Chapter 65: Everyone Has Their Own Limits

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

She challenged him.

Yong Guk’s frustration was revealed in the form of heavy sighing. Unlike how he had planned the meeting to go down, he didn’t scare her away. But, once those thoughts vanished, others replaced it.

Like, thoughts of her.

It had been so long since he had seen her…and the last time he ran into her, he wasn’t exactly in his right mind. 

While walking through the castle, he used the time to think of what to do next. Before he knew it, his mindless walking brought him to a familiar space but there was something else he noticed. Opening the door –

“I thought I told everyone this place was off limits.”

Serri, who had been sitting on the wooden bench, quickly jumped to her feet. “Well – “ She struggled to find her words. 

Without another word, Yong Guk stepped aside and held the door open for her, silently urging her to leave. Serri took one last glance out the glass before heading towards him. 

“I didn’t come here purposely. I know this was your favorite place in the castle.” She explained. “It’s beautiful here.” Before she knew it, the scent coming from the greenhouse drew her to come. Yong Guk doesn’t offer another word or a response. “Okay.” She got the idea. 

Keeping his eyes on her, he made sure she was leaving before turning his attention back to the inside of the greenhouse. He soon closes the door, shutting it tightly before also returning in the direction he came from.

***

“Was Seonjang not happy with the plans?” Him Chan looked up and greeted Yong Guk the moment the Werewolf stepped into the library.

Silently, Yong Guk walked up to the desk and leaned forward. “You need to go to the border of Kkum and Yoggu.”

“…What for?”

“Our Queen is there.”

Him Chan thought over the words. “Why there?”

From what he could decipher from her words – “It seems she’s on the run. But, you know as much as I that she can’t be there. I couldn’t convince her last night.” 

“So, you want me to try?” Him Chan concluded. “But, Seonjang would know when I’m gone.”

“Think of an excuse.” 

Him Chan was good at that anyway.

“By the way, how was it?” Him Chan questioned vaguely. “Meeting her again.”

How could Yong Guk explain it? Standing there before her made him question his decision – he wanted to stay. “I didn’t want to part.”

The younger Werewolf nodded silently. He could somewhat understand the feeling.

***

“Him Chan, the person I was looking for.” Seonjang greeted from his seat at the desk.

Closing the office door behind him, Him Chan walks in. “What was it that you needed?”

“These plans –“ Seonjang lifts the packet of papers. “I want you to make changes.”

“How so?”

“Instead of the current border where the battle is taking place, I want plans to sneak into Yoggu.”

Him Chan tries to act subtle upon hearing the name of the region. “What is the target in Yoggu?”

“The statue of Kim Jun Ho.” Seonjang responds with a smile upon his face. “I want to break their morale a little more.” The fighting is dragging on longer than he expected. Well, there weren’t many expectations for the humans to begin with.

“There’s a lot of risk sneaking into that region.” Him Chan made sure to mention.

“You know being afraid won’t do us any good.” Seonjang commented. He had made promises that wouldn’t be deterred by such a feeling. “I can do this much.”

It’s too late to be careful.

Thinking over his words, Him Chan uses it to his advantage. “Then I would need to go to the border.” He reasons and it was justifiable to the point that he knew Seonjang wouldn’t question him.

And like how he predicted –

“Whatever is necessary.” Seonjang responds before looking up in thought. “It seems your previous royal is residing there…Yong Guk went last night to end her stay but I don’t know how effective it was.”

“If she is still there, I’ll make sure she leaves.” Him Chan says lastly before turning towards the door.

“Hey, Him Chan.” Seonjang calls out. “If she refuses, bring her here.”

Him Chan’s expression stiffens. “Sure.” 

***

“It’ll only be a matter of time before Red returns with others.” Steel notified everyone. After last night, none of them had much sleep…not including Jun Hong.

“Should we move further back?” Bronze offered. It was a simple solution but it just might be effective, the Werewolf rebels won’t get too close to Yoggu without proper planning. 

“Let’s do that for now.”

“Queen Hae Won, please just rest.” Steel says before motioning for the Knights to get started.

Like he had asked of me, I remained seated against the tree trunk. While the Knights were busy, I used the time to organize my thoughts. 

What exactly did I want?

Coming here was in the spur of the moment…solving one problem but where to go from here, I didn’t have the slightest clue. 

Did I agree with the Werewolves? Did I sympathize like how King Gang Han has labeled me to?

Of course I did. I understood what they wanted. 

And the humans – 

They want to protect what they felt belonged to them, not once bothering to yield to the other race. And with war now occurring, they have real reason to fight.

People have died. But, there will only be more casualties if this war continues. And while the thoughts may be troubling, there was still something I hadn’t come to terms with just yet.

The event from last night where I held the blade against the Werewolf rebel.

“Okay, it’s time to talk.” Dae Hyun appears and sits in front of me. He reaches forward and tugs my hand away, keeping my thumb from my teeth.

“Don’t you have to help the other Knights?”

“They gave me a pass.” He quickly offered the excuse. 

“What is it, Dae Hyun?” Seeing him sit in front of me sent me avoiding his eyes. 

“What were you thinking last night?”

Of course he would be the one to bring it up. “I had my reasons.”

“You had reasons to kill him?” 

I remained silent. Was it the reality of the situation I find hard to think about? Or the fact that I found my limit?

“We don’t need you to do something like that.” Dae Hyun filled in the silence. “You don’t need to protect us.”

Hearing his words, I finally looked up to meet his eyes. “Protect?”

“I know why you did what you did.” He explained before softening his next words. “Please don’t do something like that again.”

“But, why?” To me, it made sense. “Why can’t I protect you all?” And why couldn’t I finish the job last night to ensure their safety?

“I don’t want you to do something like that, not when you lose yourself in the process of it.”

“Queen Hae Won.” Steel calls for me. “Please come here and rest.”

Keeping my eyes on Dae Hyun, I answered the Knight. “Thank you, Mr. Bang.”

“Come on.” Dae Hyun moved to his feet and offered me his hand.

Placing mine into his, he pulled me to my feet. Holding onto his hand, he led me back to the tent.

“I told you already, didn’t I?” He says once more. “Leave everything up to me.”

But, what did that include?

“All that hard stuff you can’t handle, let me take care of it.”

We stopped in front of the tent and I turned to face him. I saw him struggling to find his words or was he debating whether or not to ask his next question?

“Are you really happy with who you are at this moment?”

Unable to offer a response, I diverted my eyes away from his.

“You may not believe it but the you now, is a lot more fragile than the old you.”

I shake my head, disagreeing with his words. “That’s not true.” 

“It’s true.” He tried to reason with me. “Do you know why? The old you was fearless but now, you are filled to the rim with the crippling feeling.”

***

Jun Hong looked at his surroundings. “I thought you told me no.”

“I changed my mind.” Dae Hyun simply responds. “Are you complaining?”

The young boy shakes his head. 

“There is something I want to make clear.” The Knight gathered Jun Hong’s attention. “Everything I’m going to teach you will only be us

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter