Chapter 37: Let's Support One Another

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You’re never eating that fast.” 

I slowed in my chewing at Daehyun’s comment. “I thought you didn’t like talking while eating?” I questioned back and the same suspicious look remained on his features.

“You’re rushing to go somewhere,” he stated it more as a fact. A fact that I wasn’t going to deny because it was the truth.

“Obviously, Daehyun,” I respond with a smile. I didn’t bother trying to hide it because it wasn’t something that was so terribly bad that I needed to. 

“The Werewolf.” He naturally further caught on.

“Who else?” I had told my father to entrust me with Jongup and I was going to show him how right I was regarding who the Werewolf is. More specifically, I was going to show my father that Jongup was not as dangerous as he have believed this entire time. Apparently, yesterday’s demonstration wasn’t enough to convince neither the Knights nor my father.

“Why are you so hard to understand?” Daehyun responds unhappily. 

I simply shrug. I’m not that hard to understand…they just choose not to understand me. 

“By the way…were you out of bed last night?” He asked and before I could respond, I heard a voice come from behind me.

“There you are, Haewon.” 

The bright feminine voice called out from the dining room’s entrance and I turned around in my seat to greet her. “Good afternoon, Auntie Hwa.” 

I watched her walk in and saw the confusion that appeared on her face. “Is this one of your Knights? Sitting at the dining table?” 

“Auntie Hwa, this is Daehyun…he doesn’t have an alias yet.” I knew how it simply made it hard for everyone to call Daehyun by his name. “And, we’re having lunch together.” Something he has kept up with in order to ensure I wasn’t skipping my meals. My father must be so happy with him.

She smiled softly as she came over to take a seat. “This isn’t normal behavior between a royal and her Knight.” She didn’t say it in a scolding manner – in fact, it sounded like she was pleasantly surprised by it all.

“My father and the other Knights would agree with you,” I answered amusingly yet, didn’t bother to take that thought seriously. 

“She isn’t normal,” Daehyun interjected which received him a swift kick underneath the table from me. Even as the tip of foot contacted his shin, he didn’t seem to be hurt by it. If anything, my toes were sore instead.

A slew of chuckles left Auntie Hwa’s lips and I looked at her in shock. That was not the response I thought I would be receiving and I took a glimpse at Daehyun to find him matching my expression.

“As much as I enjoy this, I would like to visit the greenhouse, Haewon.” She looked towards me for permission.

“Auntie Hwa, you’re welcome to go whenever you please.” 

Daehyun was quick to stop me from following after her. “You need to finish your food first. Remember I don’t like people –“

“ – Who don’t finish their food,” I finished Daehyun’s sentence before focusing my attention on Auntie Hwa again. “I’ll see you later then, Auntie Hwa?”

“Of course.” She affectionately pats my leg before getting up from her seat and leaving the room with one last wave.

“She’s just as obsessed with roses as you are,” Daehyun lightly comments before going back to his food. “She’s starting to smell a bit like it too.”

“Daehyun, remember the story I told you about how I received a pot of roses from someone?” I begin while picking up my bowl and spoon once more to finish whatever I had left. “Auntie Hwa was the person responsible for it.”

He nods slowly as it all sinks in. “Everything makes sense now.” 

Sticking the last spoonful in my mouth, I set the empty bowl down along with the spoon. “I’m done. See you later.” I rushed out of the dining room, beating the fast-eater himself.

***

“How are you today, Jongup?” I bent down slightly before his cell. “You did a wonderful job yesterday.” I reached in and he quickly placed the side of his face gently into my palm.

I smiled at the sight. This is exactly what my father and the Knights don’t get to see. Jongup noticed the sudden guest and I straightened up before turning to look at the doorway, waiting for the individual. 

“I wasn’t expecting you, Yongguk.” I smiled brighter due to his sudden appearance. A usual occurrence that has become the normality. My days were always better when Yongguk was there and it was no secret.

“I thought I would stop by before I head to training, Princess,” Yongguk answers politely before walking up to the cell and stands beside me. “You’re still not being careful.” He indicated towards my hand that was outstretched through the bars of the cell. 

“We should be past that now.” I chuckled while kneeling down and looking back at Jongup, whom had his eyes stuck on Yongguk. “He’s intimidated by you.” 

Suddenly, Yongguk kneeled down right beside me. “He should be,” he replies in all seriousness. The action startles Jongup and Yongguk’s next act further surprises me – he reaches in just like how I did.

“Yongguk?”

“I’m trying to understand you, Princess.” He looks to me. “I am trying my best to understand your choices and your thoughts.” 

His words send a pleasant feeling through my body. “You’ve always known who I am, Yongguk –“ I inhaled a breath before releasing it in a relaxed sigh. “You just don’t agree with it sometimes.” Actually, most of the time but I figure it was best to not mention that part. And even though, Yongguk wasn’t keen on agreeing with me, he was still supportive in certain ways. Seeing how Jongup hesitated, I took Yongguk’s hand in my own and brought it closer to the Werewolf. “Jongup, he’s a bit scary – “ my sudden words caused Yongguk to look at me in disagreement. “But, he isn’t so bad.” 

Though Jongup grows more relaxed, he still only gets close to my own hand. Everything takes time, I suppose.

“I’m willing to listen, Princess,” Yongguk began while watching how Jongup only interacted with me. “About your thoughts on…him.”

I released Yongguk’s hand and he withdrew it back to his side. “He’s different…and because of that difference, it makes him appear dangerous.” But, that’s not it. “He’s just naïve. Someone who was taught to be dangerous and violent just like how you were taught and raised to protect me.” 

The entire time, all I wanted the others to know is that, Jongup just didn’t know better. It was as simple as that. Many may think that isn’t a valid excuse but it was, in Jongup’s case.

“That’s who he is now…do you think you can change that?” Yongguk questions me.

“I just need to motivate him…to give him another goal.” If Jongup doesn’t have anything to live for, change won’t come easily. 

“And what is this goal?”

“Didn’t think that far yet.” I looked at Yongguk with amusement. “But, I have no doubt that once I do, you all will see from my point of view.”

***

“You’ve been here all this while, Auntie Hwa?” I entered the greenhouse to find Auntie Hwa sitting beside Helios on the bench. At my presence, he stood up to bow. “You can sit, mister,” I answered with a smile.

“Mister?” Auntie Hwa repeated and Helios returned a look of surprise.

“Auntie Hwa, no one told you of my habit, have they?” It would certainly save all this trouble of explaining. “I’m not exactly fond of using aliases.” I casually walked over to the water tap and proceeded to fill the watering pot.

I didn’t get an answer from her but for some reason, I didn’t think my habit would bother her anyway. 

“What does you father think about it?” She questioned me while my back faced her.

“He doesn’t like it but he hasn’t been able to change it.” To his own displeasure.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter