Chapter 44: What the World May Hold

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know I was wondering about something…,” Daehyun begins slowly at the breakfast table. I looked up at him but my eyes were drawn towards that big bruise on the side of his cheek. Unlike me, he didn’t seemed bother by it. Though, I’m quite surprised. I thought I would hear complaints. “Doesn’t any of the your father’s Knights have mates?”

That was a subject we haven’t touched on often. “A few lost their mates and the others have chosen to give up on finding one,” I responded. None of the two being less sad than the other. To choose not to find happiness in that aspect in one’s life is just as despairing.

“Lost?” Daehyun repeated.

“It’s not very common but there are female Knights, they face the same risks as male Knights do.” Just like how male Knights could be killed in action, it could also happen to female Knights– I knew for a fact that’s how Yongguk lost his mother.

“I hope I don’t end up with a female Knight then,” he says suddenly.

“I thought you didn’t have a choice in the matter.” To Werewolves, mates were predestined. 

“I’ll have to avoid all contact with any female Knights I may possibly run into.” 

I chuckled– I’m pretty sure all that effort was useless. 

***

“You’re smart, right?”

Himchan stares at Daehyun in surprise. The three of us have resumed our hang out in the castle’s library once more. 

Since Himchan didn’t respond, Daehyun continued, “Is there a way I can possibly choose my mate?”

I looked on amusingly from my seat at the desk. I insisted that it was impossible but he wasn’t content with that answer from me. 

“I don’t think that’s achievable unless you trick fate.”

“Yeah, let’s go with that plan,” Daehyun responds not understanding that though Himchan mentioned it, he didn’t mean it sincerely.

“Daehyun, I’m always one for optimism but I know when something is impossible.” At my words, he heaved a sigh.

“I just want to choose my own mate,” he said in frustration yet, it only brings laughter leaving from my lips. “And the last thing I want is to fall in love with a female Knight.”

“Nothing has happened yet. Why are you worrying about it?” I ask as I take a glance of Himchan and notice the sudden change in his expression and my smile falters. 

He carefully composes himself and sends Daehyun a small smile. “I hope you don’t either.”

“That’s why I’m saying I’ll just avoid the people I don’t want,” Daehyun replies.

“You’ll be avoiding a lot of people,“ Himchan responded. “The female Knights, humans –“

“Humans?” That certainly required my attention.

“Yes, Princess,” Himchan confirms. “That is possible, though you won’t actually be witnessing a real life example.” 

That’s true, I haven’t exactly seen a Werewolf and human pair. And honestly, it would just be another case where the public finds something to look down upon.

“What? I have to worry about that too?” Daehyun continued to fuss.

“Please refrain from being so dramatic, Daehyun,” I said in exasperation. “Why worry about something that you have no control over?” Just enjoy it when the time comes.

“You don’t understand,” he retorted. “What if I end up with a female Knight?”

“Be happy,” I merely responded. 

He looked at me discontentedly. “What if I end up with a human?”

I thought about it for a moment and realized same rule applies. “…Be happy.” To me, the solution was simple. If it’s inevitable, why not make the most of it? 

“Did you forget what kind of world we live in?” Daehyun asked in reply while I shrugged. 

Seeing my lack of a real response, he ended up forcing himself to drop the subject. 

***

Himchan walked beside Daehyun, both heading towards the Knights’ quarters. Like the past two evenings he was here, he would have dinner with the Knights. Then, he would head back to the room he was temporarily staying in, while the few Knights resumed their errands or training. 

He still wasn’t quite trusted and he had been handed over to Daehyun, who was supposed to lead him back to the room just to make sure he wasn’t wandering off somewhere by himself.

“How long is your Prince planning on leaving you here?” Daehyun asked, breaking the silence.

“Prince Kangjun only told me to stay put until he returned,” Himchan replies. 

Daehyun took a quick glimpse at the Knight beside him. “He sounds annoying.” He doesn’t bother to mind his manners.

“You could get into a lot of trouble if someone heard you saying that.” 

Though, he kindly warns him, Daehyun didn't appear afraid. “I would like to see them catch me first.” 

From the first time he met Daehyun, Himchan noticed something that set the Knight apart from the others he had met. The way he spoke to the Princess and the way he acted around her– it wasn’t proper behavior for a Knight.

“Do you not like Princess Haewon?”

“What?” Daehyun snorted at the random question. “I had a choice on whether or not I wanted this job, would I take it if I disliked her?”

“I don’t think there’s too much of choice there. Anyone would become one, no one would reject Knighthood.”

“That only applies to you guys.” And when Daehyun said ‘you guys’, he meant Family and Independent Werewolves who live simply to serve under royalty. “I was born a Lone Werewolf.” 

The unexpected answer takes Himchan by surprise. “Lone Werewolf?” Like many other Knights, Himchan was also there when the Princess announced to the royals that she would be taking in the Lone Werewolf as her Knight but it had gone unnoticed by him that she had another. 

He honestly couldn’t believe it. A Princess having Lone Werewolves as Knights is unheard of– well, that was until now. 

“Why did you suddenly get so quiet?” Daehyun’s voice draws Himchan back from his thoughts.

“I just didn’t realize,” Himchan vaguely responds.

Daehyun, not knowing Himchan’s real thoughts, had added. “She could be foolish and naïve but, feeling accepted is more important to me.” Simply, the Princess accepted him. His true self and all of his flaws, she whole-heartedly accepted it. 

Himchan understood then that Prince Kangjun should have told him more about this castle and its residents. 

***

Early in the morning, I was met with news that Prince Kangjun had decided to come back once more. 

With a knock on the door, I tiredly stepped inside the guest room to greet the Prince who last visited two days ago. Was he back to retrieve his Knight? I held back a yawn the moment I met his eyes.

“Good morning, Princess Haewon.” He smiled brightly.

At that moment, I couldn’t seem to motivate myself to return the expression because truthfully, I have started to find this situation less amusing than before. He was explicitly up to something but due to his lack of skills in hiding it, it is utterly annoying. He isn’t much of a brain, is he?

“Prince Kangjun, have you come back for your Knight?” I asked while taking a seat and he mirrored my action.

He replied, with the same irking grin, “I’m actually here to request for a longer stay.”

I lifted my eyes from him then to Himchan, standing stiffly behind the Prince’s seat. “Not that I mind that Guard stays here but I find it strange that you insist leaving him here.” 

The Prince let out a laugh, as if to ease my suspicion. “I trust you, Princess Haewon. Is there anything strange about that?”

Again, that wasn’t enough to quell my misgivings. “…Is that all you’re here for?”

He nodded with a bright smile. “That’s all.” 

Oh, how easily I saw through that.

***

“Princess.”

I tear my eyes away from the window and look at Yongguk, walking up to where I am standing. “I’m surprised you’re not training.” 

“I’m surprised you’re out here in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter