Chapter 29: When All Seems Impossible

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stood outside the entrance to the greenhouse and once again watched the workers efficiently clean up the mess from last night. More of my precious roses were destroyed…and the entire glass structure was barely standing seeing that most of the glass had been smashed. 

I wonder how long it will take to replace everything.

When Yongguk caught me last night, I should have known this would happen. But, I thought maybe my words of reason would prevent the fight that broke out. He insisted Jongup come with him and of course, Jongup wouldn’t do it quietly or did he intend to even come. Now, the greenhouse was left destroyed, my father is waiting on my explanation, and for the second time, Jongup is sitting in a prison cell. The worst seemed to happen all at once and I’m completely at a loss at what to do next.

“Why am I not surprised?” Daehyun stood beside me, leaning up against the doorframe.

Of course, none of the Knights or my father expected it from me to meet up with a possible dangerous Lone Werewolf but at the same time, it didn’t quite seem irrational to them either that I would.

To be honest, it really isn’t a surprise.

“I didn’t wish for this to happen.” I sighed. Haven’t my roses been through a lot lately? Not to mention that the two Werewolves gained more injuries from such a useless fight that could have been avoided.

“Your father wanted to see you,” he reminds me and I sigh once more. “Have you thought about what you’re going to say?”

“Not really.”

Dae Hyun snorts. “Think quick.” 

I gave him a look before heading to my father’s office. With a soft knock against the large door, my father called me in. Pushing the door open carefully, I slipped my head in before stepping through completely.

“I know you’re much quicker than that,” my father points out while still going through his paperwork. I pressed my lips together and walked over to the available chair in front of his desk. Upon taking my seat, my father looked up with his hands clasped together under his chin. “I’m ready to hear your excuse.”

“He meant no harm.” 

His eyes remained on me while he searched my face. “I thought I would hear a more elaborate reason for why you were near this risky Werewolf without any discretion.”

“Well, I decided to tell you the truth,” I answered back. 

He sighs hearing my words. “Haewon, I thought you knew what you were doing.”

“I do,” I interjected. “Father –“

“Befriending Lone Werewolves that had imposed an attack on the castle is not indicating to me that you do,” he strongly argued back. “He was one of them, Haewon.”

My father was normally stern but this sight of him was different. At this moment, I don’t think anything I say will change his mind. Not even the compromises that he likes so much would be of any use this time around

“They are not gentle pets,” my father added and it caused me to stare back at him in surprise.

“Father, I have never seen them as such.” How could he even think that? “I have never seen them as animals but I did see them as individuals so please do not misunderstand.”

My response causes him to pause before softening his tone. “You are not just kind Haewon, you are also very naïve,” he continued while all I could do was listen to him silently. “What would have happened if he did attack you? You were alone and even if Red had rushed there at the speed of light, you still could have gotten seriously hurt!”

“Yet, I don’t have a scratch on me,” I responded softly. “This is enough proof, isn’t it?” Jongup may be unpredictable because I didn’t know him but I didn’t think he was a threat.

We sat there and allowed the silence to consume the room. 

“I will have to leave soon for the summit. You are not to leave your room, and the prison tower is off limits.”

“Father –“

“The punishment starts now,” he calmly continued before I could persuade him otherwise.

I was right – there was no way to change his mind.

I couldn’t leave the conversation at this. “I would like to say one thing before I go.” I looked down at him from where I stood up from my seat. “The reason I was not afraid when I was with Jongup is because he didn’t do anything to make me afraid.” I wasn’t sure if that would make sense to him but it perfectly did to me. “Father, there are two sides to everything and unless you are understanding, you will be blinded to see both.” The Knights, Yongguk, and Daehyun – they only viewed one side and that was the attack. “Jongup was one of the attackers but if you had just spent five minutes with him, you would leave thinking that there was so much more than just one side.”

***

My father just knew how much pure boredom would torture me. I thought back to the paper I left posted on my father’s office door. I wonder if he managed to see it before he left the castle. Before the door to my bedroom was entirely opened, I could already hear the hushed laughter ringing from the other side. 

“I’m glad you enjoy this sight of me, Daehyun.” Sarcasm dripped from every word as I saw him through the slightly creaked open door.

He hurriedly closed the door still trying to stop his chuckles. “You actually have guards outside your door.”

“It’s been a while since my father had last done this.” If I could remember correctly, the last time was after I slipped out of the castle and went into the forest – “I still hate this punishment.”

He took a seat in the middle of the room and sighed. “This is what you call punishment? I had worse.” Despite the seriousness of his words, he kept his tone light. 

But, I was still surprised to see his reaction. Normally he would scowl and scold me on how spoiled I actually am but he only kept his gaze out the window. 

“I guess I’m quite lucky then,” I answered, carefully gauging his expression.

“You have no idea, brat,” he snapped his head back in my direction and rebuked.

I ignored the immature name-calling and changed the subject. “Daehyun, can’t you go grab me some books from the library?” 

***

After a few hours of travelling, King Hyunjin finally arrives at the summit along with Steel and Chief – this month, it was held in the region of Sowon so there was a bit of a trip.

Each King

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter