Eight

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          The next morning, I woke up to the shouts of male voices. I looked at the clock to my right and I forced myself out of bed. I ran out of my room to the kitchen, grabbing attention from the boys, and poured some cereal in a bowl, milk following it. Trying to finish, although I didn’t have time to, I sipped the remaining milk and set the bowl in the sink. I ran back to my room, changed out of my sleepwear, and put on some makeup. “Guys, I’m running late to work, so whenever you all leave, please lock the place up for me? Thanks,” I announced, slipping on some shoes. I didn’t bother to stay for a response, I had about 10 minutes to get to work. I wish they would've woke me up at least.

          Speeding through the streets, I managed to make it to the shop about a minute before my clock-in time. Panting, I checked in my ticket for attendance. Just barely made it, but I was still on time. I walked to the back, where we usually meet for the days to-do list, and tried to catch my breath. My hands fell to my knees, like I had just run a mile. I searched for my bag, with my inhaler and phone, which wasn’t present. Panic took over me, making my air intake even worse. Luckily I gave Ms. Jung a spare inhaler for situations like this, I just hope she remembers where she put it. Stumbling to her office, I tapped Ms. Jung’s broad, boney shoudler which was facing me. With a look of surprise, she rummaged through her desk and dug out my inhaler. I quickly took it and pressed the top down to activate the medicine that helps clear my lungs. After about four minutes, I started to breathe normally, well as normal as I could in my condition.

          "_____, are you okay,” Ms. Jung asked sincerely. I nodded, although it was the incorrect gesture. I’m not okay. I feel lightheaded, like I could pass out any second, but I can’t afford to go home. She patted my back with a half-smile on her face. Ms. Jung walked out from behind her desk and greeted my co-workers. Most of them didn't witness my situation, but the few that did gave me sad, puppy-eye looks. As best as I could, I avoided eye contact with them.

          Ms. Jung talked about our assignments for the day; the new stock coming in thirty minutes, clearing of certain items, work on sale items, and, of course, the usual customer service. "I posted an assignment board. On that board, you must find your name, then off to the right, is your assignment. Hopefully this will help get everything in faster and in a more orderly fashion."

          I let my co-workers check for their names first while I switched the 'closed' sign to 'open.' After a few minutes, I checked the board for my name, but it wasn't there. I knocked on Ms. Jung's office door, although it was open, to signal my presence. "Um, Ms. Jung, I think you might have forgotten my name on the board," I told her. She put down the pen she was writing with, interlaced her fingers, and looked up at me. Now I know she needs to tell me something important, and it can't be good, judging from the look on her face.

          "I didn't forget. I couldn't forget my favorite employee. The reason your name isn't on the board is because I'm letting you go." No this wasn't my dream job, but I did like it here. It reminded me of my aunt, it almost felt like she was here with me, after all, this is like her safe house. So hearing this news was painful to hear. "Don't worry, I'm paying you for the rest of this week, but you won't be coming in to work. _____, you are just too sick to keep working. Just earlier you almost passed out; I'm just looking out for you, _____."

          "But Ms. Jung, earlier, I was rushing to get here. I was running around my house before I got here. I just didn't want to be late. The running around is what caused it, although it involved my illness, it was just the running around, I promise. Please, I need this job, I live on my own and I need to make a living somehow, and-"

          "I'm sorry, but I can't let you keep stressing over this place. About living on your own, I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I let you keep working here, making your body work more than it should."

          "But Ms. Jung, I can handle it! I need-"

          "_____, please go home. Rest and take good care of yourself. If you ever need anything, other than a job, feel free to call me." Ms. Jung patted my shoulder and gently pushed me out of the door. I knew the look on my face was unpleasant, so I tried to hide it from my co-workers as much as possible. After cleaning out my employee locker, I sat in my car and just breathed. I felt my fingertips pulse and listened to my heartbeat in my ears. Although I was thankful to feel both of these, I hated it. Why does this have to happen to me? I can't even keep a job because I'm sick. I know how to take care of myself, but no one else seems to think so. I had to learn how to take care of myself. I've been doing it for almost four years now! I'm not going to even go to the trouble to prove that I can do it. What's the point?

          After several minutes, I decided to drive home. I would go see Soo Jin, but I knew I couldn't see her until lunch time and it was only nine. Once I arrived in my garage, expecting my door to be locked, I was welcomed by Hoseok. "Ahh, _____, why are you home so early?"

          "You guys still haven't left," I asked, avoiding the question. It's somewhat embarrassing to lose your job over something as silly as an illness that I can handle.

          "We wanted to make sure you were okay after last night," Hoseok replied, opening the door wider to let me in. I slipped off my shoes and ignored the others so I could go to my room and just think about what I'm going to do now.

          If I can't work, how am I going to make money? How am I going to be able to pay for food, my house, my electricity and phone bills? How will I pay for anything? I know other places are hiring but once they read my application about being fired for my CF, I won't get hired. I tired to shrug everything off but I couldn't. As a conclusion, I decided to work on my portrait of Soo Jin and I. It was almost done, just a few last minute details and it'll be done. Hopefully, if I finish it, I can give it to her later today. I touched up on some discoloration spots, then going in and adding wrinkles in the skin where they should be. Although the background in the reference picture is one of the hospital rooms, I painted a sky and trees. Despite how much she'd love the thought anyway, I didn't want her to keep a picture of us in the hospital. That's not how she'd want to remember our friendship: stuck and unhappy.

          I finished the details sooner than I thought I would. Placing the canvas by the window to let the sun shine on it, I left the room to see what the guys have been doing in my home. I noticed Namjoon and Suga were working on music, Jimin, Jungkook, and Hoseok worked on choreography. Taehyung and Jin both looked like they were stuck between both, but managed to put their thoughts into each group. Jungkook waved me over and asked for my opinion on what they had done so far. I clapped once they finished about a minute into the song. "I think it looks awesome. Are you stuck on the next part," I commented. Jimin nodded and restarted the song from where they left off. I listened to the beat, hearing strong pounding noises. I gave a few suggestions, even trying to dance myself, but I tried not to do anything completely exhausting for me.

          "I just came up with the best idea in the world, and you all are going to thank me for it," Suga announced. All of our eyes were set on him, waiting to hear his brilliance. "What if _____ was our manager? It would really take a load off on us, not to put it on you, _____, but it would help us a lot." The other boys cheered and praised Suga for his idea. On the other hand, I was a bit unsure about it, it could be a way to make money?

          "Will I get paid for this? The reason I came home early is because I was fired, and I need a job."

          "Of course you will," Taehyung replied loud and proud.

          "Why did you get fired," Jin asked. I shook my head, not wanting to answer the question. "Well then, will you be our manager?" I didn't give myself time to think about it, but I agreed to it anyway. I need some way to get money, and this may be my only chance. Plus, I'll get to spend more time with the guys, but hopefully not less time with Soo Jin. She needs me, especially right now with her condition getting worse. I'm sure they'll understand if I need a day off or something for her. At least I hope they will.