Chapter 50: First Victories

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you ready?” 

Inhaling a deep breath, I nodded my head. “As ready as I will ever be.” I smiled at my father. This is the first time in days we managed to be together alone. 

“Then, shall we head out?” He offered me his arm and I didn’t hesitate to reach for it. Leaving from my bedroom, we met up with the Knights waiting for us in the hallway. The only good news I received today was that the Kings, who have been staying at our castle, were heading back to their own homes to prepare for the tournament. The same tournament set to begin in a few hours. “Before we go," my father looked down at me, “do you have anything you would like to say? You may not have another chance.”

As I looked from one face to another, my heart sped up. “I may be more nervous than you all are.” I chuckled softly– there wasn’t much to be said. “Please be safe and try your best, my dear Knights.”

***

The closer we got to our destination, the harder my heart pounded. Though it wasn’t the first time for my father or I, the nervousness never dissipates. The immense coliseum in the region of Kkum stretched far and wide as we drove towards the entrance to the underground lot. 

Once parked, we exited our rides as our ears were met with the loud chattering of the crowds heading to the ground above. Soon I focused back upon seeing a stranger appear before us– an for the Knights.

“Wait, they’re leaving right now?” I questioned, already feeling restless at the sight.

“The Knights have to begin their own preparations,” my father reminded me before his attention was placed elsewhere.

But, I didn’t realize it was going to be this soon. “Can’t we–,"

“They’ll be fine, Princess.” Steel stands beside me. “They are very talented individuals.”

I smiled at his reassuring words. “Of course, I chose them.” 

“The King," Steel softly continues so my father wouldn’t hear his next words. “He has mention you were in good hands.”

I stared at him, stunned by what he had shared. “My father really said that?”

He nodded his head, his features remaining impassive. “He said he is glad that he trusted your judgment.”

“Everyone," my father called out and we all turned to look at him. “Should we hurry to our seats now?”

As we followed the crowd up the stone steps, we reached the ground above. The clear blue sky loomed over us as a gentle breeze ruffled the end of my dress. And for a moment, I was able to forget my apprehension.

“Aren’t you happiest when you’re outside, Princess?” Bronze walked beside me and I nodded. “Then enjoy, Princess.” 

I followed my father and found our seats beside one another while the Knights stood behind us. Now that we were out in the open, they had to be more cautious. On one side, sat the royals and on the other, most of the citizens of the country would have their own arrangements. 

Unlike the usual expressions they would have on their faces, they seemed a little passive, stiff even. But, I didn’t blame them. The recent events gave them reason to react this way.

“There is still some tension,” Hero remarked from behind my father and I. “You can see it all on their faces.”

My father reached for my hand and gave it a gentle pat. “Doing fine?”

“I’m actually looking forward to something in particular.”

“And what is that?”

I turned and gave him a bright smile. “Their names to be revealed.” And like how my father predicted– I gave it a lot of thought and I hoped through their names, my Knights would understand how important they are to me. While looking around, the empty seats beside me soon became occupied by very familiar faces.

“How are you, Haewon?”

I turned my head, hearing the kind voice. “Hello, Youngjae.” 

“It’s been a while.” Woobin soon joins him. “Seems like you have been keeping busy with constant controversies.”

I nodded in Woobin’s direction. “It can’t be helped that everyone is so interested in what I do.” 

“We heard what happened,” Youngjae continues. “About the attack and the council that the region of Kkum called together.”

“I’m sure everyone has heard,” I responded, attempting to sound casual.

“Don’t put up a front– we can clearly see how much it has drained you,” Woobin pointed out. 

I inhaled a deep breath. “What is the point in your words?”

Woobin leans forward, his expression soon turning serious. “Your kingdom is in jeopardy– I don’t think they will hesitate to go a step further and have another leader absorb your rule.”

“So, what is your solution?” I questioned, not really expecting an answer I wanted to hear.

“Give up your idea of compromise.”

The abrupt loud applause gives me a reason to not respond as we focus our attention towards the arena.

***


Daehyun eyed everyone carefully. Lining the sides of the tunnels were countless other Knights. The atmosphere caused him to swallow a lump in his throat–, 

Now, his nerves weren’t because of the obvious staring from the other Knights– he was used to it at this point, everyone in the country knew of his background as a Lone Werewolf –but because for the first time in his life, there was something he cared about.

He cared about this tournament and the effects of whether he won or lost and how this would impact the Princess.

“Nervous?” Himchan questioned from beside him.

Dae Hyun laughed it off. “Yeah, right– this is going to be a breeze.”

Himchan looked down at the Knight’s restless hands. “Is that why you’re shaking?”

Daehyun lifted his hands up. “Shaking? I’m twitching from excitement.”

Accepting the lame excuse, Himchan turned to Yongguk. “Something seemed to have slipped my mind." 

Yongguk looks at him questionably.

“The Princess has failed to remember to give us alias.”

The oldest Knight remained still at the mention. He had failed to remember that detail also.

Daehyun snorted. “There’s no way she forgot… right?”

Himchan shrugged. 

“What was your name before? When you were under that of a Prince?” the younger Knight wondered. 

“Guard,” Himchan answers. He didn’t have a problem with it before but after being with the Princess, just saying the name left a bad taste in his mouth. “I never knew how much I hated it until this very moment.” 

His answer incites chuckles to leave Daehyun’s lips. “Maybe it’s a good thing that the Princess forgot our alias then– like, Red? What kind of name is that?” He shot Yongguk a quick look. But predictably, Yongguk would never be affected by the useless teasing–,

“Red as in roses,” Yongguk responded and the other Knights froze, stunned that he would even answer.

“Roses,” Jongup repeats. 

Their attention is temporarily stolen by the Knights standing against the wall across from them. “Knights from the Lee Kingdom?” one of them asked. These Knights’ red slim-fitted uniform easily contrasted from their black ones.

Yongguk nods. 

“How does it feel to train with Lone Werewolves and an exiled?” another questioned.

How did they want Yongguk to respond? “It wasn’t boring like the fights in the tournaments last year.”

His response caused the Knights’ to go slack jawed while Daehyun stifled his laughter. 

“Red, did you suddenly get arrogant because you won once?” 

Yongguk stared back at the Knight. “Are you going to put me in my place?”

Obviously giving into the taunts, the Knight nodded his head. “I hope to hear that I’ll be facing you in one of the rounds.”

“Damn,” Daehyun commented underneath his breath. “I didn’t know you had that in you,” he directed his statement at Yongguk but he has noticed the Knight's strange behavior recently– he was just so… unlike himself. He easily got irked about things that would have never affected him before. What was he so on edged for?

A loud blaring coming from within the coliseum interrupts the light babbling of the Knights– rendering them silent. An introduction follows and applause cuts through the air once it comes to an end.

Naturally, the numerous Knights file into neat lines and trailed after one another as the bright sunlight welcomes them out into the vast open area. Daehyun allows his eyes to glance at the audience as his boots scrape across the dry dirt arena.

One Knight after another are introduced along with the names of their Kingdom and region.

Daehyun easily forgot about the time with the sudden attention placed on them. And soon, it came to be their turn. 

“From the Lee Kingdom in the region of Kkum–,"

“Here it comes,” Daehyun mumbled, not knowing if he would actually hear his name.

Matching the order they stood in- Daehyun, Himchan, Jongup, and Yongguk -their names were announced. “Phoenix, Solar, Sterling, and last year’s champion, Red.”

The Knights immediately seek out their Princess and finding her faster than they thought possible, they see her grinning back proudly. 

She didn’t forget.

So, if Yongguk was named ‘Red’ because of roses, they wonder the meaning behind their own names.


***

Twenty minutes into the tournament, yet another Knight is carried off because his round had left him in such an incapacitated state. I allowed my hand to fall over my eyes. The nervousness that has gripped me only worsened after I witnessed injury after injury. 

“Werewolves are excellent healers,” Woobin leans over to whisper. 

I glanced at him. “That doesn’t comfort me in the slightest,” I retorted. That wasn’t something I wanted my own Knights to go through.

“Princess, why don’t you look away for a moment?” Youngjae gently added.

At his words, my eyes shifted in a separate direction and they focused on someone in particular. My suspicions were proven true- King Mansoo has taken his time to keep his eyes on me. What does he wish to catch me doing?

I cleared my throat and subtly leaned toward my father. “Did you know King Mansoo is rudely staring at us?”

Without turning his head to give me his attention, he responded, “Yes, dear. I know very well.”

At the announcement of a new round, I stared up at the large screen. Competitors were randomly chosen and as the pictures of various Knights flickered upon the large screen, two faces appeared after the countdown.

Daehyun.

I looked down at the openings of the coliseum– he would be stepping out at any moment now. And once he did, my eyes never left his back. My heart began its quick rhythm while my father knowingly reached for my hand and gave it a quick squeeze. 

Daehyun flipped his head from side to side– unsure with how his round will

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter