Chapter 4: The Necessity of Actions

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as we arrived at the underground garage below the castle and exited the cars, Yongguk and the other two Knights were already standing there, waiting. My father was lost in his own silent thoughts the whole ride and I was the same way. While leaving the banquet, I’ve already clearly heard the whispers among the royals.

Many thought we were making it a bigger deal than it really was. In their minds, one Werewolf’s life wasn’t that valuable. Some didn’t understand why we didn’t kill the Lone Werewolf right then and there – it didn’t matter. But, I couldn't have disagreed more. I don’t know what my father’s perspective on it was but I sure hope he felt the same way as I do.

Our kingdom was known for its more humane treatment of Werewolves so, hearing that a Werewolf was killed in the name of the Lee Kingdom was a shock. Even if others didn’t see the importance of what we do, I am still proud of what our kingdom stood for.

“Welcome back,” Yongguk and the Knights bowed upon seeing us. They looked up and their eyes immediately land on the random bounded Werewolf.

My father sighed, “let’s head up first. We need to discuss some things.”

They refused to put me into the same elevator as the Lone Werewolf so I ended up waiting below with Bronze. According to my father, he still needed Yongguk and sent me to bed before riding the lift up first.

I expected to be at ease after finally returning home and coming back to my own bedroom but, the feeling at the pit of my stomach felt far from the comfort I was expecting. The image of the Werewolf was stuck in my mind. At the end of the day, he lost someone he loved but why did no one notice? I felt so alone in that hall even though I was surrounded by so many people. It seemed like I was the only one that saw it, while the others didn’t even bother to take a second to see.

Seeing that there was no way I was going to get a good night’s sleep, I left my bedroom to look for Mirae. It wasn’t long before I found her cleaning up some things before getting ready for bed also.

“Mirae.”

Her head snapped around at the sudden voice in the dark. “Princess? What are you doing up?” She tried her best to hush her voice.

“When Yongguk leaves my father’s office, please tell him I need to see him.”

She looked confused but nonetheless, nodded her, “I’ll be sure to do that.”

“Thank you and good night, Mirae.” I offered a smile and she bowed after returning the same words. I’m surprised she didn’t make a deal out of me calling her by her first name again., Though I think she was tired of correcting me as much as I was tired of listening to it.

Once back in the bedroom, I sat at the edge of my bed and stared at the tall wooden clock across from me. It kept ticking away and I was starting to wonder how long the discussion was going to last. The more the time passed by, the heavier my eyelids felt. But, I quickly shook my head to delay the call of slumber. Even the small light beside my bed did nothing to help.

When it started to become too much for me, soft knocks on my door quickly woke me up. “Come in.”

Yongguk walks inside of the room and quietly closes the door behind him. “Princess, you should be in bed.”

By the sound of his voice, I could tell he was tired. The errands must have been exhausting for him and here I was, complaining about some banquet.

“Let’s talk in the morning, you can barely sit up straight.”

“I’m fine,” I denied quickly and he sighs upon seeing how stubborn I was. “Sit down, I have questions.”

Without any other choice, he pulls the chair from my vanity and sits a few feet in front of me while I remain on the bed.

“We didn’t kill his brother. So, who did?”

“How are you sure we didn’t?” Yongguk asks. His voice had become even raspier due to the fatigue.

“I know for a fact that we didn’t.” I decided to not doubt myself. I went through the six Knights of our Kingdom. I couldn’t think of a single one that would do such a thing. “I don’t think my father’s Knights would do that and I definitely don’t think you did either,” I added honestly.

He breathed in deeply before continuing, “we don’t know why the Lone Werewolf thinks we are responsible as he refuses to speak to us.”

At the news, I sighed. I needed to know but, it couldn’t be helped.

“What are those scratches?” Yongguk’s voice brings me out of my thoughts.

I looked to where he was eyeing. My nightgown wasn’t long enough to cover my ankles, and the marks were clearly visible. “Oh, nothing.”

“The Lone Werewolf did it?” His tone showed he was wide awake now.

“Yongguk, they’re only scratches.”

“So, he did do it.” Stern Yongguk was back. “Where were the Knights?”

I sighed, “there’s no need to make a fuss about it.” But, I knew how Yongguk was when it came to these things. He always got like this even if I got a bug bite. In my opinion, he should be used to this by now. Growing up and being the mischievous kid I was, I got bruises and cuts all the time. It shouldn’t be any different now.

“There are five marks, according to the law, that’s five years added to his prison term.”

I sat up straighter in a start. “Yongguk, do not tell my father.”

He provides no agreement but I didn’t want to order him.  I didn’t like having to do that.

I closed my eyes and breathed out before opening them again. “These scratches will heal in a few days, that’s nothing compared to a few years. Yongguk, think about it.”

After a few moments of silence, my Knight finally spoke out, “Princess, you should sleep.”

“I’m not quite done yet.” He was in the midst of getting up when I stopped him. “I want you to promise me something.” He stayed silent so I could continue, “under no circumstances do I want you to have to kill.” I saw the look on his face so I went on to explain myself. “Every life is precious, Yongguk.” It was as simple as that. It only made me realize it more after today’s incident and the way some royals easily wanted to kill the Lone Werewolf. “We were never given the right to judge how valuable one's life is. So, we have no such power to take it away.” I needed him to understand that.

“Is that what the books teach you?” He blankly asked. Probably not even touched by my well-thought out words.

I chuckled, “not everything is learned through reading. Sometimes, it’s just a person’s character. If my mind, body, and heart say it’s wrong, then it’s wrong. I refuse to believe any other way.” I looked up at him. “So, promise me.”

I watched as he slowly st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter