Thirteen

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          I didn't fall asleep until almost two in the morning, due to my endless cough. My inhaler was used about every fifteen minutes, but the coughing eventually died down around one thirty. I had no idea what was going on with me. All I knew was that it hurt more than anything I've ever experienced with my illness. This can't be good.

          I woke up around nine. It wasn't the brightest morning when I looked out the window. The rain was crashing to the ground, loud enough to wake me up. I ate my breakfast and continued with my usual morning routine. The storm continued on as I changed clothes, appropriate for my appointment. A t-shirt, skinny jeans and red converse shoes. Soon the storm caused a power outage. I walked around the house with my little battery-powered lantern which was the only thing I had for situations like this. I wanted to start a new art piece, but I wasn't really in the mood today. Especially with it being dark and the gloomy feeling from the weather also took part. I walked back to my room, laid down in my bed and checked my phone. There were no messages or calls, so I thought I might call Namjoon to ask if they need any help with their errands. "Ahh, no but you're welcome to come hang out, but could you bring a few flashlights" he said. After hanging up, I searched for some flashlights and my lantern and walked across the street to their home. The door was partially opened so I pushed it open and found Jin organizing the shoes at the door. He cleared a path for me to walk by and said, "Taehyungie is on bathroom duty."

          "Why do you think I came here to see Taehyung," I asked, hoping Taehyung didn't tell them about our awkward kiss.

          "He said he was going with you somewhere later, so I just assumed-"

          "Oh no, I came to help out, but Namjoon said I should just hang out instead." Jin nodded and I continued to the living room. Jimin was vacuuming the floor, with a flashlight inbetween his teeth, while Hoseok was harshly scrubbing the brown tiled kitchen floor with a small lantern beside him. "Are you sure you guys don't need any help," I asked Namjoon as he turned around from washing the dishes. He nodded as he put some clean dishes off to the side. I jumped around Hoseok to find the other boys. Suga and Jungkook were cleaning the bedrooms and making the beds, using the small amount of light from outside as their source. Walking to the end of a hallway, I see Taehyung cleaning the shower wall. He noticed my lantern and laughed looking at his pink gloves and floral rag.

          "Manly men wear pink, okay," he said. I shrugged it off, somewhat agreeing, but not really. Pink is just a color anyways. A beep went off in a small room next to the bathroom. Taehyung jumped out of the shower and walked towards the area where the beeping came from. "I'm also on laundry duty," he shouted.

          "What did you do to deserve this punishment, Taehyungie," I asked.

          "I missed our traditional group dinner," he said laughing. "The food here isn't that great anyways," Taehyung shouted, making sure the other guys heard him, and in reply, they argued with his statement. His friends came to his area and playingly debated with him. Taehyung laughed then received a hit on the back of the head from Jin; the executive chef of the household. The boys then separated back to their stations.

          About thirty minutes later, Hoseok gloated about how he was finished with his chore, along side Jungkook and Suga. "Then you guys can go grocery shopping," Jimin said excitedly, probably from the thought of food.

          "Who's paying? Not it," Hoseok shouted then tapping his nose, finalizing that he will not be spending any money. Jungkook was next; Suga groaned and went to his room to get his wallet. The three boys left and walked to the small store a few blocks away from here. Bored from the lack of conversation, I helped out by tidying up their shelves around their work area.

          About an hour later, Jin made us all lunch, excluding the boys who were out shopping. I tried to eat as much of the sandwich as I could, but I felt like I couldn't hold it down, or that it wouldn't go past my throat. I ate the last piece but I could feel a burning in my chest and lungs. I asked for a glass of water, which Taehyung prepared for me. I gulped down the entire glass in one shot, which stopped the burning in my chest a few minutes later. I checked my phone, and it was almost one o'clock. "Taehyungie, if you still want to go with me, we better get going," I said as he passed by me. He nodded and we walked to the door, both putting on our shoes. Taehyung waved back to his friends, as did I. The rain still hadn't stopped and I forgot my umbrella in my room. Taehyung put his leather jacket over my head, leaving himself in the rain. I smiled and tried to move closer to him so he could get under the jacket as well, but I wasn't sure if he did or not. We crossed the street as quickly as we could. A sharp pain shot through my chest and I became breathless. I rushed inside to get my inhaler, hoping it might make the pain go away, but it didn't. After I caught my breath, I gathered everything I needed, including my umbrella, and headed off to my appointment, trying to endure the pain.

 

          "Hello, _____, how are you today," my regular nurse greeted.

          "I'm okay," I replied in a monotone voice, sitting on the table. She took out the regular tools needed for any normal check up: a stethoscope, thermometer, otoscope etc. She said my temperature was a little high, and my breathing sounded different, almost scruffy sounding.

          "I'm going to check your salt levels. Do you remember this when we diagnosed you?" I nodded and held out my arm where they had done it several years ago. They call this the 'sweat test.' The nurse applied a chemical to my skin, which produces sweat on that part of the skin. Then they can gather the information of your salt levels from the results. I don't know much about it, or why they would need to do the test again, but I went along with it. "Well, may I ask who your friend is, perhaps a boyfriend?" She then looked up from what she was doing on my arm and wiggled her eyebrows.

          "Oh, no, he's just a friend. His name is Taehyung. He's my neighbor; we met when I was released a few weeks ago," I answered, feeling a bit embarassed by her remark and her facial expressions.

          "Well that's too bad, he's quite handsome," she said, peeking at a smiling Taehyung, then finishing up the test. As she turned away, I looked at Taehyung who was trying to hold in a laugh. "I'm going to go get doctor Jung, I'll be right back," she said and exited the room.

          "Do you agree with her," Taehyung asked, with a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes and smiled at him. I wasn't sure if I should answer his question or not, so I decided to leave my answer a mystery. If he wanted to know, he'd bother me about it anyway. "So was it weird that they did that test? I mean since she said that was what diagnosed you."

          "Yeah, a little. It brought back some memories from the day I was diagnosed, but I guess it makes sense to keep track of my salt levels if that's what diagnoses CF." Soon after our small conversation of how the sweat test felt, the doctor entered the room and looked through my files, not saying a word yet. She took out a few other tools, more advanced than the tools used before.

          "Have you been feelings any pain in your chest lately," she asked. I nodded slowly, recalling what happened earlier. "Well the results from sweat test show that your salt levels are high. So make sure you drink more water with a high potassium meal. That should rid some of the sodium in your body. Now I'm going to check your oxygen levels, and then we'll get an xray of your lungs." Doctor Jung then began the procedure of collecting blood from my arm. I squeezed my eyes shut as she jabbed the needle in my wrist, where my pulse was located. My blood filled the syringe and then she removed the needle. She helped me up from the table and walked over to the xray machine. Taking a look at my lungs, it looked the same as before, but I wasn't a doctor so I had no idea if it was a good or bad thing that we were looking at. "Alright, we'll call you back in a few days. In the meantime, remember to eat high potassium meals, try to exercise, but don't over work yourself. I'll see you soon, and young man, I hope you're taking good care of our little _____-ah here."

          "Oh we're not-"

          "I'll do my best, ma'am," he answered Doctor Jung with a polite bow. I was going to tell her we're not dating, but Taehyung stopped me. I looked up at Taehyung but he just smiled like he was proud of his answer. I led us out of the room and to my car. I was hoping Taehyung was kidding, but another part of me thought it was exactly what I wanted to hear.

          The rest of my day was spent with the Bangtan Boys, and they finished their errands and chores around four o'clock. I suggested that they go practice, but they all complained about how exhausted they were. Some of them wanted to watch a movie, while others wanted to sleep. I stayed for a movie, but I started feeling sick so I left at the end of the film. Taehyung walked me home, but he looked troubled. Then I remembered; tomorrow is Friday.

          His parents are coming for him tomorrow.