Chapter 16: My Tough Knight

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk doesn’t give me a reply and instead, he jerks the door open and sprints out through it. In response, I am just as quick to get up from Daehyun’s bed to follow after him.

Passing through the doorway, I whip my head in both directions down the hallway to find that Yongguk is nowhere to be seen. Hearing the faint sound of shattering glass in that moment, I turn left and run towards the noise. I didn’t stop running until I am met with the sight of broken window glass littering the floor. Prone to indiscretion, I draw closer to the broken window on the seventh floor of the main castle that welcomes the sunlight and fresh air into the hallway without fear and look out towards the woods. Whatever or whoever broke through is long gone leaving a mess behind as proof that they had been there. 

As I stand there, the warmth and the gentle wind greet my skin before entering and travelling down the hallway. But, I didn’t have time to enjoy such a luxury. I picked up my feet and rushed to find my father.

“Princess!” Bronze runs towards me in the opposite direction. “Are you okay?” His eyes did a quick glance of my physical body in search of any injuries. 

“I’m fine,” I hurriedly reassured him. “There was an intruder.”

“I heard from Red, Princess,” he calmly responded but my heart was still racing. One, from the unexpected event and two, from all that running I just did. My body wasn’t used to the physical activity. 

“Yongguk is –“

“Red is after the intruder right now, Princess. You do not need to worry.” 

***

Yongguk stays in his human form as he races after the shifted Werewolf a few yards ahead of him. He skillfully dodges the trees without missing a beat to catch up to the runaway Werewolf. Instinctively, while running, Yongguk snaps his head to his right only to find himself suddenly tackled across the woods, his firm body bringing down trees as he crashes through them mercilessly. 

With quick reflexes, Yongguk pushed himself up off the ground just as his body made contact. He ignored the throbbing in his limps, already knowing the bruises will soon heal and his eyes darted around the surrounding areas. 

Before he could even see them, snarls that came in all sorts of directions announced the presence of the guests. Yongguk’s body tensed as he came back on defense. He stood his ground and waited for when the Werewolves would finally reveal themselves physically. 

Slowly, in distinct directions, four Werewolves slipped out into view and slowly approached Yongguk. Their large bodies crouching low on the ground, threatening to pounce at him if he made any slight movement indicating he was going to attack them. 

Yongguk didn’t have time to think too deeply but there was one thing that stood out to him as he watched the Werewolves – something was different. It wasn’t any particular thing. 

The whole atmosphere and this situation just felt different. 

And this strange feeling came over him.

Yongguk felt intimidated. 

Growls brought him back to attention and he watched as the Werewolves snapped their jaws angrily at him. 

“Step down and surrender,” Yongguk orders. 

He didn’t get any wordy response back; only low growls filled the woods. Yongguk’s eyes drifted over to one of the Werewolves, noticing a change in his stance. And, like what his instincts told him, the Werewolf launched himself at Yongguk. Without much effort, the Knight moves out of the way. Unfortunately, the single Werewolf’s action created a domino effect. One by one the others Werewolves leapt from their spots, trying their best to leave a mark on Yongguk. 

They were fast. Definitely faster than what he has ever had a chance to deal with – regarding Lone Werewolves. Yongguk thought before dodging a clawed paw attempting to swipe at him. 

If he wanted to quickly end this, he couldn’t keep blocking and evading another attack on him. And the chance came at him.

One of the lighter brown Werewolves jumped towards him and he didn’t hesitate grabbing the attacker’s head tightly before swinging the large bodied animal around and throwing him aside. The sounds of more trees snapping didn’t register in Yonguk’s mind as he turned his focus on another. 

At once, two went towards him and Yongguk kicked one to the side but he wasn’t fast enough as the other locked Yongguk’s shoulder tightly in his jaw and Yongguk was pressed upon the ground. With one of his hands, the Werewolf pushed down onto Yongguk’s abdomen, keeping him flat on the ground.

Seeing that he couldn’t fight against the intruders in his human form, Yongguk quickly shifted into a Werewolf. With the new strength quickly surging through his body, Yongguk ripped the Werewolf away. Stating his warning in the form of a growl, Yongguk laid eyes on the four Werewolves who find themselves back in front of him.

Fearlessly, they approached Yongguk once more and all at one time. Yongguk didn’t hold back either as he dashed forward, tackling one of the Werewolves to the forest's floor. Another Werewolf jumped onto Yongguk’s back but the Knight quickly twisted around and grabbed ahold of one of the Werewolf’s arms in his mouth and snapping it without leniency. 

The injured Werewolf howled in pain before falling onto his side. 

Allowing time for the injured Werewolf to escape, the others charged at Yongguk, distracting him. 

Not expecting much, Yongguk didn’t evade the next hit from the charging Werewolf, but waited head on. Due to that, Yongguk found himself roughly pushed back and crashing upon the ground. He didn’t expect such a strong force and he wasn’t expecting to hear something crack in his chest either. The three Werewolves went forward again and bit onto any part of Yongguk’s body that they could lock between their jaws. Aware of what injuries may follow, Yongguk worked quickly to detangle himself and moved from the spot, sliding away from them. As soon as he looked back, they were all gone.

Just like that.

Within that timespan – which could only have been 5 seconds at most, the Werewolves escaped. Yongguk panted and stepped back with wary and listened to his surroundings in worry that they might ambush him again. 

He jumped around, his body crouched in a warning state at the sound of another appearance. 

“Red.”

Seeing it was only his father, Yongguk relaxed and immediately dropped to the ground onto his side when his hind legs couldn’t hold him up anymore. He his back as the fatigue caught up to him. 

Steel walked closer to see Yongguk’s stretched athletic suit with gashes and rips on his side and on his shoulder where he was bleeding through. 

“You okay?”

Yongguk whined in response as his big furry head remained on the ground. He was too tired to lift his head and too tired to shift back to human form. Eventually, his body would be drained and it’ll change back on its own. 

“Let’s get back and get you checked out.” Steel breathes out and tells his son. “And let’s talked about how the country’s champion is in such a state.”

***

“What a sight.” Hero reaches out to help Yongguk peel off his athletic suit. 

But, Yongguk is quick to stop him. “I can do it myself.”

Hero shrugs and turns his attention elsewhere. “You know I’m going to have to touch you to actually treat you.”

The younger Knight ignores the comment and focuses on undressing.

“So…how’d all this happen?” Hero motions towards the wounds that covered Yongguk’s body. To be honest, the most Hero ever saw Yongguk injured was at the tournaments. Other than that, Yongguk only ever returned from a confrontation with little bruises and cuts – nothing ever this bad.

“There were four,” Yongguk answers shortly. 

“Four should have been a breeze for you,” Steel comments from the door with his body leaning up against the doorway.

Yongguk hisses in pain as Hero pokes at his shoulder. “Are you enjoying this?”

“Quite,” Hero answered amusingly. “This is a sight I’ve never seen you in and I’m taking a bit of joy in it.”

“When does the treating start?” Yongguk questions him and another smile makes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter