Chapter 69: On Our Way to Recovery

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“We lost Yoggu.” Si Hoo observed the person’s back view. Seonjang had been staring out of the window, twisting that whistle in his hands carelessly. 

“We gained something better.” Seonjang responds. “We caused further division, the human forces can’t recover from this.” 

“Why did we leave?” Si Hoo asked.

“What’s the point in fighting someone that was going to die?”

Yong Guk defeated more than a few of his men. Staying there would only encourage more unnecessary loss. And now, they have returned to the first castle they have taken sheltered in once before. The volunteers that chose to stay back made their escape possible.

Their efforts and sacrifices would not be forgotten.

Si Hoo thought back. “So, what is our next move?”

“Give me some time, I’ll think of something.” They had so many options, so many advantages. And Seonjang chuckled at the thought. 

Humans weren’t going to win for a second time. He has learned from the mistake made in the first war. 

“Watch Serri.” Seonjang suddenly says. Back at Yoggu, she was the last to leave, choosing to reason with Yong Guk but ended up coming back empty-handed. “I don’t need her sympathy for Yong Guk to be a problem later on.”

***

My brows furrowed as my consciousness started to return bit by bit. Opening my eyes, I was lost at the current situation. I didn’t exactly know where I was or why my body felt so stiff. 

Turning my head gently, my sights fell on a slumbering boy. Jun Hong was seated in a chair beside the bed I was currently lying in – his head tilted backwards while soft breathing left his lips.

“Jun Hong.” My voice croaked but it did nothing to awake him. “Jun Hong.”

On the second call, his fingers twitched and his head rolled forward while his groans greeted me in return. With his eyes in slits, he looked towards me before jumping in alert.

“You’re awake.” He moved to his feet in shock. “Hold on, let me call someone.” He rushed out of the room and left the door open in the process. Seconds later, I could hear footsteps running in the direction of the room. 

“Queen Hae Won.” Steel walked in first.

“Hello, Mr. Bang.”

He checked the clear fluid bag that was connected into my forearm through an IV. “How are you feeling? Does it hurt anywhere?”

“My side aches a lot.” The dull pain easily stole my attention.

“I’m here.” Dae Hyun comes to a sliding stop just outside the doorway. “So, you’re finally awake?” Though his words came out rough, the smile on his lips was bright. 

“Can you check her injury?” Steel questioned and the Knight nodded.

“Well – ” Dae Hyun reached for the blanket covering me and pulled it away. “I have to lift your shirt.” He notified me before doing so. Being careful with his fingers, he checked the bandaging to find it the way he hoped to and it showed based on his expression of relief. 

“What happened?” 

“You got a bad gash from the rebel before you passed out.” Dae Hyun answers. 

At the mention, the memory comes back. “Yong Guk.” I looked toward the three in the room. “Where’s Yong Guk?”

“For two days, you’ve been sleeping here at Prince Woo Bin’s residence.” Dae Hyun responds. “I tend to forget humans can’t bounce back like how Werewolves can and Red…he –“

“He’s with Hero – recovering.” Steel interjects and Dae Hyun turns to look at him.

“Is that so?” Hearing that Yong Guk was fine brought my emotions rushing forward. My nose and eyes stung as tears gathered. “So, he’s safe.”

“Queen, he’s fine so you should focus on getting better.” Steel pulled the covers back over me. 

“And Yoggu?”

A gentle smile appeared on his lips. “We were successful – hostages are safe and the rebels are gone.”

I breathed out and a small chuckle left my lips. “I’m relieved.”

They smiled at my response.

“Is anyone else injured?” I had so many questions.

“We’re all okay.” They responded.

***

“So, what should we do next?”

“Woo Bin, allow the Queen to recover first.” King Hee Bin softly spoke out from his seat.

“I’m fine.” Steel brought me to the meeting room in a wheelchair. Any unnecessary movements would rip my stitches and the Knights couldn’t have that. “Is King Gang Han aware of the situation here in Yoggu?”

“He hasn’t contacted us.”” King Hee Bin sighs. “I’m not sure if he cares.”

“He was the one that abandoned us, after all.” Woo Bin added.

I suddenly remember the faces that had helped us. “What about Young Jae’s Knights and Soo Hyuk?”

“They’ve returned also.”

“I think what I’m most curious about is why Seonjang retreated.” It’s a known fact that he was not present, he must have escaped with the large group before we entered the castle. “He had enough manpower to stop our small force.” 

“He most likely thought it wasn’t worth it.” Woo Bin offers an explanation.

“…Or maybe he got what he wanted.” I added another possibility thoughtfully.

King Hee Bin moves to his feet. “Well, there is no reason to dwell on the unknown. Should we greet the townspeople now? I think they would like to see you.”

“I hardly doubt that.” I chuckled at the thought. 

Helping me, Woo Bin pushed my wheelchair out of the meeting room and we headed towards the front of the castle. With Titan and Reaper opening the large gate, my expression changed into one to show how stunned I was. A large crowd of people stood waiting. Upon seeing us, we were met with silence. 

“The Queen has awoken.” King Hee Bin announces and the cheers and claps explode. “Do you have anything to say?” He looked down at me.

Still recovering from my shock, I allowed the noises to dwindle and come to a stop. They were waiting intently for whatever words that may leave my lips. 

I stuttered to gather my thoughts. “We should thank the Knights who were responsible for all of this.” It wouldn’t have been possible without them. “…I’m just glad we were successful.” I blurted – there was nothing more important. We saved a lot of people and what better achievement could there be?

“And the war? Queen Hae Won?” Someone questioned from the crowd.

My eyes dropped to my lap. “You may not agree with me but it is time to do something different.”

“And what is that?”

“We need to compromise.” 

The crowd goes silent at my words – I figured it would be hard to accept. 

“This war is our fault and we cannot continue to deny that. The past generations have viewed Werewolves as a race inferior to us. We reaped the benefits due to the system while the Werewolves suffered. Right now, we’ve received an opportunity to make sure future generations would be more kind and understanding than us. As the current people, we should be responsible and start treating one another as fellow people of this country. This is not a privilege but a right. So, let’s finally do something to ensure this tragedy wouldn’t repeat itself for a third time.” I breathed out and remembered the last book I touched. “Wars do not breed winners – it only breeds pain and loss so we must ensure that both humans and Werewolves will emerge as victors.”

“Are you a Werewolf sympathizer?”

The question met my ears. “…I care for them, just like how I care for you all.” Again, I would notice the tense atmosphere but I had to say what I needed to. “So, will you all finally bring change?”

And while waiting, I noticed the tears coming and hoped for it to pass. This war has brought so much pain, it was about time we stopped it from further taking away more lives. 

A familiar face stepped forward and my eyes landed on her – the same woman that questioned my leadership during my visit into town.

“You promised you would save us and protect us…and you did.” She begins. “Knights who should hate us are the very people who saved us – who am I to deny an enviable change. I’ll be the first to support you, Queen Hae Won.” 

“That means going against King Gang Han.” I wanted to make sure she knew.

“You mean the person whom forsaken us?” She questioned back. “I do not follow him.” And with a smile, she encouraged me.

Finally. How I wished my father witnessed this moment.

“Then, we are all on the same page then.” King Hee Bin concluded and the crowd responded with cheers. 

Yes, I would say so.

***

“She has gained their support.” Stealth and Chief looked out of the window to see the Queen still speaking with the humans. 

“Their perspective has changed dramatically.” Dae Hyun comments unhappily.

“That’s human nature.” Bronze responded to him. “Sometimes, a little pain is needed to help some understand.” The humans have been through a lot – an onslaught of Werewo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter