Chapter 41: Your Life is Your Own

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Haewon.”

I slowly opened my eyes at the soft disturbance.

“Haewon,” the voice repeats once more.

With a small groan, I lifted my head to find a shot of pain traveling up from my back to my neck. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before looking up to meet my father’s face that seemed to indicate confusion.

“Father?” I uttered in bewilderment.

“King,” a deeper voice called out from behind me. “And, Princess.”

The cold surface underneath my palm suddenly draws my attention and once the drowsiness subsides, I realize what happened. I turned my head around to look at all the Knights filed into my father’s office while the sunshine that beamed through the windows lit up the room.

“Good morning,” Steel adds while the others hide their smiles.

“Good morning, everyone,” my father replies while scratching his head.

“I didn’t make it back to my room.” Well, my father didn’t either. I blinked away my watery eyes that were caused by my yawn.

“Does your bodies hurt?” Hero asked, allowing chuckles to slip through his lips.

Now that he was asking, my whole body was stiff. “Just a bit.” My face grimaced while trying to stretch out my achy limbs.

“What are you all doing here so early?” my father asked through his yawn.

“King, you have a phone call,” Steel responds while motioning Yongguk over. “Red, please help the Princess back to her room, I don’t think she’ll make it.”

Yongguk nods before walking over and offering me his hand. “I’ll see you later, father,” I said mindlessly before allowing Yongguk to help me onto my feet. Together, we walked to the door before he opened it for me. “What time is it, Yongguk?”

“It is 8 in the morning, Princess.”

“Good, I can return to my room and sleep for another two hours.” I chuckled.

***

“Princess.”

“Are the two hours up already?” I muttered while snuggling further into my soft pillow.

“Someone has been wanting to see you.”

“Who would that be, Yongguk?”

My bed suddenly dips and I sit up in surprise. “Jongup?” He smiled ear to ear while looking at me. “You’re wearing the Knight’s uniform and your chain is gone.” My eyes trailed the black wear that seems to fit well with Jongup even when his posture isn’t like the others. Now that I’m thinking about it- he moves more like an ape than anything. What a funny thought. 

“The King approved it officially moments ago,” Yongguk clarifies.

I smiled brightly while I placed my hand on Jongup’s shoulder. “Congratulations, Jongup. I should explain your duties to you now.” My words may seem foolish but I know he is capable of understanding. I continued smiling at him as he reached for my hand on his shoulder and held it between the two of his.

“You,” Yongguk called out and Jongup turned around to look at him. “You’re not allowed on the Princess’ bed.”

Dropping his head and his hand from my own, Jongup quickly gets off.

“He’s scared of you,” I commented while watching Jongup’s behavior.

“I know,” Yongguk simply responds, unbothered. He likes it better that way. 

I guess even Jongup could detect Yongguk’s strength. Hearing the door suddenly opening, I snapped my head over.

“Your father-," Daehyun stopped abruptly the moment his eyes laid on the company in my bedroom. 

Yongguk looked at him unhappily and Daehyun didn’t even flinch- there was one person who was not scared of Yongguk and even if he were, he wouldn’t admit it. 

“What is it, Daehyun?” I urged him to finish what he was saying.

“The King asked to see you in his office,” Daehyun finally finishes. After the three left me to get ready, I began wandering down the hallways toward the meeting place.

“You wanted to see me?” I peeked my head in.

“Someone is here to visit you. He’s waiting in the guest room.”

Again, I was met with vague words that didn’t really tell me anything. 

“No one told me that someone was coming.” Neither Yongguk nor Daehyun mentioned it. “Who is it?” At the thought that maybe it was someone who felt the same way as my father and I, my hope soared.

My father smiled. “You’ll know once you go meet him.”

He waved me off and I hurried to the guest room. Before I could arrive, Jongup was already outside the door. His head tilted upward to sniff the air- he also noticed a guest was in the castle. 

“Did they send you to be with me?” I asked but instead of indicating a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’, Jongup merely reached for my hand. Clasping it for a few seconds before letting go. I’ve noticed him doing this quite often but not yet understanding what the small action meant. The thought was simply pushed aside for now since someone was waiting for me. I opened the door gently and walked in with Jongup trailing behind.

The person inside stood up and bowed. “Good morning, Princess Haewon.” Well, he was definitely not a Prince- the chain around his neck indicating so.

I bowed back politely. “Good morning.” 

“Princess, you may be surprised but I’m here to request honor.”

I’ve heard of those words but they were never said to me. I walked in further and took a seat while motioning him to do the same. Jongup moved along and remained right by my feet. “You want to become my Knight?” So, he’s an independent Werewolf.

“Yes, Princess Haewon.”

I was quite speechless. This was the last thing I thought would ever happen to me. “Are you from this region?”

“Yes, my family has always resided here,” he answered back politely before looking at Jongup in curiosity.

Why did my father not warn me? I don’t even know how to handle it. “…What is your name?” 

He looked up and met my eyes once more. “My name is Soohyuk, Princess.”

Soohyuk: 20 years old

“Nice to meet you, Soohyuk.” I send him a small smile. “To be honest, I don’t know how this process works.” The last two Knights that joined the castle were Lone Werewolves. 

“And to be honest, Princess,“ he respond

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter