Twenty Six

Breaths and Pulses

 

          Pills, pills, and more pills. The more I take, my pain worsens as it wears off. I've stopped taking them, but I'm practically bedridden from the pain. Taehyung has been taking care of me and skipping practice, but tomorrow is his big day. I've asked him to leave, but he won't since this was the first time we actually spent time together in about a month. "Not until you have someone come look after you. I'll call your doctor if I have to. I'm not going to leave you all by yourself when you can't even stand," he says as he feeds me. I roll my eyes and accept my food. Side effect one: depression; it's hitting me hard. I want to pry this tube from my nose and just let life go on, whatever happens, happens, but a part of me tells me not to. "I don't expect you to be there at the concert tomorrow, but I really want you there," he whispered, expressing his disappointment. I smiled and patted his head. That's why I'm not tearing myself away from the thing that keeps me breathing: Taehyung.

 


 

         The next morning, I felt much better. The pills side effects had worn off and the pain was subsiding. Still carrying around this oxygen tank, I drove over to the Bangtan studio where the boys were practicing. I opened the studio room slowly and Taehyung was the first to notice me. He ran over to me, arms open then squeezing around my small torso. Taking my hand off the handle of my cart, I wrapped my arms around Taehyung's waist, feeling the sweat underneath his shirt but, right now, it didn't bother me. The rest of the boys surrounded us, shouting my name excitedly. After greeting them for the first time in almost a month, they pulled me to the couch to watch their new song. I was impressed by how quickly they finished the song, and it was awesome. They performed their whole show for tonight, and I'm praying that I'll be in the same condition I am in right now for the concert. On their own, they went out and picked some more outfits for their songs. Everything is ready for tonight, and I'm excited for them. Their big night has finally come.

          I watched them rehearse for another two hours, which went extremely well. Namjoon informed us that we needed to go to stage rehearsal and began to pack their clothing and other things for their performance. As the boys loaded up the van, Taehyung lifted me up into the car, next to his seat, which he claimed he would defend for his life. After putting the last bag of clothes in the back, Suga rushed to sit next to me, trying to beat Taehyung to his seat. "Hyung, no! You can't do this to me," he shouted, pulling Suga out from the seat. I laugh while watching the two brawl, but eventually Taehyung won. "I told you: I would defend it with my life," Taehyung said as he buckled his seatbelt.

          The ride was a lot longer than expected, but it was nice. Taehyung and I caught up with each other, and of course he needed to know about my health. "Don't worry about me. You need to focus on your performance; I'll be fine," I told him. I appreciate his concern but I want him to focus on the performance. He slapped my hand with a pout on his face, which I couldn't help but kiss. Earning disgust noises from the others, I pulled away then leaning my head on Taehyung's shoulder.

 


 

         As we pulled into the parking lot of concert building, I noticed many fans were already lined up at the front with hours of waiting ahead of them. Driving past the crowd, Jin made his way to the employee parking lot where we saw a large tour bus parked. Jin pulled into an empty spot close to the bus. We exited the van and began to unload our things. Many employees came to help us carry our stuff to the boys' dressing room. Namjoon looked around at his friends, with an impressed look on his face. On the walk to our room, Jimin rambled on and on about how much he wanted to meet Girl's Day. Jungkook finally spoke up and told him to be quiet, earning whines from Jimin.

          The head director of the concert came to our room after we were all settled in to tell us dress rehearsal was in 10 minutes, and we'd go through the whole show. Hoseok and Jimin fanboyed over the fact that they would be seeing Girl's Day live and in person, then immediately getting back to getting ready. Several stylists had come in with the director to apply makeup and style hair. Taehyung was one of the first to finish and came to me when he was done. "You're going to be the front row right, and we'll clearly hear your cheers for us," he asked with raised eyebrows. I nodded happily and proudly.

          The boys lined up backstage and I hugged each one, wishing them luck, before getting a seat in the front row. I watched the entire rehearsal for the boys, and they were perfect despite their nervousness. Everything was on point, and their costume change was under two minutes. Unknowingly, I cheered for the boys as they finished their last song. Realizing I was the only one cheering, I slowly lowered my voice, making the boys laugh as they exited the stage. I didn't bother to stay to watch Girl's Day rehearse, but, from what I could hear, they were doing great. I knocked before entering the boys dressing room. Jin had opened the door and let me through, giving me a smile. As I passed by him, I looked forward, noticing a . I looked around for Taehyung, but didn't see him. Then I realized that was his. I silently squeaked and turned around to see Jungkook giggling madly, and Jimin coming toward me. His fingers poked my sides and I violently slapped them away. "Aww she's shy," he cooed as he walked away, laughing. Shaking my head, I turned back around, seeing that Taehyung was now fully clothed.

          "I just came in to say you guys did great, except for Jimin because he's a jerk," I said, coming to hug Taehyung, then glaring at Jimin as I spoke of him. Taehyung wrapped his strong, sweaty arms around my torso and stuck his tongue out at Jimin, who was complaining about how mean I am.

          "I was the best, right," Taehyung asked, looking down at me. I nodded my head with a huge smile on my face.

          "I couldn't take my eyes off of you," I whispered, then rose up on my toes to peck his lips. Taehyung then forced Hoseok and Suga to get off the couch so I could sit. Getting comfortable, I leaned my head on his shoulder as we watched a movie off of his phone to pass time. "Are you nervous," I asked, looking up at Taehyung.

          "No, since you'll be there, I have nothing to worry about."