Chapter 7: They'll Grow to be Fond of Visits

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Red said not to let you in, Princess.”

I stared at the guard in disbelief. How did Yongguk get here before me? When I woke up this morning, I was certain that he already left on his 'errand' trip. How was I supposed to get out of this one?

I sighed, “is his word more absolute than mine?” It was times like these that I am forced to use that card.

He stutters and bows in apology, “it’s not that, Princess. But, Red made it clear that you could get hurt.”

“Let me through,” I merely say as I take another step closer but again, the two refuse to budge and move away from the entrance. “The King allowed me, isn’t that enough?” I watched as the guards continued to hesitate – should I try a different approach? “Look, I’ll be out of there before Yongguk comes back. So –“ I used my hand to motion them aside. And after a moment, I was finally let through into the prison tower. “Thank you.”

I walked up the stoned steps by myself this time and stopped before the door that would lead me into the floor where the Lone Werewolf was held. Like what the guard had done yesterday, I pressed the notch on the side that opens the door up.

“Didn’t you learn your lesson yesterday?”

I looked to the side and found the Lone Werewolf already at the metal bars, to welcome me. Well, that’s what I would like to think. “What lesson are you talking about?”

He eyed my bandage. “They’re giving me ten years in this prison, isn’t it a bit too forgiving?”

“You’re more talkative today,” I answered casually.

“I heard it was originally 15 years.”

“Sounds like you want 15 years,” I retorted just as quickly.

“I want the death penalty,” he answered fearlessly.

I wasn’t shocked by his response – he had been asking for it ever since the banquet. “Our kingdom does not utilize the death penalty.” We never did and never will. “And don’t be ridiculous, how could you so easily give up your life like that?” I went on to mumble unhappily.

“There’s nothing worth living for.”

I looked up to meet his face that was void of emotion. “Of course, there is.”

At my words, he looked down and away from me. “There was some talk that you’re the reason why I have a shortened sentence.”

The guards must have been talking again. “Is that the word around here?”

“Why did you do that?”

“If it was 15 years, it would have been unfair.” It was as simple as that.

He glared at me, “stop pretending. You people don’t care about what’s fair and what’s not,” he spat. “If you people could kill Werewolves so easily then why not just do that to me?”

His temper must be worse than mine. Knowing what might come next, I made sure I wasn’t too close to the bars where he could reach out and grab me again. I wasn’t scared. I just didn’t want there to be evidence that I’ve been here again to visit him.

“You’re being cranky again.” And I was getting tired of standing. I glanced around for the same stool and grabbed it from the corner before gracefully taking my seat a few feet away from the cell.

From the bars he looked at me, unable to register what was going on. “What are you doing?”

“I have some more frustrations.”

“Stop playing around and leave.” He turns away from the bars to take his own seat in the corner.

I made no attempt to move from my spot. “You don’t seem very happy to see me,” I pointed out, not particularly hurt by it or anything.

He scoffed, “well, I do hate you.”

“I don’t remember doing anything –“

“Because you’re human and because you’re royalty – the hate comes naturally,” he emphasizes. “So leave, I don’t want to talk to you.”

“That’s unfortunate,” I smack my lips together. “Because I need someone to talk to.”

“Where’s the dog?”

I closed my eyes and told myself to ignore his insensitive words. “I told you not to call him that and he’s out…right now.” I looked up at him, now realizing something amiss. “What’s your name?” At the sudden random question, the Lone Werewolf stares back at me in disbelief and refuses to answer. As I look at him more, he didn’t seem so dangerous. At least not like that night at the banquet or yesterday. He just looked tired and worn out. “What is it?” I tried again.

“I’m not a Knight, I don’t have a name.”

He was starting to get all snappy with me but I didn’t mind so much.

“But you were born with one, so what is it?” My tone was nonchalant as I played with the buttons on my cardigan.

“It doesn’t matter what my name is,” he retorts.

But, I obviously wouldn’t give up so easily. “Come on, I’ll tell you my name,” I said light-heartedly. “It’s Haewon.”

“Isn’t it Princess Haewon?” He snapped at me again.

“You can drop the Princess, since you hate royalty so much,” I offered with amusement. “But the fact about me being human…that’s something I can’t change,” I joked lightly. He doesn’t answer right away but I didn’t care to think too much about what he might be thinking.

“What are you even doing here?” Confusion coated his words along with a hint of malice. “Aren’t you angry or anything?”

“Ah, about this scratch?” I carelessly pointed at my neck. “Not particularly.”

“I don’t understand you one bit,” he mumbled before diverting his attention elsewhere.

“Not a lot of people understand me,” I whole-heartedly agreed. “I’m a little hard to comprehend at times. That’s probably why I have no one to talk to besides Yongguk and I guess, you.”

“Princess!”

I look towards the entrance, awaiting the panicked guard to arrive. “What is it?”

“Red is back.”

There was a moment of hesitation before I looked at the Lone Werewolf. “Well, that’s my cue to leave.” I stood up in a flash and hurried towards the guard before turning around again. “I’ll be back tomorrow,” I gave the Lone Wolf a smile before disappearing down the stairs and out of the tower.

I already knew where Yongguk would be and I hurried over.

“Princess, I see you are still not listening to me,” Yongguk’s voice welcomed me as soon as I stepped foot into my bedroom. He was standing beside the window and I was going to when the bruises and marks on his face took me by surprise.

“Yongguk, what’s wrong with your face?” I rushed over to take a look. There were scratches and bluish marks all over his forehead and chin. I grabbed his hands to check and they were also covered in cuts. Yongguk usually returned with injuries but this time it’s the worst I’ve seen it. “What exactly did this to you?”

He looked down at me, calmed, like how he always is. “It was nothing, the marks will all be gone by tomorrow.”

I sighed at how unconcerned he was about his well-being. I really don’t know what my father has had him doing. The Lone Werewolves have gotten more violent it seems. “Please take care of yourself.” I pushed him towards the chair and I took my own seat across from him. “Should I take care of them?”

“That’s not necessary, Princess. They’ll heal fine without the treatment.” He glanced at me and I found him searching me with his eyes. “Did he hurt you again?”

I chuckled, “no.”

“And does that still hurt?” He hints at the scratc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter