Fourteen

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          Early Friday morning, I get a call from Taehyung, saying his parents were on their way. Hearing that, I immediately jumped out of bed and changed into some shorts and a hoodie. I came up to their door, but turned my head as Taehyung answered the door. A car was coming down the street, and Taehyung quickly pulled me inside by my wrist. Stumbling inside, we walked to the living room where the other guys were. Jimin and Hoseok were playing video games while the others cheered and bet on a player. I'm guessing he hadn't told them about his parents, even though they questioned him about it before. "Guys, we need to talk," Taehyung said blocking the TV screen. The boys paused and set all their attention on Taehyung as I stood off to the side. "I know Jin told you about those people who called asking to talk to me. Those people were my parents and they're probably outside right now to get me."

          "Why are you telling us now? Don't you need to hide or something," Jungkook raised his voice, feeling angry but probably sad as well. Taehyung shook his head and the doorbell rang. Taehyung looked at me like he needed permission, and I nodded and he walked to the front door. I followed behind him, along with his friends.

          "Taehyung-ah, oh my-" the woman said, coming to him and wrapping her arms around him. He just stood there and looked at who I assumed to be his father. "You're so grown up, and you look so handsome and healthy," she murmurred, tearing up a little, then she grabbed his hands. "Okay, let's go."

          My hand rested on Taehyung's shoulder; I was pulling him back inside, although he probably did most of the work himself. "I'm not going. I'm an adult and I decide where I should live. I want to stay here; I need to stay here," he said, pushing his mother's hands off of his. "Are you even sick," he said looking at his dad. He shook his head in reply. "Then you don't need me to come home."

          "Son, we really need you to come with us. There's someone you need to see," his father spoke, grabbing for his arm, but Taehyung stepped back.

          "Then bring them up here," he replied, crossing his arms. His father sighed and ran back to the car. He helped a boy out of the car. Taehyung suddenly stopped moving, even breathing. I tried to look at his face, but all I could see was that his eyes were becoming watery. He suddenly ran out to the boy and hugged him. I could hear him sobbing from here. Who could that be?

          "So you all have been taking care of my son," his mother faced us, the boys nodded, but I didn't. "And who you are, girl?" I introduced myself, and she smiled, but it didn't look very sincere. "Are you dating my son, or any of these guys? Or maybe even all of them?"

          "No ma'am, I'm not dating anyone. What do you mean 'maybe even all of them,'" I replied, feeling a bit offended. I'm not some that these boys hired for their entertainment.

           "Well, from how you're dressed and your hair, it looks like you've been doing a little more than just sleeping, if you get what I mean. I'm glad you're not dating my Taehyung. He could do much better," she answered, looking me up and down. I had no idea how this woman was sweet, kind Taehyung's mother. She has no idea who I am and she's judging me already. 

          "Excuse me? I just woke up from my house across the street," I said pointing to my house, "Taehyung was the one who wanted me here, and I was still asleep when he called."

         "Well I'm his mother and I don't want you here," she said. I've never been much of the girl type; fighting with my words, I mean. I would get right up in other's faces if I felt the need, and right now I did. She looked me dead in the eye and smirked, like she was proud of what she said. I walked past her, pushing her shoulder as I sauntered over to Taehyung. I looked back at the other boys, who looked angry and also terrified of the woman before them, or maybe even me. Looking back at Taehyung, he looked relieved. I didn't want to ask Taehyung who the person was so I just stood close by to hear what they were talking about.

          "It's so good to see you, hyung. I wasn't sure if you'd ever make it out of that place," the boy said. That's his brother? The one that was sick? Taehyung couldn't reply, only wanting to hug his brother again. Finally he stepped back and wiped his tears.

          "Why did you only take Chang Hyun with you," Taehyung asked, looking at his father.

          "At the time, Chang Hyun was our number one priority. You still meant the world to us, but he needed more attention, and we could only afford to give one of you our attention. We had to choose Chang Hyun otherwise the orphanage probably would have let him die and suffer because they weren't responsible for him; we were. One day, we came back and asked the people working at the orphanage if we could have Chang Hyun back. They asked us about you and we told them why we couldn't take you with us. They said they'd take care of you, but I guess they didn't. We're hoping you'll understand, Taehyung," his father answered, trying his best to choke out those words without crying. Tears were building up in his eyes, but he refused to let them fall, but, from the look in his eyes, they didn't look sincere.

          "I don't think I will ever understand, and I don't think I want to. I'm happy to see you're alive, Chang Hyun, and well, but I'm staying here. Here, at home, I have everything I need. If I go with you and my mother, I'd be miserable." Taehyung turned to his brother, who was crying. "Chang Hyun, I'm so happy to finally know you're okay, but after what these people did to me, to us, I can't go back with them. You understand right?" Chang Hyun nodded, but still sobbing. He cried like he felt the exact same; not wanting to go back with his parents. Their mother walked over, stepping in front of me. I rolled my eyes and stepped over to the side, where the rest of the guys were standing too. Hoseok and Jimin grabbed my arms in comfort.

          "Taehyung, you must come with us, we need you at home," his father pleaded.

          "Why would you need me at home? To clean up after you? To do your chores for you? To do everything you're supposed to be doing?"

          "Hyung, I'm still sick. They need you to babysit me while they're gone," Chang Hyun spoke up with a stern voice. Taehyung was surprised and looked at both of his parents.

          "And where are they going?"

          "We're going to the states on vacation, but the doctors aren't allowing Chang Hyun to go with us. If you come home, we'll give you everything you've ever wanted, Taehyung. Isn't that what you want," his mother said, placing her hand on Taehyung's arm. He backed away, standing beside Jimin and I.

          "I love Chang Hyun, and I always will, but it's quite selfish of you to be leaving for a vacation without your sick son, leaving your other son, that you abandoned, to watch after him."

          "And it's quite selfish of you to want to stay here rather than be with your baby brother, who loves you so dearly. Now, get it in the car," his mother said, with a sharp tone, pulling his arm. Taehyung removed his arm from her grasp and looked at Chang Hyun. I could tell by Chang Hyun's look that he wanted Taehyung to get in, or for Taehyung to grab him and pull him to the side with us, but I wasn't sure if his wish would come true.

          "How long are you going to be in the states," Taehyung asked, looking at the ground. He's really thinking about leaving?

          "A week. I'm glad you see it our way, son," his father answered. Taehyung nodded and went inside his house, being followed by myself and the rest of Bangtan Boys.

          Are they really telling the truth? I don't buy anything they've said so far.