Chapter 40: And it Only Gets Difficult

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you crave attention?”

Woobin’s sudden question at the breakfast table pulls my attention. “Why are you so angry in the morning?” Did someone not get a good night’s sleep? 

“I can’t believe that happened,” Youngjae muttered to himself while in deep thought as he also remembered what occurred the night before. “I woke up this morning thinking it was all a dream…,”

Was I the only one that managed to sleep well? 

“They’re saying you’re gathering Lone Werewolves,” Woobin goes on. “What kind of Princess does that?”

“Well, I’m the first,” I responded light-heartedly- clearly, not seeing the issue. “And I mean, it is slightly true.” Jongup would be the second Lone Werewolf that has become my Knight and I didn’t quite see the problem with that. “But, ‘gathering’ is a strange word to use.” 

“Why?” Woobin couldn’t seem to drop the topic. “There are plenty of Independent Werewolves out there for you to choose from.”

“What is wrong with Lone Werewolves?” There may be a hierarchy present just like how there is one among the humans but in the end, the Werewolves are all from the same race. 

“Haewon-," Woobin begins to only stop himself before sighing. He seemed to be at a loss for words. 

“This is what you meant by it being hard.” Youngjae finally realizes and I nod in response. “This choice you have given us.”

“My father and I have been sitting on the side for too long, allowing all these things to happen and now, we want to help,” I began. “To be honest, Jongup was among a few who attacked our castle but his case is different, he was forced into it without a choice of his own.”

“Is he related to the ones that developed the enhancement drug?” Youngjae asked while Woobin sat silently.

“Yes,” I answered. “Having Jongup as my Knight was a choice made in the case where we couldn’t save him-,"

“You did all that to save a Werewolf? Choosing a Knight is an important decision,” Woobin continued to scold me.

“Just because I did that, it doesn’t mean I made the choice without thought,” I retorted. “Jongup had a chance to run away during a mission. But, when I asked him to come back, he did.” Jongup showed me that he was someone I wanted on my side. “During a small attack, he stood in between the castle and the people that he once considered his pack.”

The two Princes stared at me while I spoke.

“So no, I didn’t choose rashly, I made my choice based on his character.” And Jongup’s character was one that returned the kindness I had shown to him. So, why wouldn’t I want a Knight like that? “Do you all understand now?”

After a moment of silence, Younguae spoke up, “So, what was it specifically that you want from us?”

This was the conversation I was more worried about. “My father and I want to gather support in order to initiate a compromise with the Werewolves instead of these constant punishments.” I eyed Woobin. “I know you in particular are fond of that method.” I made sure Woobin knew I didn’t say it out of bad intentions. “Have you decided whether or not to support us?”

They fall silent.

“If you don’t know right now, that’s okay,” I added with a smile. “Think about it some-,"

“No.”

I stopped abruptly to look at the young man that voiced his answer.

“Woobin,” Youngjae slightly scolded him for his bluntness.

“You want us to compromise with Werewolves?” Woobin asked in disbelief. “You out of all people should understand that being kind will not stop them from rebelling,” he continued. “Despite the kindness you show, your castle has been the sight of countless attacks by Werewolves and you want to compromise?”

I sighed. I should have known this was going to happen but what was this hope that I felt? “Woobin, that’s why compromise would stop it all!” Did they not think about what would happen due to these punishments the kingdoms continue to implement. “Jongup is an example,” I repeated once more. “Do you see what kindness and compromise can do?”

“I’m not listening to this anymore.” Woobin shoots up from his chair and proceeds to leave my hotel room and I didn’t try to stop him. I wouldn’t know what else to say even if I did. 

I looked up at the only other person left. “Youngjae, I need to hear your answer.” I kept my words calm. There’s no point in waiting for one, is there?

“…Haewon, what you’re asking for is too much,” Youngjae answered sadly. “I also can’t support you.” In contrast to Woobin, he gets out of his seat gently. “Have a safe trip returning.”

Within seconds, I was left alone. In more ways than one. The people I thought could be my friends left me so quick. 

What a tough world.

But, did I really expect something different?

***

“By the look on your face, it seems you failed, Princess,” Yongguk comments while entering my hotel room. 

“Horribly,” I answered, forcing a smile on my face.

He makes his way over and takes a seat beside the bed I'm in. I continued playing with the end of the comforter that covered my legs as he did.

“Do you also find it hard to accept what my father and I are attempting to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter