Chapter 27: The Greenhouse Guest

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

…Well, this certainly isn’t a sight I expect so early in the morning.

Actually, it is a sight I didn’t ever want to witness in my life.

This is an absolute nightmare. I try to keep my emotions under control as I look around my poor greenhouse. The window glass laid shattered upon the floor, dirt from the planting pots spilled all over the ground, and lastly, my roses…my precious roses were scattered and flattened like someone had stomped on them. 

I can’t believe this – 

“Yongguk!” I shouted as loud as I can. No one will understand my pain better than him. “Yongguk!”

Within seconds, the said Knight appear at the doorway, clearly out of breath as he had rushed to where I am. “What’s wrong?”

I motioned my hands around – that was enough explanation.

Yongguk stared at the mess. “Did an animal get in?” He walked past the doorway, the glass crinkling beneath his shoes. 

I was completely speechless – I didn’t even know where to start. 

“Princess.” Mirae also appears in a rush – but for other reasons, it seems. “The Princes are back.”

I sighed. “Right now?” I was going through something at the moment.

“Yes, Princess,” Mirae responded carefully. Even she knew I wasn’t in any mood to entertain guests after the sight she saw. 

“Princess, why don’t you go first and I’ll have someone take care of this.” Yongguk attempts to comfort me. 

***

My thoughts were elsewhere when Youngjae and Woobin looked at me curiously from their seats in the guest room. The room was once again filled with more bodies with their Knights also present.

“Is there something bothering you, Princess Haewon?” Youngjae was the first to try to pull me from my trance.

I shook my head. “No, I’m sorry. What were you saying?”

“We were asking about the sick Werewolves that are in your prison,” Youngjae responds while watching my expression.

I looked up and behind me to see Daehyun. “How are they?” The Knights have kept me out of the prison as they focused on helping them.

“They’ve lost their minds.” Knowing Daehyun, I thought it was another one of his rough comments but he went on to explain. “They’ve retreated to their animalistic behavior and we can’t control or reason with them.”

Probably more of the overdose’s effects.

“What did King Hyunjin say?” Woobin was the next to question me.

“My father is going to bring it to the attention of the other royals at the summit this weekend.” Something I was also worrying about. “What do you think will happen?”

“The fear will grow,” Woobin responds. “The new laws are looking more likely.”

Even I should know that the tension between the two races would continue to escalate if that is the outcome the royals would decide on.

I sighed. “Is there something we can do?”

“We just have to wait and see, Princess.” Youngjae sits back into his chair. 

Woobin, whom was sitting across from me, had his eyes focused on Daehyun. “Are you going to introduce him in the tournament?” 

Oh, right. I had forgotten that the horrid event was coming up. “If I had a choice, I wouldn’t.”

“What is he talking about?” Daehyun asks me from behind for clarification.

“Since you’re her Knight now, you also need to partake in the tournament,” Woobin supplies the answer - now also a little used to the way Daehyun speaks. 

“You mean the barbaric event you humans call entertainment?” Daehyun questions back. 

“That’s exactly what I mean," Woobin responds with a pressed smile.

“It’s a long time from now,” I interrupted the two. But, I knew how fast it would come now that we all are busy with things. 

“My Knights have already started training,” Woobin reminds me of the pressing time.

“So have mine,” Youngjae adds from beside the Prince.

I wonder if Yongguk has been secretly training also – the idea didn’t seem far-fetched knowing how he is.

“You never told me that came with the job.” Daehyun grumpily looks down at me.

“I didn’t want to think about it.” I sighed. “If I could, I wouldn’t even put you on the roster.”

“Are you afraid of losing this year?” Woobin asked, the real reason never crossing his mind. “You don’t think your Knight will win again?”

“The mutt came in first place?” The Werewolf from behind me blurted in shock.

“And Titan was so close to winning.” Woobin clicks his tongue at the regret.

“I’m not interested in winning, Prince Woobin. I’m rather more interested in keeping my Knights safe.” But, Yongguk’s thoughts are always contradicting mine – instead of losing to stay out of the tournament early, he would fight so hard in order to win the whole thing.

I wonder what the motivation is that pushes Yongguk to do that. He isn’t a type of person that would lose himself to competitiveness, so what is it? If I asked, he would respond like he normally does – ‘it’s necessary’. Words that I have heard often. Too often, if I had to be honest.

“And…I’m not surprised,” Woobin comments while looking at me. 

Youngjae chuckled. “I’m not either.”

Woobin suddenly breathes out. “Well, Prince Youngjae and I have planned to stay for a few days to keep up with the news about the Werewolves, so we’ll take our leave for today and see you again tomorrow.” He was the first to stand up with Youngjae following him.

The two were about to bow when I snorted. “I think we can stop that.” They shared humored looks before I continued, “I’ll see you two tomorrow.” I smiled up at them and watched the two leave the room.

Seeing that the guests are gone, Daehyun comfortably takes a seat across from me. “I never had a chance to ask…but what are the tournaments for?”  

I looked at him and smiled. Recently, Daehyun had been asking questions more instead of keeping to himself.  “On the surface, it’s for entertainment.” Just like what he said. “But, I think it’s just another way the kingdoms utilize to express the strength of their regions.” 

“So…the stronger the Knights, the stronger the region.”

“Essentially,” I respond.

There was a moment of silence between us when Daehyun started speaking again. “Why do you have such a face?” He asks and I look back at him.

“What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter