” he said softly and like he said, I stood by the gate and didn’t move an inch to come in closer.

Hero sighs. “Nothing is working.” He ran his hand through his hair due to the frustration of the case. “Their bodies are breaking down – so are their mental states and I can’t fix it.”

“How come this didn’t happen to Daehyun?” I asked from the side.

“It seems the Werewolves didn’t inject him with much of the substance,” Hero begins to explain. “Or maybe its effects are different for everyone.”

That explanation is possible if it were to explain how Daehyun couldn’t remember when he out for those three days during which those Lone Werewolves most likely tried to use him as their puppet.

For what?

A new world order?

Suddenly, a loud noise brought me back from my thoughts. The two Werewolves had broken out into violent coughing fits and the Knights reacted to take the next step. I straightened up while I stared at them through the bars in worry. In response, Yongguk had unlocked the cells so Hero could get to them. 

Seeing it as their chance, the first one escaped and ran for the gate. Unfortunately, I was there and I flinched in surprise when Yongguk managed to grab him before he could reach me. Immediately smashing him to the floor with his arms behind his back, Yongguk looked up at me. 

“Princess –“

“I’m sorry, I’m in your way,” I said before Yongguk had a chance to say anything. He struggled to keep the Werewolf restrained on the ground before I said to ‘stay safe’ and left.

While walking back through the hallway, I saw Daehyun heading towards me.

“Hey, you,” he called out loudly and pointed at me. “You totally skipped breakfast.” He stopped once he was in front of me.

“I didn’t do it purposely,” I chuckled and answered honestly. Pushing away the images of what I witnessed in the prison tower, I remembered that the first thing I did this morning was rush to the greenhouse.

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere,” he continues to pester me about it. “Let’s get going.” He motion for me to follow after him and in order to stop his further nagging, I did so.

We arrived at the dining hall and to my surprise, I saw the table already set and Daehyun walked around to take his seat.

“What are you still standing there for?” He looked up from where he sat. “Let’s eat.”

“I thought you liked eating alone,” I comment while taking a seat across from him and I think it was the first time I have ever seen a Knight sitting at the dining table – though it didn’t bother me in the least.

Daehyun doesn’t answer right away and instead grabs his utensils. He kept his eyes on me while he filled my bowl of rice with sides. “I don’t like talking while I’m eating,” he reminds me as he begins to dig into his bowl. “I also don’t like people who don’t finish their food.”

“Then, I should work to get on your good side, right?” I chuckled light-heartedly before picking up a spoon. Once in a while I would look up to see Daehyun checking on me and on the bowl I was working on finishing. “Don’t worry, I’ll get every grain of rice,” I joke – something Yongguk would say and Daehyun goes back to eating.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter