Seventeen

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Taehyung's POV

          My parents tried everything in their power to convince Chang Hyun to change his mind, but he wouldn't. Tears filled my mother's eyes before they fell to her face, and my father was outraged at my brother's wishes. "Chang Hyun, how could you be so selfish? This is our one chance to have Taehyung stay with us. We risked our relationship with our son to help you live, and now you want to just throw him out? You may not want him here, but we do, and we're not taking him home," my father shouted. I could see Chang Hyun building up tears while he trembled with anger. He clenched his fists, making his knuckles turn white.

         "What good will that do? Aren't you leaving anyway? What makes you think he'll stay for you two? He lived over half of his life hating the both of you for abondoning him, and I don't blame him one bit. He even said he would never understand why you made the choice you made, and neither will I! Taehyung is the only family member I will ever respect and that's why I can't put him through this. I don't want to become attached to just leave later." Chang Hyun stopped arguing and looked at me with apologetic eyes. "And I hope he understands that," he said, almost in a whisper. I nodded and walked to him, giving him a well-deserved, big-brother hug. I whispered to him that I understood, as much as it hurt, but I did. I wanted to get to know my brother, but I will never get to know him as well as I should have for thirteen years in just a few weeks. He's...leaving soon, so what good would it do now?

          "If that's really want you want, I understand," I said when I pulled away from the embrace. My parents were never going to accept this decision. Chang Hyun was right; I wouldn't stay with them when Chang Hyun is gone. I had no reason to stay. I finally know why they never came back for me, I know Chang Hyun is alive (or at least for the time being), and that's all I needed to know to be content. There are no other feelings for my parents other than that they mean nothing to me. Harsh, maybe, but I'm not angry with them, or sad, or upset. Not even a feeling a hatred comes to mind anymore; just nothing. Soon I will forget ever seeing their faces again; forget everything about them, and that's what I want. They abandoned me, so I will do the exact same to them.

          It took about two hours of arging and crying before my parents finally decided to take me home, trying to make excuses as to why they couldn't leave as soon as possible. Chang Hyun rode along next to me in the backseat again. This eternity felt longer than the one from this morning, but it didn't hurt as much as earlier. I admit I'd love to spend every last second with Chang Hyun. I'd love to get to know as much about him as I possibly could in the few days we would have, but it will only be harder on him if I had stayed. After reaching my neighborhood, I felt like I made the wrong decision, like I should enforce my wanting to stay with Chang Hyun, but I had to it up. I tried to hold in my sobs, only letting a few tears slip. My father slowly approached the front of my home and I stepped out of the car along with my parents and Chang Hyun. "I'm going to go ahead and say what I need to say before you tell me not to," I said as Chang Hyun stepped up next to me. "You're my brother, and you always have been, always will. As your brother, I want to wish you a happy life. I don't want you to spend your last weeks in misery, so go out and do something you've always wanted to do." My brother smiled and it was the same smile I saw when he was just a little baby, only with teeth this time. I didn't give one last look at my parents before walking inside my house, but I looked at Chang Hyun who smiled happily, tears falling on one side of his face. He opened the car door and took his seat, and I walked inside to a silent house.

 

_____'s POV

          As I watched the boys practice, I felt my phone vibrate in my front pocket. I pulled it out, reading the caller ID; Seoul, Hospital. Pointing to my phone to let the boys know where I was going, I walked out of the studio to the front entrance. "Hello?"

          "Hi, _____, this is Doctor Jung. We just got the results from the tests when you were here two days ago. From the sweat test, it shows your salt levels have increased, which is normal for a CF patient. As for your oxygen levels, they have decreased. We want you to come back next week, if you have time. Until then you need to drink a glass of water about every one to two hours a day to hydrate yourself and increase your oxygen levels. Then we'll take another test and we'll go on from there."

          "Okay, I can do that. I can come in next Saturday, if that works. Is there anything else I need to do?"

          "Just make sure you exercise properly, but not to over work yourself. Try not to do anything that could raise your blood pressure to maintain the rest of your body, since your oxygen levels are low. I'll have you down for two o'clock next Saturday. We'll see you then."

          "Yes, thank you, see you next week," I replied, hanging up the phone. My free hand moved through my hair in frustration. Immediately I went back inside to grab a cup of water. I chugged down one cup after the other, then I received a call from Taehyung. "Oh, Taehyung, how are you?"

          "I'm at home, actually. Are you at home? Where are the guys," he said.

          "I'm with the guys at the studio. Wait, what do you mean you're at home? They brought you back?"

          "I'll explain when you all come back, okay?" After I hung up, I ran to tell the boys about Taehyung and we all loaded into the car, making our way back to the boys' house.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, so recently one of my friends was diagnosed with CF, so most of the information in this story is coming from her, like the tests and other information. I asked her if it feels any different than regular breathing and she said it's like breathing through a small area, things like that. After a while, she said, it gets tiring to breathe, so I just thought I'd share that to let you all know where I'm receiving some of my details on CF, but also I am sorry if any of the information is inaccurate! My friend is doing fine right now btw! Anyway thank you for reading and for the votes and subscribers, it means a lot!

Annyeong! <3