Chapter 70: The King's First Offensive and Our Retailiation

The Princess' Knight: Red [Editing]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“King Gang Han, what do you think you’re doing?” King Min Jong stood to his feet, taken aback by the appearance of the specialized forces in his room. There was no warning that would have given him time to prepare.

“They are here to take you away.”

A scoff left King Min Jong’s mouth. “Take me away? To where?”

“Prison.”

“King Gang Han, you’re short of an explanation.”

“I have reason to believe you are conspiring a coup.” King Gang Han simply responds. “As Commander, I have a war to win and I cannot have my own people trying to harm me.”

“And does the right to imprison people without proper cause fall under the duty of Commander?” King Min Jong asked in disbelief. “You are overstepping your obligations.”

“Do you know why I was voted in?” He questioned while King Min Jong didn’t bother to provide an answer. “Because the royals trust me to lead them to victory, they have given me the authority and I will get rid of nuisances that stand in my way of accomplishing what we all want – so, I am not overstepping my obligations, I am only being responsible.”

He motioned his men forward and they efficiently placed on the cuffs, binding King Min Jong’s hands in front of him.

“Whom else are you involved with?” 

“No one else. Just me.”

“That’s not possible.” King Gang Han immediately denied his words. “News was carried around quite well…the Knights have helped you.” He concludes. “Prince Young Jae, was it?” Spinning around, the King quickly left the room to find the next person. 

Soo Hyuk was walking behind Prince Kang Jun when King Gang Han briskly passed them with his forces in tow. Turning his head, Soo Hyuk tried to figure out the reason behind the King’s rushed manner.

With a sigh, Prince Kang Jun spoke to himself. “Well, they asked for it.”

“Who? Prince Kang Jun?” Soo Hyuk politely asked from beside the Prince.

Staring forward, his question was answered. Along with some men from the King’s force, King Min Jong was escorted out of his room in cuffs.

“If he was arrested, Prince Young Jae must be next.” The Prince casually states. The past few days, the two have been defaming King Gang Han around the other royals staying in the castle. It was only time before the King caught onto the word.

“…And Prince Young Jae’s Knights?” Soo Hyuk asked.

“Of course they’re going to share the same fate. What do you think?” The Prince snapped.

The Prince resumed his walk while Soo Hyuk remained stuck in his spot. Countless thoughts were running through his mind and it had nothing with the Prince’s attitude towards him – that was insignificant.

***

“You have been empty-minded ever since the small battle ended here.” Hero commented while checking over Yong Guk. He kept his eyes focusing on his task as a way to not make the Knight feel he had intruded on him.

“That’s not true.” Dae Hyun denied the Knight’s careful observation.

“You should know this is an important time – we have gotten into the middle of the war now.” Though the topic was serious, Hero still managed to keep the conversation light.

“Don’t worry.” Dae Hyun knew his priorities and what he needed to do but it has gotten increasingly complicated on his part.

“Is there something you need advice on?” 

It was tempting but Dae Hyun figured it would be best to keep it to himself for the time being. “There isn’t anything bothering me.”

“Even if you don’t tell me, the Queen will catch onto your behavior.” Hero warns. “You know how observant she is.”

“I’m telling you that it’s nothing.” Dae Hyun sighs. When he’s around her, he’ll just act like he normally would and hope she doesn’t notice.

***

Before I had a chance to visit Yong Guk, Steel appeared right outside my bedroom door. 

“Queen, I’m sorry for the interruption.”

“What is it?”

“King Hee Bin and Prince Woo Bin wishes to see you – a guest have brought news along with him.” I allowed Steel to take care of bringing me to the royals in the meeting room. Arriving before the door, Woo Bin was the one to open it. 

“Come inside.” He held it open for us.

“Steel, could you bring Jun Hong here.” I think it’s time to share everything. With a nod, Steel goes off and does so.

Looking forward once more, I finally figured out who the guest was. “Soo Hyuk, you’re making another appearance?” Surely, wouldn’t Prince Kang Jun catch onto his absence?

He stood before me and bowed. “Queen Hae Won, I hope you’re recovering well.”

“King Min Jong, Prince Young Jae, and his Knights have been arrested under the suspicions of scheming a coup.” King Hee Bin took the role of announcing the news. 

“What coup?” I questioned in shock.

“For taking matters into their hands regarding Yoggu and because they helped you, Queen Hae Won.” Soo Hyuk explained. “King Gang Han took it as a threat to his power.”

“They didn’t know he also took part in helping us.” Woo Bin further clarified. “So, he was able to come and alert us.”

“What about Prince Kang Jun?” I questioned. “You were lucky the first time, I don’t think you’re going to be safe.”

He nodded in understanding. He had also taken that into consideration before coming here. “I would like to offer my help from this moment forward – things are changing and now, I want to do as I wish.”

“Soo Hyuk, I hope you know what that means.” I commented lightly.

“I’m prepared, Queen Hae Won.”

“I think it’s safe to say that we have two enemies now.” Woo Bin sighed and stated. “King Gang Han and Seonjang.”

“We should discuss how we can deal with one first.”

“King Gang Han.” I responded to King Hee Bin’s suggestion. “We should stop him first.” 

A knock temporarily displaces our attention and Steel walks in with Jun Hong behind him. I expected some comment about ordering him around but he remained quiet and patiently took a seat beside me. I wonder why he has gotten so obedient lately. No complaints, no rebelling against me – it was all too strange. “I haven’t officially introduced him, have I?” He stayed here with the King and Prince for a while but not much information was shared before I disappeared.

“What does the boy have to do with anything?” Woo Bin asked curiously.

“Don’t be mistaken, Jun Hong plays a role.” Not because he chose to but he was unfortunately born into it.

“What did you mean when you say he’s involved?” King Hee Bin questioned.

“Jun Hong is Queen Hwa’s son.”

“I have never realized the King and late Queen had a son.” The King replied.

“Gang Han…isn’t my father.” Jun Hong answers King Hee Bin. “My mother’s Knight was.”

The two royals stared wide-eyed at us. Subtly, I noticed the King and Prince’s Knights in the room also reacting in shock.

“King Gang Han holds a hatred towards Werewolves due to this reason.” I explained. “So, this war won’t end simply…I think he would go as far as eradicating the race if given the chance.”

“And Queen Hwa’s death?” King Hee Bin wondered.

“Using the chaos during the time, King Gang Han executed her as part of his grudge. And I made sure to rescue Jun Hong from the castle while thinking he was going to be next.” 

“So, that’s what happened.” Woo Bin finally realized.

“And Jun Hong is…” King Hee Bin noticed. “A hybrid – a human and a Werewolf.”

“Yes.” I answered softly. 

“If this got out, how would people respond?” The King can only think of problems at the news.

“We need to ensure that people are aware he poses no threat – I see it quite positively.” I smiled at the boy. “Jun Hong is the future, a connection that will link humans to Werewolves. Maybe it will create understanding among the two races.” Since our goal is to compromise anyway. 

“Who are we to disagree with you, Queen Hae Won.” King Hee Bin gives in. “We will trust you.”

“King Hee Bin.” The door abruptly opens and it reveals the King’s Knight. “I apologize for my interruption but there is something that requires your attention…immediately.” 

Everyone gets up to their feet and Steel continues with his task with pushing me along. Reaching the window across the hallway, we all looked outside to see what the King’s Knight wanted to show us.

There – surrounding the castle’s property was King Gang Han’s specialized forces. The men filed out of the trucks and along with them were a variety of weaponry. The people temporarily staying in the camps responded with surprise and gasps at the sight of them.

“What is the purpose of this?” King Hee Bin stated underneath his breath.

“Prince Kang Jun noticed my disappearance – he had first raised suspicions when he didn’t see me during the siege of Yoggu.” Soo Hyuk answered. “I’m sorry, Queen Hae Won.”

“It’s not your fault.” I replied with my eyes focused on the outside.

“He had no forces to rescue Yoggu but he has enough to keep us locked here?” Woo Bin exclaimed in irritation.

“T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter