Sixteen

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Taehyung's POV

          The car ride to my parent's house was completely silent. My parents spoke to each other, but not to my brother or myself. Chang Hyun held his head up with his hand, arm leaning on the car door. He looked angry and sad, but I wasn't sure if it was because of me or my parents. I pulled out my phone and typed a message in a blank text. 'What's wrong? Why are you being so quiet?' I handed him the phone and he took it, texting back.

          'It's nothing, it's just a lot to take in,' he replied. I decided not to ask why, I want to ask him when I can speak to him. Speaking to him now would be weird, especially with my parents so close to us. "Well, boys, you've been reunited, make conversation! Taehyung, what have you been doing all these years," my mother said, turning around to face me. Now she cares, huh?

          "I've been living with my friends and producing music with them and creating choreography to our songs. I'm actually supposed to be competing in a competition with them next week. So I need to leave-"

          "Leave? Oh no, you can't. You said you'd stay with Chang Hyun!"

          "I will be here. He can go with me," I replied, looking at Chang Hyun, who seemed to have no interest in our conversation. The remainder of the ride was exactly how it was before; silent and awkward.

 

          An hour later, we reached a house, not the same one I used to live in, but close to it. It was much bigger than the one we used to live in. From the looks of it, it was expensive, so they must have solved their money problems. The yard was very green, like they spend a lot of time grooming it and making it look perfect. Bushes surrounded the front of the big, white building, which looked recently painted. "What do you think, Taehyung," my father asked with a big smile on his face, proud of his wealthy looking home. I just nodded, because I wasn't very impressed. Yes, it was a good looking house, but it wasn't enough to make me want to stay here. I don't care if they lived in a mansion, it's still the same people. "We even had your room decorated and furnished. We put some clothes in there as well." The car was parked, and I grabbed my bag from the back of the car and followed them inside. Modern furniture filled the room, which looked nice. Chang Hyun led me up stairs to my room, which reminded me of a nursery. The room was paint a light blue color. The furniture looked like it was meant for a child. Opening the closet, it was filled with mainly dress pants and shirts, like what my father and brother were wearing. I laughed at the sight of them; they were the complete opposite of what I usually wear. There were no jeans in any of the drawers or on the hangers, it was all what some people might call 'fancy clothes.' The clothes I had were a few sweatshirts, three pairs of jeans, and a long sleeve, plaid shirt, and a few shorts. If they expect me to wear the clothes they prepared for me, they might as well take them back to the store.

          "What do you think of your room," my mother said, entering the room with my father.

          "Did you just remake the nursery that Chang Hyun and I lived in," I answered with a laugh. They looked disappointed from my answer, but it was true. It looked quite similar to the nursery where I played with Chang Hyun.

          "Taehyung, have a seat, we want to talk to you about something," she said once again, lightly pushing me to the bed. "First, we want to know how you got out of the orphanage." I explained her the story of how my friends found me, and I climbed over the fence to join them without saying a word to any of the other kids or adults there. "What about that girl? Who is she to you?"

          "That girl's name is _____, and she's-" I paused, not knowing what _____ was to me. We weren't exactly friends, but we're not dating. There's a reason why I kissed her, but I wasn't sure what the feeling was or what made me want to kiss her. "I guess you could say I'm in the friend zone right now."

          "So you like her," my father asked, looking a bit angry that I'm showing feelings for everyone but them.

          "I don't know, why does it matter? My friends told me what you said to her," I said, looking at my mother. She looked like she had no idea what I was talking about. "Oh, don't play that card, you practically called her a . If you ever say anything like that to her again-"

          "I don't know what kind of lies your friends are telling you, but that's not what happened. In fact, they snapped at me first. I walked away because I was scared of what else they might say. Taehyung-ah, I would never judge someone before I got to know them." I knew she was lying, but I had no proof other than the fact I know my friends wouldn't lie to me. "They probably said those things so you'd change your mind about coming here."

          "Hyung, I think you should go back home," Chang Hyun spoke up, receiving evil looks from our parents. "They only told me about you a few weeks ago. This whole time I thought I was an only child. Like I said, I'm still sick, and they don't want me anymore. They're not leaving for a week. They're leaving for good."

          "Chang Hyun! No! We just wanted to reunite you two after all of these years. Is there something wrong with that?" I believe Chang Hyun, but if that's true, I can't leave him here.

          "Why now then," I asked, receiving confused looks from my mother. "You had thirteen years to reunite us, why did you decide to do it now? I only live an hour away from here, and it probably wasn't hard to find me." They couldn't give me an answer, so I started to collect my things.

          "Taehyung, please, just wait," my father pleaded, stopping my hands. "We won't leave, but we want you to live here with us. We can be a family again. It'll make Chang Hyun happy if you stay," he said.

          "Chang Hyun isn't happy here himself, I'd rather him pack his things and come with me." I looked at Chang Hyun, who shook his head.

          "Hyung, I have to stay here. The reason they wanted to reunite us now is because the doctors say I only have a few weeks to live, so our parents basically want you to watch me suffer until the end to make up for the time we lost together. They can deny it all the want, but they don't want to see me go, so they want me to spend my last few days with you, but I'm asking you not to do that. I'd rather not get close with my older brother as I'm so close to dying. If you stay, I won't speak to you, because it'll be to hard for me." Chang Hyun didn't look upset at all, although he is saying how hard this is for him. He looked annoyed rather than sad. Maybe it was the fact that he didn't have a choice. I looked at my parents and my mother was in tears. My parents left the room and Chang Hyun sat next to me on the bed. "I know you're wondering what happened after they took me out of the orphanage. Of course I don't remember, but we moved to this house when I was six because I always asked about the extra room we had; your room I guess. Every year after that, my cancer became more aggressive. Only recently I was told I have a few weeks left, and they finally told me about you. Hyung, I wish I could've gotten to know you, but now would be the worst time, that's why I'm asking you to leave. I don't want you there the day I die. I don't want anyone there, honestly, but I want to spare your feelings. You don't need to feel sad for me, because you shouldn't." Chang Hyun wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I was sad, but I understood where he was coming from. So I nodded and he left the room.

          A few minutes later, after I put my clothes in my bag, I climbed down the stairs. I heard my parents yelling at Chang Hyun, saying he was being ridiculous, so I walked in and they stopped shouting. "I'm ready to leave, if that's really what Chang Hyun wants," I said, earning a nod from him. I want to give him what he wants. Of course I want to be with my younger brother again, but he's the one leaving and he should finally have a choice. This is his choice. He chooses to be alone and I completely understand that. So I'll do what he wants.