Chapter 68: Don't Fail This Time

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Queen.”

“Yes?” I left the tent in a hurry after hearing Steel. “How was the observation?”

“There are large groups of Werewolves leaving Yoggu – they’re most likely getting moved to the battlefield.” Steel notifies me.

I looked toward Bronze expectantly. “That means…”

“The possibility of us pushing through is higher now.”

I breathed out in relief. 

Dae Hyun and Jun Hong returned back right on time. The Knight looked between the group and I. “This looks bad.”

“We need to discuss the plan for Yoggu.” Steel alerts him.

A heavy sigh leaves his lips. “How am I always right?” He mumbled to himself before walking up to us.

***

Staring at the door that separated him from the hallway, Yong Guk found himself without a plan. 

Him Chan told him he needed to gain Seonjang’s trust but it wasn’t as easy as it sounded. Reaching for the door, he walked out and his eyes immediately landed on a few Werewolves huddled a little farther down. His abilities were slowly coming back now after the pill effects completely left his system but he could only hear mumbles from where he stood. Quickly noticing his presence, the Werewolves quickly dispersed and moved in separate directions.

What was that about?

“Hey.” 

Looking beside him, he sees Him Chan. “What is it?” 

“I’ve been thinking all night and all the scenarios I come up with aren’t exactly beneficial – we don’t have time.” They don’t have time to prepare anything and once the Queen arrives like she said she would, it’s going to become a mess. Mess as in, the two would be forced to reveal who they are.

“Yong Guk, Seonjang wants to see you.” Serri called from down the hall.

Quickly leaving Him Chan’s side, the Werewolf heads towards the office. 

“Yong Guk.” He greets him from behind the desk. Walking in, Yong Guk’s eyes land on him and Si Hoo standing on the side. It seems Seonjang didn’t have much sleep last night. Things were most likely not working out like he had planned. “I’ve been thinking.” Seonjang begins again. “Why am I keeping you here?”

The Werewolf perked up after not exactly knowing what he meant by saying that.

Seonjang laughed softly to himself. “I can honestly tell you I have no answer for that.”

Yong Guk continued observing him. It was clear he wasn’t in his right mind.

“Why do I keep such a strong ally beside me when he has enough power to turn the stalemate at the battlefield into our favor?” 

Yong Guk stiffens upon realization.

Seonjang looks up to meet his eyes. “I’m sending you to the battlefield.” The Werewolf doesn’t respond right away and seeing his hesitation, Seonjang nods his head. “Yes, that’s the best plan.” 

Yong Guk could only offer up silence and Seonjang pushes the small plastic bag forward and the familiar red pills settles into the Werewolf’s vision.

“Take one now.”

Hesitantly reaching forward, Him Chan’s words run through Yong Guk’s mind. He stares down at the plastic bag in his hands. 

“We’re kind of in a rush, Yong Guk.” Seonjang casually urges him.

Swallowing hard, Yong Guk takes a red pill out and Him Chan’s words are completely forgotten when another thought replaces it. 

He was willing do whatever necessary.

And when Yong Guk realizes the only option left for him – without anything holding him back, he pops the pill into his mouth and swallows.

From here on out, he was going to give it his all.

“Now, move out.” Seonjang orders and the Werewolf heads out.

Once Yongguk was gone, Si Hoo voiced his confusion. “I thought you said it was best if he is beside you.”

“Do you know why I did that, Si Hoo?” Seonjang questioned back with his eyes on the door in which Yong Guk left through. “They think I’m a fool – and I would be one if I had completely trusted him and Him Chan to be on my side.”

“So, the red pill?”

A small smile crept onto Seonjang’s face. “The pill is magic – it reveals secrets.” 

***

Him Chan travels through the hallways – there has to be a library here. Finally coming upon double doors, he prays he did find it. Pulling it open, he breathes out in relief. 

There was something he needed to do but doesn’t know if he has enough time.

Wandering through the aisles, he looked for all the medical books possible and quickly took his place on the floor. For the sake of their lives, he needed to find something good.

***

The Knight hunched over and tried to catch his breath. We hurried over seeing that he was waving for our attention.

“You’re in a rush today, Bolt.” I commented while grabbing a bottle of water for him. 

“Important…update….” He huffs and takes a huge gulp of water. “King Gang Han refuses to do anything about the hostage crisis.” 

Nothing? 

“What a selfish bast –“ 

I covered Dae Hyun’s mouth, allowing Bolt to continue.

“King Min Jong and Prince Young Jae are trying to do something on their own.”

“What, exactly?” I questioned.

“They’re going to try and group up with others who feel the same way. Some royals still have Knights, so they will probably be utilized to storm Yoggu.”

“Tell them to wait.” Bronze stated. “This will work only if we have a plan – we will provide help if they don’t get rash.”

Bolt nods his head. “I’ll make sure to return with the message.”

“We will have something by tomorrow morning.” Bronze promises the young Knight before him. 

Finishing his task, Bolt quickly returns before he could entirely rest. 

“We’ll go gather more information, Queen.” Steel notifies me and I nod. “The more hands, the better – Phoenix, come along this time.”

“Then, Sterling stays back and watches the Queen.” Bronze added.

“Jun Hong…do you want to come along?” Steel questioned from the side. The young boy perks up hearing his name.

“Wait, his transformation is a bit –“

Before Dae Hyun could finish, Jun Hong jumped to his feet. “Yes.”

“Then, get shifting.” Steel orders him.

I watched Jun Hong transform and in the midst of it, his clothes are left in pieces at his feet. Sighing, I thought of what to do next. “I’ll have clothes prepare when you return.”

***

Yong Guk stands in the middle of the chaos, he has yet to shift from his human form. Shots rang out in every direction and from the corner of his eyes, Werewolves dropped to the ground like flies the moment bullets impacted them. His ears tried to block out the cries of pain but in this state, all of his senses were sensitive. And though he should be focusing on the events transpiring in front of him – a single image continues to play in his mind…like a broken movie.

The picture replays over and over again.

The picture of the Queen smiling at him. The more he sees it, the more his chest burned with desire. The feeling was overwhelming.

Spinning around, Yong Guk sprints away when he could no longer fight it. It was easier to give in.

***

The sun already started setting.

I stared out into the forest in hopes I would see the Knights return but only sighed when I was met with silence. Jong Up remained at my side and I looked down at him. “Let’s get some rest.” Moving towards my tent, he followed after me. Suddenly, a blur shoots by me and Jong Up lets out a loud growl when it contacts him. I snapped my head around as Jong Up tumbled away past some of the trees. “Jong Up.” I called out in shock. What just happened?

My eyes tried to follow the movements and I stepped forward but only to halt at the sight of Yong Guk walking towards me and with Jong Up cuffed with the bindings. Within seconds, he had gotten Jong Up under control. He drops the Knight onto the ground on the way.

Something was wrong. My steps were clumsy as I moved backwards away from him. Jong Up snarls at the Werewolf in front of him but couldn’t do much in his state.

“Yong Guk?” The person in front of me didn’t feel like him. 

I get further and further away from the campsite and finally, he slows down and I also come to a stop. 

He blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes. “I –“ He tries to catch his breath. “I shouldn’t be here.” 

I peered at him in confusion. Did Seonjang not send him here? “What’s going on?” His strange behavior was troubling. He stepped forward once more but stopped abruptly. Calming myself, I reached out for him. 

“No.” 

I froze hearing his verbal objection. “You don’t look well, Yong Guk.” He looked worse than the last time we saw one another.

“I just – “ He swallowed hard and while finding his words.

Watching him, I carefully took another step closer to him. “Why are you here?” I softened my words. 

“Because I wanted to be.” He explains, his voice barely above a whisper. 

He wasn’t making any sense. Continuing my movements, I finally appear before him. 

“Stay away from me.” He moved backwards but I only reached out to grab onto his shirt.

“Please don’t leave.” Something was wrong and now that he was finally this close to me, I didn’t want to part from him. “Stay.” I ordered softly and he stared back. “Why do you look so scared, Yong Guk?”

“I’m going to hurt you.”

“You won’t touch me.” 

“Something is happening to me.” He warned me. 

“What is happening?” No matter what I asked, he refused to make it clear. But, I don’t think he was doing it purposely. It was as if he was trying to figure out a thousand things at once. He was in such a confused state.

His words, mannerisms – everything said so.

“Please get away from me.” He suddenly pleaded.

“Let me help you.” If he would stop rejecting me.

“I can hurt you.” 

I looked down and noticed his hands shaking at his sides. “I can take it.” I wasn’t going to leave him this way. “Whatever it is.” I reached forward and placed my hand gently on the side of his face. 

I couldn’t have him leave me.

Seeing him part from me each time pricked at my heart and seeing him like this pained me more. He was going through something all by himself. 

He lifted his hand to remove my own from his face. 

Not again.

“I’m leaving –“

“Yong Guk, listen to me for a moment.” I begged softly. “…I have had the chance to figure out something and think things through.” He remained silent, allowing me to continue. “About why it hurt me so much when you left me or why I think of you so often.”

“I don’t want to listen anymore.” He slowly shook his head as if he already knew what I would say.
    
“I…I love you.” 

His eyes locked onto mine. He didn’t believe me.

“I love you, Yong Guk.” Confessing was like a breath of fresh air. A huge contrast to how smothered I have been feeling but there was trepidation there – I was I was afraid of his reply.

“No.”

“It’s the truth.”

“Stop it.” He stumbled backwards. “Please, don’t.”

This response was a possibility but it came so quick I had no time to prepare myself. “So, do you not feel the same way?”

“You’re human.”

I shrugged at his reasoning. “So was Auntie Hwa.” Taking my chance, I stepped up to him once more. “What is your answer, Yong Guk?”

“This can’t happen.”

“All I hear are reasons. I want to know your answer.” When he offered no reply, I caught on rather quickly. “…Yong Guk, do you love me?” After my question, understanding washed over me. Maybe it was his hesitation or the way he looked that told me so.  “All this time, you –“

“You’re mistaken.”

“No, I’m not.” I’m certain. I’m certain of the discovery and suddenly I was filled with sadness. “For how long, Yong Guk?”

He inhaled a shaky breath and diverted his eyes out towards the forest, away from me.

At the thought of him harboring the secret for however long, a tear slipped down my cheek. “Would you please look at me?” Reaching up to touch the side of his face, I gently turned his head so that he could face me. 

And when he finally met my gaze, I pulled his face toward my own and pushed my lips upon his. Did my feelings reach him? Did he understand now?

With my eyes closed, I drew backwards only for Yong Guk to wrap one arm around my waist while his free hand moved to hold my head as he crashed our lips together to kiss me back. His lips moved feverishly against mine – wanting to make the moment last and seemingly, no longer exercising restraint.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter