Chapter 45: Whatever Our Goals May Be

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I couldn’t exactly see through the darkness of my room but I knew enough about the person standing before my bookcase settled against the opposite wall. I have been waiting for him. Though, each night that I stayed up as long as I could, I tried to believe that he wouldn’t come. 

“You have been expecting me,” Himchan responds softly with a tone that is full of acceptance. As if he expected this to occur. 

“Are you here for that ‘notebook’?” I asked. In the obscurity of my bedroom, I can hear Himchan pick up the book and fiddle with the pages that held nothing but useless scratch. The same notebook that I made seem to hold very important information about our castle. 

“You’re more intelligent than Prince Kangjun had let on,” he answers before setting the notebook carefully aside. “When did you realize, Princess Haewon?”

“The moment Prince Kangjun had left you in my care.” Himchan doesn’t respond right away but I knew his mind was working. “Instead of looking for an escape route… won’t you join me over here, Himchan?” 

I could only wait blindly because I fear that if I turn on the light, it would only be another chance for the Knights to notice. They tend to move around the castle in regular scheduled checks. 

Himchan's movements were slow and gentle; it took me some time to realize he was sitting in the chair beside my bed. 

“If I didn’t get to know you these past few days, Himchan, I would think you were quite mentally inept.” I chuckled softly. “So, I can only assume that your Prince have been forcing you to carry out this dirty deed.” Himchan knew better than to recklessly sneak around like this and to get caught so easily. He doesn’t respond so I continued, “I also have a feeling that you had probably advised Prince Kangjun that this plan will not work and he most likely didn’t listen.”

“He insisted this was the only way,” Himchan finally offers an answer.

“For what?”

“To make sure your father and you would stop with your talks of compromise.”

Tiredly, I rubbed my eyes. 

“If you need to punish anyone, I am ready to take responsibility,” Himchan continues, filling in the silence.

“You’re ready to take the fall for a Prince like that?” 

He offered no words so I took it as affirmation. 

“Is this what you wanted? Did you want to steal from me?” I asked once more. “There is nothing wrong with revealing your feelings.” 

“Does it matter, Princess Haewon?” It took a bit but he finally answered. 

“Sure, it does,” I replied. “I just wanted to hear the truth from your own mouth.”

Himchan didn’t know what to think of my response and remains silent.

“Do you not know where I’m going with this?” I asked with a lighter tone. “I know you purposefully got caught by me.” Himchan isn’t careless– if he really wanted to, I’m sure he would have gotten away with it so I was left with one answer –the Knight wanted to get found out. “Return to your room- this is your punishment. I will call Prince Kangjun in the morning and don’t think about escaping.”

***

“I want to deeply apologize for my Knight’s irresponsible actions.” The Prince offered me a deep bow to remedy the situation. “I would never think he was capable of such devious things.” 

Himchan stood stiffly behind the Prince as he remained in his seat. We were currently in the guest room we had agreed to meet and speak in. Daehyun stood behind me, trying his best to keep his opinions and thoughts to himself. 

I feel the whole castle is in the same kind of mindset.

They were all terribly angry at Prince Kangjun but no one would be thoughtless enough to do anything that might offend a possible supporter.

But, I never said I was as careful as the others.

“I don’t want an apology for your Knight’s actions,” I responded casually. “I would like an apology for yours.” Prince Kangjun must be a big fool to think he had successfully tricked me. 

The Prince stared at me in shock. “Princess Haewon, you couldn’t possibly think I was behind this.”

“That’s exactly what I think,” I retorted. “Prince Kangjun, you are someone who would do anything to get what he wants– you’re going as far as to order your Knight to steal from me and have him become your scapegoat.” 

“That is ridiculous–,"

“Yes, you are.” I could already feel the smirk that was forming upon Daehyun’s lips. “I wonder what the other royals are to think after I reveal your acts against me and this castle.”

He stared at me hard while my expression remained calm.

I eyed the Knight behind him before focusing back on the Prince. “Since this is your first act against me, I thought I would let it go.”

“What–,”

“Your acts will be forgiven on one condition.”

His head snapped up in attention. Not believing the sudden change in our conversation. A change that surely would benefit him if he were to agree. “And what would that be?”

“I would like him as my Knight.” I shifted my attention to Himchan who became a little more than just confused with my words. In this situation, Daehyun would have not kept silent but with me speaking it over with the Knights and my father, I received permission to bring onto our team a lovely and intelligent addition. Though, they were apprehensive due to the Knight’s position. After a whole lot of convincing, they undesirably supported my decision. But, I know they weren’t completely on board with the route I had taken since it would only cause problems later on. 

It was bound to happen.

And I was bound to face it all eventually.

“I can’t just hand him over to you,” the Prince retorted. “He’s already serving under me– no one ever had such a request.”

“I have a solution.” With so many talks on laws and punishments, I came up with an idea- the same idea that finally got my father and th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter