Chapter 15: Something's Brewing

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For the first time today, I did something that was out of the ordinary. 

I actually took it upon myself to invite a guest over to the castle. Although, Woobin was the first guest to visit me, he didn’t count. 

He wasn’t invited.

I couldn’t even begin to tell you how happy my father was when he learned about what I did. It was like killing two birds with one stone. I actually wanted to meet with Youngjae and my father can now stop worrying about my lack of social life. 

He thinks that’s the main reason behind my acts of befriending our prisoners. 

But, I didn’t know how to tell him that that was far from the truth.

And speaking of our prisoners, there was someone who was unrightfully placed in a prison cell. I wasn’t going to deny it. It was due to my begging and another promise to my father to get Daehyun moved out of the cell and into a hospital bed. 

No complaining when we begin to enter the season of visiting banquets and social dinners. 

Easy enough.

Now, back to why I was inviting someone over. 

Thoughts about my lesson with my teacher flashe through my mind. The desire to be listened to took root within me and I didn’t want to know the feeling of being brushed aside any longer. If I wanted to gain influence, I needed to find allies — people that I trusted. 

But, that was easier said than done. I didn’t have too many choices…though one person came to mind.

A smile appears on my lips and I bow at Youngjae’s presence. “Thank you for coming, Prince Youngjae.” I had gone out of my way to meet him in the garage, along with Mirae.

He walks towards me, his Knight trailing closely behind, and cheerfully greets me back, “thank you for inviting me.” He looked beside him to introduce his companion for the first time, “this is my Knight, Storm.” The Knight was dressed in a dark blue suit, their own kingdom’s emblem stitched onto his shoulder. 

Storm: 21 years old

I gave the Knight a nod as he bowed in return.

“Where’s the champion?” Youngjae searches the area. 

“There were some things he had to take care of,” I repeat the same words spoken to me by Yongguk. But, it was terribly obvious that he was still investigating the case with Daehyun. Our conversation takes a different turn as I lead him up into the castle’s main floor and towards the guest room.

He looked around in the hallway to see the intricate gold embellishes that lined the white ceilings. “This will be my first official visit to your castle, Princess Haewon.”

“I hope my status as the unsociable Princess will change after this,” I joked lightly as I motioned down the hall. “We’re almost to the guest room.”

Even though, I had progressed this much, it was still weird to actually invite a royalty over as my guest. My days usually consisted of studies, Yongguk, roses, and more Yongguk. But, recently it has changed with everything that has taken place in the past few weeks.

“So, what’s the reason for you inviting me over?” Youngjae gives me a knowing smile as he sips his tea and leans back comfortably into his chair.

I wasn’t surprised to find that was his first question to ask me. Even in our first meeting, Youngjae was quite blunt and straight to the point. Something I preferred anyway.

“I wanted to talk to someone that is up to date with kingdom affairs,” I answer honestly. Since the last time we had met at Sungrok’s trial, I had a feeling Youngjae would be kept up with the happenings in the kingdoms and regions.

“What would you like to know?” He leaned forward to give me his undivided attention. 

I hesitated on asking, “can I trust you?” I gave him a small smile, showing that I didn’t mean to insult him in any way. I was always taught to be careful and I had grown to be cautious. It was one thing to get along with Youngjae but it was another to fully trust him, as a friend.

His lips quirked up into a smile. “Even if I were to say yes, would you believe me?”  He studied me carefully before beginning again, “I actually hold no ill intention towards you, Princess Haewon. I may be wrong but, just like you, I also dislike people without substance — like the few who are ignorant, only to be concerned about superficial matters.” I stayed silent as he continued, “whatever you may wish to share with me, it will remain safe with me.”

I smiled at his words. “Any secret?”

“After all, it’ll be a second secret that I will be keeping between us.”

My brows furrowed at his statement. “Second secret?” I don’t remember having told him anything before. My brain worked quickly to uncover what I may have spilled to him unknowingly. But, in the end, my mind came up blank.

He smiled wider due to my confusion. “At the banquet where we first met, during the Lone Werewolf’s attack —“ that brought back unwanted memories but I push the uncomfortable feeling aside, “— you called your father’s Knight, ‘mister’.” 

My eyes rounded in surprise. I didn’t think anyone heard that due to the chaos at the time but it didn’t slip from Youngjae’s attention, it seems. “You heard?”

“I did,” he confirmed once again. “I have always heard you were different, Princess Haewon.” Something that Prince Woobin had also brought up. “A difference that not many will accept.”

It's true. For the rest of the royals to know that a Princess is on informal terms with a Knight would create all sorts of problems. They will question my teachings, they will question how I was raised, and it will simply put me in a disadvantage in the eyes of others. More so than I already am at the current moment.

“Are you in that category?” I stared at him, full of anticipation for his answer.

He took a second before shaking his head, fulfilling my expectations. “I don’t care, since I am not concerned about such ‘superficial’ things.”

This would mark the first time meeting someone like Youngjae. Now, I was thankful to have run into him at the banquet. 

“Thank you, Prince Youngjae,” I am sincerely grateful. “Now then —“ I breathed out in relief, “—my question.” He sat back into his seat as I spoke my next words, “I want to know everything about the rebellion that was crushed in the region of Yoggu.”

Youngjae thinks for a second. “I’m sure you know the basics of it. It was made up of Lone Werewolves.” 

I nodded my head, wanting to narrow the broad topic down. “Specifically, I want to know if it can happen again.” I know my father said Steel will look into it, but I wanted to put in my own efforts. And, I’m also taking advantage of the fact that Yongguk wasn’t present at the current time. I didn’t need him to worry uselessly — he had more important things to be concerned about.

“Have you heard anything, Storm?” Youngjae turns his head slightly to send the question to his Knight behind him. 

“It was stated that it was a weak rebellion, no chances of it to form again, Prince,” Storm answers before straightening up again. 

This is the third time that Sungrok’s words were contradicted. But, I couldn’t shake away the doubt.

“Is there something, Princess Haewon?” Youngjae looks at me, noticing my expression. “Is there a reason why you’re asking that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter