Two

Breaths and Pulses

 

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          Those three days felt like an eternity, but today was finally the day. My nurse entered my room slowly, thinking I would be asleep at seven in the morning. "You must really excited to have waken up so early," she said. I smiled, similar to a child's expression when they receive that toy they've been begging for. She unhooked everything needed to disconnect me from their machines. It's a great feeling to not have to rely on machinery to detect my abnormalities.

          Both the nurse and I slowly walked to the front desk to discharge me. Every now and then I would breathe heavily, so I had to stop for a while, making me wait even longer. After several stops for breath, we reached the front desk. Soo Jin was sitting in the waiting room in front of the desk. I called her name, slightly breathless, and she strutted over. "Why aren't you in your room," I asked curiously, but with a grin on my face, happy to see her.
 
          "Well we weren't going to have lunch together today, so I thought I'd come see you get discharged." I hugged her and she tried not to squeeze the breath out of me. She waited with me as I completely filled out my paperwork and collected my medicine. Then I was ready to be on my way home.
 
          "We'll see you in a few months, _____, have a good time," my nurse said with a bow. I bowed as well and turned back to Soo Jin. "I'll come eat lunch with you tomorrow, I promise." Soo Jin lightly smiled and took off her beanie, revealing her shaved head, and put it on my head.
 
          "It's windy today; better wear this to keep your ears warm." I hugged her one last time and exited the building. I breathed in the smell of the trimmed bushes and the freshly cut grass. What a sensation it was. The smell is always different when I come outside. Either it's fresh and pleasant, smelly and distasteful, or even flowery like perfume. I looked around at the familiar parking lot, noticing the new things. They planted some more trees in the front. Even added a few colors to the sidewalk, probably to amuse the kids.
 
          After taking in the smell and new surroundings, I headed to my car, which was only a few spots away from the entrance. I climbed in and embraced the feeling of my car seat, not because it was more comfortable than my hospital bed, but because it wasn't my hospital bed. I'm glad to be out of bed. I'm glad to be out and about, even if it is only for a few months.
 
          I didn't rush home, but I didn't take my time either. I wanted to take in all the scenery, but I was also excited to get home. I the radio, and listened to the new melodies. A few songs I actually knew came on, and I jammed out like I haven't in four months. Oh wait, I haven't. Soon enough, my concert was over when I came to the driveway of my home. Luckily, my parents left me one thing, their paid-off house. But of course, there's still the electric, water etc. bills. Usually I shut everything off before I leave, but I still have to pay the bills. I only work when I'm not in the hospital, but I love what I do. I teach beginner artist techniques from 4o'clock to 5o'clock. From 8:30 to 1o'clock, I work at my old dance studio, not as a choreographer, but as a secretary. It's not the best job, but it pays well. Plus, I'm comfortable there. I grew up in that old, ragged building, since I wasn't able to enjoy my childhood in this house.
 
          I unlocked the front door and entered my now-loved home. I touched the walls, adoring the painted, decorative walls, that I decorated myself once my family left. I went straight to my art studio room and looked at all my canvases all still sitting exactly how I left them. I opened the curtains of the giant window in the room, letting the sunlight fill the room. A welcoming feeling, not like anything the nurses or doctors could provide at the hospital. Suddenly, the whole room felt complete. The sun always made me feel complete. Maybe because it will never leave me, except at night, but I know it's still there.
 
          I grabbed a paint palette and began mixing colors to finish the painting closest to the window. I wanted to hear more than just my brush sliding against the canvas in different patterns, so I decided to open the window. The sound of birds chirping and cars driving by filled the room. "That's much better," I thought to myself.
 
          "Hello," a man said coming up to my window. He startled me a little, but luckily I didn't spread the paint to places it wasn't supposed to go to. "Sorry if I interrupted you, I moved in last month, along with a few of my friends. I know this is a bit sudden, but would you like to come have dinner with us tonight? Other neighbors have told us a lot about you and told us that you were going to be away longer than usual. Now that you're back, we'd love to treat you on your first day home. Think of it as a neighborly favor," the young, handsome man continued.
 
          "Oh, sorry I wasn't here to greet you all. I would love to have dinner with all of you. I'm _____, by the way."
 
          "I'm Hoseok, but they call my J-Hope."
 
          "That's an...interesting name."
 
          "Well I'm an interesting person. Mind if I grab the guys and hop in through the window? They've been really excited to meet you."
 
          "Uh, sure. I'd love to meet them," I replied with a slight chuckle. He smiled, showing his pearly whites and bowed a little as he ran across the street. I continued painting my canvas and waited patiently for the others to arrive. I wondered what they''d be like.
 
          It was refreshing to see a new face. Being stuck in one building, one room, with typically the same people. It tends to get super boring. That's why I love coming home so much. To get out of bed. To see new places, new people. Anything but the same walls, magazines, same meal plan every week. I may stay at the hospital for only two weeks at a time, but when you have absolutely nothing to do, you start to appreciate the things you thought were the simple aspects of life.