Chapter 26: What We Dream Of

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After sending Woobin and Youngjae to a hotel for the day – after making them promise to keep what was going on at the castle a secret, I went to go see my father right away. 

“You know, you should have taken my words more seriously.” I looked at him from across the desk in his office.

My father held an expression that I couldn’t describe, I’m sure he was just simply in shock. He looked behind me and asked the Knights present, “what is going on?”

“The Werewolves from the attack are dying and I can’t do anything to save them,” Hero brings him the bad news. “And, a ‘new world order’ is what they left us with before returning to their terrible states.”

“And you think the drug is doing this?” My father’s forehead furrowed. 

This isn’t an outcome anyone wanted but unfortunately, it is.

“It’s possible that it’s an overdose,” Hero responds. “They bear the same mark that the new Knight and the black Werewolf have on their arms.” 

After Hero’s response, my father looked to me. “What about the rebellion?”

“We think there may be more,” Steel answers instead. “Something the Princess had spoken of.”

That’s right. No matter how much I insisted that they listen to me in order to take precautions, no one did. 

“Haewon, I’m sure you want to add.” For once, my father wanted to hear what I wanted to say.

“Prince Youngjae told me that the different regional kingdoms are thinking about placing stricter laws on the movements of Werewolves,” I started off. “Especially after the attack on our castle, I think they’re really going to do it.”

My words only made him sigh before reaching his hand up to rub his face. “There’s a summit this weekend.”

I almost forgot about that. Once a month, the royals of all the kingdoms from the four regions gather to discuss problems and affairs within the country. That would be a perfect time to get it all sorted out.

“I won’t be able to stop it if that’s what they all want,” my father answers tiredly.

I did feel guilty for making it hard on him after what we have been through but this was what needed to be done. “Father, things will get a whole lot worse if that happens.” The relationships between humans and Werewolves would further deteriorate.

And even if everyone may not realize it now – that is the last thing they would want in the future.

***

After the discussion with my father, I decided to visit my greenhouse and took a seat on the bench before losing myself to my thoughts.

I’m sure the moment when everyone was born; your parents had dreams for you. These dreams will then turn into hopes while you start to sketch your own dreams as you start to grow. My father had hopes for me and they included lessons and obedience. I’m sure he wanted to mold me into a great queen, not only a powerful one but possibly one that had her own morals and beliefs. Someone that will be able to lead the kingdom towards a brighter future once he was gone. 

But growing up, my dreams were simple – rather, it only consisted of having one person by my side, I wanted someone to keep away my loneliness and boredom…and that person turned out to be Yongguk. My dreams were always meek – I wanted to see what life had to offer beyond the wealth and status. I wanted to be out there, lying in the sun, and feeling the breeze graze my skin. 

Before I knew it, my dreams started to change and take on different forms. 

I wanted people to listen to me. To see a different side to everything they have believed thus far. If I could, I wanted to impose new ideas - different ideas. I simply wanted change. And if it didn’t happen, I didn’t want to be a Queen in such a world. A world that was so ridden with violence, oppression, and…hatred. I have no desire to lead such a world. 

I blinked back from my thoughts and instead focused my attention on the roses that decorated the greenhouse. 

I wonder if Jongup will return – or if he was still around the area. He managed to escape but I regretted not trying harder to help him. Despite what others in the castle may believe, I didn't think he's a bad person...I just felt he didn't know any better. 

A strange thought but nonetheless, I concluded that must be it.

“Princess, what are you thinking about?” 

I looked over to the door and watched Yongguk walk in. “Just some things.”

He makes his way over to the bench I'm sitting on and takes a seat beside me.

“The Lone Werewolf is not keeping you company?” Yongguk asks in wonder. “Doesn’t he always manage to stick by your side day and night?”

“It certainly kills you to call Daehyun by his name, doesn’t it?” I sighed before jokingly teasing him, “and if I didn’t know better, I would say you’re jealous.”

“Why would I be jealous of him? I’ve been with you the longest,” he remarks while ignoring my first comment.

And it couldn’t have rang any truer. Yongguk and I practically grew up together. We already knew everything there is to know about one another. 

“Is it a right decision to take him as one of your Knights?” Yongguk’s tone changes suddenly as he questions me.

I know Daehyun isn’t exactly what everyone had in mind when it was time for me to gather Knights but I already knew I didn’t make a mistake. “I hope y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter