Chapter 36: Another Side You Shall See

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Haewon, now just because this plan works…he is not free from his punishment,” my father reminds me as we stood waiting in the hall. The Knight were off to bring out little helper. 

“But, it’ll be lessened?” I looked up at him.

“I’ll decide once this is over,” he responds carefully.

“How could I change your decision?” I tried once more. I didn’t want to give up just yet. Not when I had time to possibly change it.

“It’s going to take a lot to convince me.” He returned a smile and I turned away from him, not content with his response. My father was always best at shooting me down – he had years of practice.

Steel walked up to stay beside my father as we awaited the rest of the Knights and I didn’t notice him making his way over to where I stood. “Princess Haewon, please take this.”

I placed my hand out for whatever Steel wanted to hand to me. “What is it?” I looked down at the small device lying in my palm. 

“We’ll be needing your help. Remember, Princess?” Steel politely questions back. “You will never be far from the black Werewolf.” He pointed down to the small black device in my hand. “You will be speaking into this earpiece.”

“We’re giving this to Jongup?” I was only planning to remind Jongup to listen to the Knights that will be with him but, I guess this is a better method. 

“Yes, we are.” Steel gently nods back. “They’re here.”

From around the corner, we see the Knights making their way to meet us in the hallway. Jongup was still in his binds as the Knights took their precautions to make sure his power was lowered and that his movements were limited. Another precaution is to have Yongguk remain attached to him by one of the binds before the plan is initiated. One cuff around Yongguk’s wrist while the other cuff remains on Jongup’s. 

They stopped before us as Jongup kept his eyes on me. I gave him a smile in hopes of easing whatever worries he may have.

“This is what will happen,” Steel calls for our attention. “Hero and I will remain here with the King and Princess while, Chief and Stealth are positioned outside within the castle’s vicinity as they keep an eye on our team.” The specific Knights returned a nod. “Our team will consist of Red, the new Knight –“

“Daehyun,” I respond since the Knights are still so careful about saying the Werewolf’s name.

“ – Bronze, and…,” Steel didn’t seem perturbed by my interjection but hesitated once again.

“Jongup,” I filled in the silence.

“Right.” Steel nods and turns to me – subtly thankful for my additions. “Princess, do you mind saying a few words to our helper?” 

I squatted down before Jongup, who tried to move closer to me but Yongguk prevented him from doing so. So instead, I moved to him. “Jongup, I know you understand well so please listen to these Knights,” I started off gently before reaching for his ear with the device. “You will hear me through this while you’re out there.” 

He returns a nod while the others present look on, silently.

“Be careful and try your best.”

After gently fixing the device in Jongup’s ear, I stand up to allow them to move on past me. 

“What’s going on here?” Auntie Hwa appears from the same direction and watches on curiously along with her Knight, Helios.

“We’re handling some castle affairs, Hwa,” my father responds to her inquisitive question. 

Auntie Hwa nods her head in understanding. “Great stuff,” she retorts. “Haewon, won’t you take me to your greenhouse again? Let the adults take care of the boring task.” Auntie Hwa says with amusement while my father stares at her in disbelief.

“Haewon actually is needed here with the adults so she has no time to play with you,” my father shot back.

“You are always no fun, Hyunjin.” Auntie Hwa never lost in a fight of words.

I looked on finding the situation absolutely funny but my father wasn’t as amused as I. 

“They’re releasing the Werewolf soon,” Steel notifies us. “Princess, please take this.” Steel hands me a walkie-talkie. “You can communicate with him through this.”

Instead of going elsewhere, Auntie Hwa stayed on the side to watch us. “Helios, do you have any clue about what’s going on?”

“The Knights are looking for the Werewolves that are behind the attack on King Hyunjin’s castle and the Princess is aiding in their task, Queen Hwa.” Helios kindly clears it up for her.

Something he always naturally did due to the Queen not caring about such matters.

***

Yongguk took the binds off one by one. “Here are your orders,” he kept his voice steady and authoritative as he directed it to the Werewolf before him. “You are to lead us to them but you will not engage once we find them.”

Daehyun is skeptical about the whole thing. “Does he even understand –“

Before he could finish his question, the Werewolf nodded back. And the simple action was enough to silent the Knight. 

“I spoke too soon,” Daehyun mumbled to himself. 

“And, no shifting,” Yongguk reminds the black Werewolf. The Werewolf no longer had binds on him so that was a worry.

“Now the rest of your orders,“ Bronze interjects and while calling for the two Knights’ attention, “we are to remain together, no splitting up unless the situation calls for it. Upon finding the Werewolves, we will assess the circumstances and will decide what we should do from there.”

“So, we’re winging it?” Daehyun blurted.

“Situations never go the way it’s planned. That’s why it’s important that you are always on your feet,” Bronze replies before looking at the Werewolf squatting down beside his feet. “Begin.” 

At his order, Jongup sprints for the forest as the three Knights follow closely after him. As Yongguk kept up in speed, he couldn’t ignore the surprising speed the Werewolf had and it was all before he even shifted. Escaping wouldn’t be a problem for the black Werewolf if that was what he wanted. Yongguk isn’t sure if the others thought similarly to him. Daehyun and Bronze didn’t fall behind and Yongguk hopes it remains that way.

Occasionally, Jongup would stop amongst the tress to sniff at the air and would decide from there where to go. Yet, it was only a mystery to Yongguk what scent he was actually catching on. For some reason, he couldn’t detect anything.

“He is mindlessly leading us,” Yongguk spoke into his earpiece.

“Give him some time,” Bronze responds once he caught up with Daehyun beside him. 

“But, there is no scent…there isn’t anything,” Yongguk retorts.

“Just because you don’t smell it, it doesn’t mean there isn’t anything there,” Daehyun interjects. Not because it pissed Yongguk off – actually, a little bit but also because it was truly something Daehyun thought.

Yongguk didn’t respond and continues after the black Werewolf but the next thing that the Knights hear make their minds race.

“It’s the whistle,” Bronze announces while Yongguk thinks of what to do. “They know we’re here.”

“He’s going to ditch us,” Yongguk notifies the others before speeding on ahead to catch the black Werewolf before he could choose to escape. 

Bronze held down on his earpiece. “Princess Haewon, we need your help.” 

***

Bronze’s clear voice comes out through the walkie-talkie and I pick it up close to my lips. “Is Jongup escaping?”

“No, Princess. But, we hear the whistle again.”

My heartbeat quickened. The last time the whistle was heard, Jongup nearly got away and he only did when the Werewolves from the forest showed up. What if he decides to leave with them again?

I switched the channel and held down the button like how Steel taught me and readied myself before speaking. “Jongup.”

I released the button and heard pants.

“Jongup, this is Haewon,” I clarified. “I know you hear the whistle but don’t go to them,” I calmly spoke each word.

“He’s still racing ahead, Princess,” Steel notified me.

“Father, what should I do?” Panic rose to my throat as I looked towards my father. “I don’t think he’ll listen to me.”

“Just try, Haewon,” my father urges me and I go back to the device in my hand.

“Jongup, please listen to me.” I focused my eyes out the window in the hallway as if I could see him. “Do not go back to them.” I wish I somehow had more confidence in him. “Don’t go back to where it hurts.” 

Again, once I released the button, Jongup’s pants were hear

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter