Chapter 57: Will We Keep Making Mistakes?

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“There will be some guests here today.”

The Knights perked up at my announcement. “Guests? That you’ve invited, Queen?” Hero questioned and I nodded in return.

“I’ve mentioned how I couldn’t remain antisocial.” And things needed to get done. 

“May I ask, who?” Hero continued.

“The royals of this region.”

“You’re kidding–," Daehyun blurted before receiving looks from the other Knights. “How did you manage to do that?”

“It seems my attendance is really wanted for tomorrow’s summit meeting for the final decision.” It wasn’t terribly difficult to make this meeting happen.

***

“Queen Haewon, you agree to follow through with what you promised?” one of the Kings spoke out. 

Kings and Queens that I have met once before when they all cornered my father with King Mansoo as their leader.

Taking my seat, I nodded. “Yes, I’ll be at the summit tomorrow.” After skipping out on yesterday’s, everyone is in a panic to make sure I’m present again. 

Daehyun quietly moves to stand behind me. 

The King breathed out. “Now, why did you ask for a meeting with us?”

“I’m sure you all care about the citizens’ lives that may be in danger–,"

“Of course, we do," another interrupted.

Taken aback slightly by his defensiveness, it takes a second for me to gather myself. “Then as a region, we should prepare for whatever that may happen in the next few days– I would like to build bunkers within the city.”

“Bunkers?” a Queen questioned in surprise.

“I know we aren’t left with much time but I think we can do it,” I answered. If we rush and give up some sleep, that is. Silence wells up and I glance from one face to another. When I thought no one would agree, someone surprised me.

“Okay,” one of the people present spoke up from where he was seated quietly.

“King Minjong,” someone reacts to his quick agreement.

“What?” King Minjong replies. “This is for the people, King Dongil.”

“Queen Haewon, what is your intention?” King Dongil turns to question me. “The last time you came to the summit, it didn’t seem like you cared about the outcome.”

“Of course, I do,” I retorted. “Why do you think I have been voting for compromise?” It’s hard for me to believe that these older royals would take me seriously but is there anything to lose at this point in time?

“But, you didn’t attend the one from yesterday.”

“Has anyone actually tried to deliberate the decision?” I responded. Almost the entire room was so adamant about not compromising without an actual discussion.

“And the matter with King Ganghan?”

The mention suddenly sparks a small fuse within me. “I still have yet to understand why you all are condoning his actions. Is it because he made a good example? Executing Werewolf sympathizers?”

“Well–," the group was unable to give me a response.

“King Ganghan wasn’t acting on the behalf of anyone– he had motive.” And it infuriates me to have taken this long to realize. 

“Motive?”

I was going to respond when I realize it might not be a good time. “Let’s discuss the bunkers first.”

King Minjong looked around the room. “Why are you all hesitating?”

A heavy sigh leaves someone lips before everyone in the room nods. “Let’s begin.”

But, something was amiss. “Why does it matter if I’m at the summit? You all are going to vote for no compromise in the end.” My presence wouldn’t make a difference.

“As a region, we are to make sure you’re present… and because you’re the only one voting for compromise.”

“Why would–," I stopped abruptly. I now see what was going on and why King Mansoo was not present at this time.

I scoffed.

They’re all so afraid to do what I did, a mere ‘child’ in the words of King Mansoo. 

“We have irresponsibly allowed this to progress this far.” King Minjong looked among the royalts present in the office. “We cannot let war happen.”

***

“Now, the first thing the real you would do is go in and comfort him.” Daehyun pointed at the door keeping Junhong’s room separated from the hallway. “You know– those magic words you used on me.”

“There are no magic words,” I answered blankly.

Daehyun huffed. “You know what I mean.”

I sighed. “There are more important things for me to worry about.”

“The real you wouldn’t say that.”

I pressed my lips together before facing the door. “Junhong,” I called out while reaching for the knob. Upon turning it, I found it locked. 

Daehyun, taking over, spoke out, “If you don’t open this door, it’s coming down.”

“Daehyun, don’t break it.” 

“Why not?” he asked me casually. “He doesn’t care about the door either if he doesn’t open it.”

“I care about it,” I said firmly so that he would understand.

“It’s coming down in 5… 4… 3–,"

“Dae Hyun–,"

“2…,”

“Don’t break–," 

“…1,”

I watch helplessly as Daehyun doesn’t hesitate when he reaches out to grab the doorknob and yank the door open. The sounds of cracking wood quiets down as he sets the torn door against the wall beside the gaping door way. 

“–The door.” Before I can finish, Daehyun was already walking inside the room, appearing before the shocked young boy sitting on his bed. 

“You really broke the door?” Junhong asked in disbelief.

“I warned you, didn’t I?” Daehyun questioned in return.

“Queen, you have a phone call.” Steel appeared at the end of the hallway. 

Peering outside, I gave him a nod. “I’m coming.” I turned back to look at Daehyun. “I’ll be back.”

***

Junhong couldn’t stay silent any longer. “If you’re not going to say anything, just leave.”

“Why is she taking so long?” Daehyun mumbled. Seeing that he couldn’t just wait silently, he grabbed a nearby chair and placed it directly in front of the young boy’s bed. “Why don’t we just talk? I’m sure I could come up with some magic words.”

“What ‘magic words’?”

Daehyun ignored his question. “Why are you acting this way?”

“Are you really asking me that?” Junhong notices his anger quickly restarting. “I just found out recently that my mother was dead and it was because of all of you.”

“She died before we removed you from the castle,” Daehyun corrects him.

“I don’t even know what’s true anymore.” Junhong gritted his teeth.

Daehyun’s eyes trailed down and found the charm in the boy’s hand. “We didn’t know you existed before an attendant from your castle found us.”

“Why are you here?” Junhong rudely questions and Daehyun gets caught up in his own annoyance.

“I didn’t want to be here either– she was the one supposed to be talking to you.”

“I don’t want to talk to her.” The more Junhong listened, the angrier he got.

“What is with your attitude?” Daehyun demanded before realizing this isn’t what Haewon would do and takes a deep breath. “Listen, you’re not the only one that lost someone.”

Junhong pressed his lips together.

“The Queen lost her father days before you lost your mother– I know it isn’t a competition… what I’m trying to say is, if there is anyone who would understand you, it would be her.”

“She doesn’t act like it.” How could someone be so different from what his mother told him? “My mother spoke about Haewon. Saying how I would enjoy being with her.”

“Your mother was right,” Daehyun agreed without hesitation. “Before the tragedies, she was someone that if you were kind to her, she would return the kindness in excess.” And it may not seem so, but Daehyun wasn’t exaggerating. “She saw her father die in front of her. You tell me if you would be the same person after that.”

“I saw my mother taken away in front of me.” Junhong looked down and away from the man in front of him. He still regrets allowing it to happen.

A sigh leaves the Knight’s lips. “It’s hard to believe but she is trying to protect you. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have risked everything to remove you from the castle.” 

“Risk everything?”

“There are laws, Junhong,” Daehyun began. “We broke many trying to get to you. I mean, I don’t care but she’ll have to face the consequences soon.” So, he cared just a bit.

“Laws?” He didn’t quite understand. His mother had mentioned some before but he didn’t learn everything. 

Daehyun didn’t understand Junhong’s reaction. “How much don’t you know?”

***

“What would you like us to do, Queen?”

I sat in the seat, lost in my thoughts. The phone call from before didn’t leave me so comforted. “They’re taking advantage of the situation.” They wanted to retaliate against me?

“Would we still be present at the summit?” Steel asked.

“Yes.” It wasn’t a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter