Chapter 59: The First Attack

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“King Minjong, we need to make sure we have a method of evacuation for the citizens.” 

It was another day and another day we have wasted by getting nothing done.

“My Knights have put something together but we need all the leaders in the region of Kkum on board,” I continued. “Even King Mansoo.”

“I couldn’t get into contact with him,” King Minjong notified me and the other people present in the office. “He refuses to speak to me.”

King Mansoo must know they have been with me. He must not be too happy.

“When do you think they will attack?” King Dongil questioned while the others seemed also interested in the answer.

“In a few days,” I answered vaguely. “That’s our best guess.”

“Have other regions taken precautions?” King Dongil asked no one in particular. 

King Minjong slightly shakes his head. “Not that I know of– I know the citizens are taking matters into their own hands,” he goes on to explain. “The country is in a mess. People accused of being Werewolf sympathizers are getting targeted and harassed.” 

“They’re turning their fear into anger,” I commented softly. 

During this time, the people need to look toward their leaders the most but when their fears are not recognized by the people who are needed to protect them, chaos ensues. 

“Teacher, what do you think?” I questioned the man who had remained silent right beside me. 

“For now, I suggest you look after your own people, Queen.”

I nodded my head before standing to my feet. “We should go into town.”

The Kings and Queens look up at me in curiosity.

“Town?”

“We should hurry if we want to hit all of them.” We couldn’t just visit my town of charge– we needed to makes visits to theirs also.

“What for?” King Minjong questioned.

I stilled before the door and turned to look at them. “We need to make sure our people know we’re going to protect them.”

***

This time, the Knights were on extra alert after what happened the last time I visited.

“We’re standing before you all to ask that you trust us.” I stared out into the crowd.

“Not this again!”

“Do not take any unnecessary actions. Do not hurt one another,” I pleaded with them. 

“Queen Haewon, I don’t think they’re listening,” King Minjong leans over to whisper beside my ear. 

I sighed.

It was a lot harder than I originally thought. As I stared out, there were countless faces I didn’t know personally, countless faces that didn’t know me… just countless faces that stared at me with such skepticism. 

“Why would any of your words matter?” A woman stepped forward. Her eyes bore into my own. “Who are you? You’re just a child who had to step up after her father died… a child who can barely take care of herself. What makes you think you can protect all of us?” 

While meeting her eyes, my lips couldn’t move.

Sensing the uncomfortable silence, King Minjong tried to fix the situation. “Miss–,"

“Because we are your leaders,” I interjected. “Because that is what leaders are supposed to do. But, I understand words are insignificant in comparison to actions. So, I will show you,” I repeated once more.

They remained silent and it gave me a chance to continue.

“In the case of an emergency, there are steps to be taken,” I began. “These steps are simple but will be effective. We have a bell at the far end of the town, I hear it chimes at noon everyday from my Knights. Who manages it?”

Out on the side of the crowd, an older man raises his hand.

“Sir, you will have another important job from this moment forward.” I pointed to the bell. “When an attack is imminent, you are to ring the bell. So, the bell’s purpose from now on will serve as a warning. When everyone hears it, you are to find shelter immediately and remain inside while the Knights are dispatched. If you are able to get away, head to the forest.” 

“What happens after we find shelter?” the woman from before further asks.

“Phoenix." I reached out and placed my hand on Daehyun’s shoulder. “He will be the one to lead you all out to safety. So, seek him out.”

Daehyun tried hard to hide his unhappiness but to my relief, he remained quiet and kept his true thoughts to himself. 

“…But, he’s a Werewolf,” the people comment.

“Believe me, when the time comes, this will be your only option,” I reply. 

***

“What happened to your face?” From my seat behind the desk, I looked up and finally asked him the question that has been on my mind all day.

“What? This?” He motioned at the injuries. “Therapy.”

“Therapy?” His answer only confused me further. 

“Aren’t you tired?” Daehyun switches the subject. “You were travelling around the region all day today.”

Giving the same speech and meeting the same faces that held such uncertainty. 

Yes, I was exhausted. “I’ll go to bed in a bit.” I looked outside the window to be met with the night’s scenery. “How is Junhong?”

“I think he has been visiting the greenhouse often. I can smell the roses on him,” he answers. “But, you should just check on him yourself.” Something he has told me many times already.

“My appearance would only upset him.” I moved onto my feet and fixed the scattered paper into a stack. “Daehyun, whatever therapy you’re doing, please stop.” I pat him on the shoulder as I pass. 

“No can do,” Daehyun is quick to reply and I look back to see him.

“…What is this therapy?”

“Nothing important.” He shrugged his shoulders.

“What are you hiding?” 

“Just go to bed.” He shooed me away and I figured I’d just get answers from the other Knights.

“Good night, Daehyun.”

“Good night- oh, hey."

Before I reached the door, I heard Dae Hyun call out.

“Weren’t you supposed to get your thumb checked out?” he asks.

“I did.” Hero even bandaged it up but soon, I removed it due to its inconvenience. 

“Look after yourself. How many times do I have to repeat myself?”

***

“I heard you guys train.”

Daehyun froze outside the training room. He and Jongup are to meet on this early morning to continue their therapy. “So, what?” He stared back at the boy.

“I want to train.”

“No, Junhong,” Daehyun immediately denies his request and proceeds to open the door. 

“Wait.” He placed his hand out to shut the same very door. “Hear me out.” And when he was sure he got the Knight’s attention, he continued, “I can shift just like you all can– I want to take advantage of it.”

“I already have my hands full with the current therapy.” Daehyun dismisses the young boy once more.

“I don’t need much time. I’m sure I can learn fast.”

“She’s not going to like it.”

“Who? Haewon?” Junhong questioned. “Who is she to stop me?”

Daehyun sighs. “Listen, kid. You are not a Knight. We’re not going to need you to use that kind of power.”

“What about the war?”

“There is no war… yet,” Daehyun corrects him. “What is up with you? You had no motivation–,"

“In case I see Ganghan again,” Jun Hong states and Dae Hyun goes silent. “For what he did to my mother, I need to–,"

“Revenge, huh?” Daehyun sighs and shifts his eyes away. He knew that feeling well. But, when did he forget such aspirations?

Right. When he met the Queen.

“…Junhong, rather than seeking revenge, why don’t you strive to protect instead?”

“Protect?” Junhong scoffs. “What do I have left to protect?” Everything was taken from him.

“Your life, you idiot.” Daehyun uses a single finger and pushes Junhong’s head backwards. “Now, go hang out in the greenhouse. I have more important things to deal with.”

He held his forehead. “How do you know I’ve been going there?”

“I can smell it on you.”

The younger lifted his shirt to smell it. “God, are you telling me I smell like her?”

“Is that a bad thing?” Daehyun snorted.

“Yes.”

“Whatever. I need to start another day of therapy.” Another day of getting smashed around by Jongup is more like it.

***

Travelling through the dark halls of the castle, I reveled in the silence. I’m sure the Knights all caught on to my new hobby by now and thankfully, they knew enough to allow me to continue it. Days I couldn’t sleep, which was very often, I would wander the halls. Maybe hoping the walk would tire me out. Keep my mind from overthinking. But, of course, memories that I wanted to stay away from were the most stubborn to get rid of.

Memories of father.

Memories of Himchan.

…And memories of Yongguk.

Whenever his face came to mind, there was always this different kind of pain. It wasn’t any more painful than when thinking of my father or Himchan… the ache was just different. Like I wanted to be close to him so terribly bad and the ache would worsen when reality would remind me of the impossibility. 

I wished my father and Himchan were still here.

I missed them awfully.

But in Yongguk’s case, I longed for him. 

What was he doing now? Did he also think of me?

Blinking back from my thoughts, I resumed my walk down the hallway.

***

“Good morning,” I greeted the boy sitting on the bench, enjoying the greenhouse all by himself before I entered.

“…Morning,” Junhong answered curtly before turning his attention back to see out through the glass.

“Good morning to you also, Jongup.” I noticed the Knight peeking around the corner, a watering pot in his hand. But, there was something else I found to stand out. “Have you been training?” Just like Daehyun, he was also covered in injuries. 

Setting the watering pot down, Jongup hurried over while my hand instinctively reached out so that he could hold it for a quick moment. Junhong watches the exchange curiously and naturally, Jongup releases his grasp and goes back to his task.

“Why does he do that?”

I walk over and take a seat beside him– though, I remember to not get too close as to make him uncomfortable. “Jongup has this habit. I guess my touch relaxes him.” I explain.

“Just from holding hands?”

I hummed a replied and nodded before setting my sights to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter