Twelve

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          Most nights, Taehyung texted me, keeping me in the loop with the progress of getting their rehearsals done. He said they've been doing really well and they might be ready earlier than our final practice date. Sooner or later, our conversation of the Bangtan Boys ended, so Taehyung changed the subject.'So how about I come over and we watch that movie you suggested? I bought it the other day! c:' 

 

          'Sure, I can make dinner if it gets too late(:' I replied back. A few minutes later, Taehyung showed up at my door with the movie and a few snacks. Although he was still wearing his practice clothes, he looked like he was ready to go to a movie; handsome and cute. On the other hand, I stood in front of him with no make up on, some shorts, a large t-shirt, and my hair in a messy bun; like I was ready for bed. "Why didn't you change clothes? I would've tried to look better if I had known," I said, stepping to the side to let him inside.

 

          "I don't mind, we're just watching a movie. Besides, I think you look cute," Taehyung replied, playing with my messy hair. I laughed and took the movie from him while he popped some butter popcorn. "So your appointment is tomorrow?"

 

          "Oh, yeah it is. At 1:30, why?" I sat down on the couch after putting the DVD in the machine on the TV stand. Taehyung sat down next to me and handed the bowl of popcorn to me.

 

          "Do you want someone to go with you? For moral support I mean." Taehyung looked at me for a split second before turning away to face the television.

 

          "Don't you have practice tomorrow?"

 

          "We're taking tomorrow off to run errands. So how about it? Can I go?"

 

          "I guess you can, but it's not going to be fun to watch." Taehyung smiled, giving me a thumbs up. I returned the smile then turned to face the TV, which was already playing the movie. As we watched, we were silent, only small giggles filled the room when something funny occured in the movie. The silence between us was awkward, despite the background noise of the movie. I felt like we should be talking; talking about the weird things in the film or how his practice went today. I kept quiet and tried to focus on the movie, but it was too tiring. Rain was a great actor, but he couldn't cure my exhaustion. Several times Taehyung had to shake me awake. "Sorry, I don't know why I'm so exhausted," I said after yawning.

 

          "If you're too tired, we can watch this tomorrow after your check up," Taehyung suggested. I shook my head and watched the movie. Although it was probably annoying, I had to move around to keep myself awake. Somehow I ended moving closer to Taehyung, so I tried to move back to my original spot. Taehyung placed his hand on my upper arm and turned his head, making me tense up.

 

          "You're fine right there, it's almost over anyway," he said. After trying to relax my arm, I arranged my position to be more comfortable. I tried not to move the rest of the movie, which was difficult. I decided I'd put the empty popcorn bowl in the dishwasher since I knew how it ended anyway. Looking at the time, I started to make some dinner for Taehyung and I. Usually I eat Italian food on Wednesdays, so I stuck with my usual plan and decided to make pasta. After the movie ended, Taehyung came into the kitchen to help out.

 

          "I liked the movie, but it was a little weird," Taehyung said, and I agreed with him. He was walking around the kitchen, trying to find ingredients we wanted to add, until he came across something else. "_____, you forgot your apron," Taehyung said while removing it from the hook it stays on.

 

          "Oh come on, it's just spaghetti," I replied while stirring the pasta in the pot. Suddenly, the apron was brought over my head, and Taehyung was tying it behind me. He giggled at his action, but I ignored him although I was blushing slightly. I continued what I was doing while he was getting out the plates and silverware. Then music was being played. I turned around and saw Taehyung rummaging around for something in the living room, which I assumed to be speakers. "Speakers are in my art studio," I shouted. He smiled widely and ran in the direction of the studio. He turned the volume up; he played Taeyang's newest album 'Rise.' "This is my favorite album!"

 

          "Mine too," Taehyung yelled back. Our dinner was finally done so I put some on both plates he had set out. I grabbed the sauce and put a little on both. With the plates, I walked to the studio where Taehyung was so we could eat. He sat in the middle of the room and I placed his plate in front of him, and I sat across from him. "Oh thank you, it looks good."

 

          "Thank you, I try," I replied. "Taehyungie, why didn't you invite the others to join us for the movie?"

 

          "I didn't want to," he answered. "I spend enough time with them, I need a break sometimes." He chuckled a little but he also had a sad tone to his voice. I nodded, but I could tell like this was just a way to get away from his friends. "But I thought it'd be fun with just us," he said again, then taking in a mouthful of his food. I laughed as he splattered sauce on the side of his face. I leaned over to wipe it from his face, and he froze. I wiped it slowly, making sure I got it all, but also sneaking a look in his eyes. Acting like nothing just happened, I sat back in my spot, finishing my food while jamming out to Taeyang. Eventually Taehyung joined me in singing of Taeyang's album. I had to stop every now and then, feeling the air being out of my lungs. This feeling felt much worse than ever before. By this point, I was coughing, and usually that doesn't happen after such little time. Taehyung looked at me with concern. "Are you okay, do you need some water," he asked. I shook my head, letting out my last cough. Then the only sound in the room was Taeyang's sweet sounding, singing voice.

 

          "Maybe you should head on home, it's getting late," I said after a while.

 

          "Are you sure you don't want me to stay? Just in case you need me," he asked. I smiled at him and shook my head. I don't want him to have to help me while I'm coughing or hyperventilating or whatever else might happen. It's definitely not his job to take care of me, and I don't want him to get worried. We took our time walking to the front door, because neither one of us wanted this night to end. I reached for the doorknob, but Taehyung grabbed my hand before I could touch it. I looked at him but his face was blank, like he forgot what he was doing. He quickly leaned in, stopping at my face, then moved to the right a little to kiss my cheek. He sprinted across the street to his house, while I stood dumbfounded. I slowly closed the door, then walked to my room to go to sleep.

 

          I thought of all the things I should've done, or what I wanted to anyway. I wanted to grab his arm before he took off, and bring him back in for a real kiss, or a hug at least. One that would last longer than half a second. One that I would remember. But what am I thinking? I shouldn't. I can't get attached to him. By that, I mean I can't like him. Hopefully it's not too late to say that's true. That I haven't developed any feelings for him.