Six

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          I woke up as the sun rose in my window, and for the first time in a long time, I felt genuinely happy. Was it because I was home? Was it because of the new friends I had made? I wasn’t really sure, but it sure felt good.

          I stretched out my stiff body and walked over to my bathroom to shower, brush my teeth, and apply some makeup. I try not to wear a lot, although some may disagree, but my aunt worked in cosmetology, specifically the makeup department. She showed me all the tricks of makeup, and she was the one to get me interested in it. It’s all about the brows and contouring, but today I just decided to go more natural. I curled my eyelashes and applied some mascara, then filling in my eyebrows lightly. Next was foundation, concealor and some blush. I reviewed my face one last time and went to pick out an outfit. It's been a while since I've had to do this routine, but it felt good to do it again. Today I'm going back to work and going to eat lunch with Soo Jin after my shift is over. I walked to my un-made bed and detached my phone from its charger that was laying on my night stand. Sitting next to my phone, with a few dust particles, sat a picture of my aunt and I. She usually paid for my dance classes, my clothes, makeup, school, and just about everything else I needed. She passed away about six months before I was diagnosed with CF. I’m glad she didn’t have to witness the fight I had with my parents and siblings, but I knew she was on my side anyway. I dust the frame off a little, grab my bag with my inhaler inside, and turn away before I spend too much time in the past.

          I walked into the garage and found my small, old and over-worked car. I grabbed the keys off of the shelf and started up the car. I backed out of my garage and saw Taehyung sitting in his driveway in my rearview mirror. I parked the car on the side of the road, and went to go talk to him. He smiled widely and waved as he stood up. I pushed back some strands of hair that were flying in my face from the wind. “Taehyung-shii, what’re you doing up so early,” I questioned, bundling up from the cold wind.

          “I could ask you the same thing. I couldn’t sleep much last night. I heard some...unpleasant news and I guess it kept me up all night,” he replied. Whatever it was, he's still upset about it, so I better not ask. He looked down at the ground and kicked some pebbles around. I noticed he was still in his pajamas, and I laughed a bit, making him look up. “What?”

          “Your pajamas. They look like something a five year old would wear,” I say, pulling at his Batman cape. Taehyung tried to look at his back but realized he couldn't after spinning in a few circles. I noticed his peachy cheeks were turning red, so I thought I'd answer his question. "Well I'm going to work. Tell the guys we can hang out sometime today, around three maybe?" Taehyung looked up with a cute smile and nodded.

          "Where do you work," he asked curiously.

          "I work at the makeup store, hence the makeup I'm wearing. Can't work at a makeup store and not wear any."

          "Well that'd be kind of awkward if I went and visited you today, wouldn't it," he said quietly, but loud enough for me to hear him.

​          "If you want to come visit you can, we have men come in all the time for shaving cream and things like that." Taehyung nodded and started to play with his cape. I laughed and sat down on the cold ground and watched the clouds roll in the sky, trying to spend more time with this goofball. Sooner or later, when he finished playing by himself, Taehyung sat next to me.

         "What time does your shift start," Taehyung questioned.

​          "At 8:30," I replied.

​          "Then why are you up so early?"

​          "I wanted to drive around. Probably go walk around a park somewhere. I just want to be outside." Taehyung stayed silent for a while as I shivered in place. A few seconds later he wrapped his cape around my shoulders. I don't know if he intentionally did this, but he kept his arm around my shoulder. I looked up at him, who was red in the cheeks and trying to look everywhere but me. Then we heard a loud gag from behind and turned around to see Jimin and Jungkook wiggling their eyebrows at us. I laughed and stood up with Taehyung's help. I handed him his black cape and waved at the other boys standing at the door. "I should probably go, hopefully I'll see you later," I said. He nodded and wanted a hug so I accepted and hugged him back, my ear coming just below his chin. I saw Jimin whistle from the door and Jungkook giving a thumbs up. I rolled my eyes playfully and walked back to my car. I reached for the door handle but it was grasped by another hand. I looked up and saw Taehyung smiling. I laughed as he bowed and motioned for me to enter my car. He shut my door, waved again and ran back to his friends. I smiled and laughed to myself. I don't know why he insists on helping me all the time, but it's cute. He's like a little butler.

​          I started up my car and drove to the closest park I could think of. By now, it was almost seven-thirty, so there was plenty of time to just walk around and take in everything. The only thing about that is I get breathless easily. As much as it hurts, I have to try it. I want to walk and feel free to walk on. As sappy as it is, it's true. No one really understands how I feel until they're stuck somewhere for a while and there's no escape. I'm not just talking about being in a hospital room, but not being able to do what I love; perform. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and played my 'dance' playlsit. I put it on shuffle as I walked around the running trail in the park. A concert of past routines flow through my head, and, with no intention, I began to dance with the music. Becoming breathless, I stopped. I shook my head and stopped the music. I want to dance and be able to breathe through it. I just have no idea if I ever will be able to do it. There's no cure for this. There's no way to escape it. I'm stuck with it. I can work with it, or let it beat me. I haven't decided yet.

​          I walked back to my car and started it up right away. I the air conditioner on full blast to cool off. I placed my arms on the steering wheel, with my head on top. This just .

​          After several minutes of just breathing, I buckled my seatbelt and checked the time. I had about fifteen minutes to get to work, so I drive off. My job is a blessing and a curse. I love working with my co-workers, but it's a lot of exercise, which makes the day harder.

​          I walked through the doors, greeted by the manager, who was a close friend of my aunt's. "Oh, _____, you're back. How is everything," she asked.

​          "I'm doing fine, is there anything you need me to put on the shelves?"

​          "Oh no, honey, we got it all, let's open up shop and start the day," she said, smiling and gesturing to the door. I walked over and turned the 'closed' sign to 'open.'

​          I fixed up some of the messy-looking shelves, cleaned the floor, and checked off some stock boxes in the back. I felt like I have been running for an hour straight. I took out my inhaler and in. Once I caught my breath, I walked to the front of the store, where Taehyung entered. I wasn't sure if he was alone, but he seemed hesitant to walk in. One of my co-workers walked up to him and asked if he needed any help. I knew he could see me in the corner of his eye, so he rejected their offer and slowly stepped over to me as they left. "Hello, ma'am, I was wondering if you have enough shaving cream for seven men," Taehyung asked politely.

          I smiled a little and walked over a few aisles to the men's section. "This is our men's section, the facial products are at the end of the aisle on the right side." Taehyung didn't look where I was pointing, but at me. I looked away and waited for him to go grab what he needed.

​          "I didn't come for shaving cream, _____, I wanted to ask you something," Taehyung stated, seriously. I looked around for the manager or other co-workers so I wouldn't get in trouble for "dilly-dallying" on the job. I nodded at him, telling him to continue. "When you come home after your shift, will you go with me to dinner...uhm...just us? If you're uncomfortable with it-"

​          "I'd love to, pick me up at six?"

​          "I-I didn't think that'd be so easy. I'll see you at six. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to grab some things before I leave." Taehyung gave me a wink and a wide smile. I walked over to the register to run his items for him. He came back with a few items and I ran typed in the prices and gave him his total. Taehyung handed me extra than what he owed and left before I could give him his change. I smiled and put the money back in the register.

​          After Taehyung's visit, my day seemed to fly by. It was time for my lunch break and I clocked out of my shift as soon as the clock struck noon. I helped with a few last minute things before taking off for the day. "See you tomorrow Ms. Jung," I shouted with a wave. She smiled and waved back, my cue to leave. I almost ran to my car, hoping I wouldn't be late to join Soo Jin for lunch. Although I was panting, I needed to hurry, the hospital is about a twenty mintue drive, and there's a lot of traffic.

​          By the time I was parked in the hospital visiting area, lunch was almost over. I hurried over to the cafeteria and found Soo Jin finishing the last few bites of her food at our table. I sat down and caught my breath before apologizing. "I'm sorry I'm late, there was a lot of traffic."

         "It's okay, I know you have things to do. Why didn't you come by yesterday," she asked, playing with her food and avoiding my eyes.

​          "I met some new neighbors and they wanted to treat me for my release. I'm really sorry, Soo Jin. I should've called yesterday." I felt horrible. I didn't even think to call her yesterday. I was having so much fun with the guys. I was distracted, but I still came today, although I'm late.

​          "It's fine, but I better get back to my room. They want to go over the results of some tests," Soo Jin stood up from her chair and turned away before giving me a second look.

​          "I'll see you later, Soo Jin. Call me and tell me how it goes, okay?" She looked over her shoulder with the saddest look in her eyes and continued walking. I could feel my heart rip a little, right in its core, where it hurt the most. I don't want her to feel like I have no time for her. The boys are just excited to meet me, they want to get to know me, and I respect that, but I'm the one Soo Jin sees everyday. She counts on me to be there for her. Her little sister can't come and see her everyday; Soo Jin needs my attention. I should've took that into consideration yesterday, even if was distracted. I left our table, feeling empty. I had to get on with my day.

​          I walked back to my car and rested for a while. I might have fallen asleep, or maybe I was day dreaming, but it was 1:38 now. I don't have enough money to go shopping for food or anything. I might as well go home and take a nap for now.

 

​          I woke up from my nap by several ringings of my doorbell. I pushed the blankets off of me and opened the door tiredly. I didn't see who it was, busy rubbing my eyes, but I guessed it was Taehyung and his friends. I heard a few voices travelling past me, male voices. I didn't bother I say anything to them, but just went back to my bed and covered myself with the bedspread. Several of the guys came in and tried to pry the covers from me, and eventually I gave up. "_____, get up we need your help!!" I slowly sat up straight on my bed and saw Taehyung sitting on the edge and Hoseok, Jimin, and Namjoon huddled around me. "We need help for our next gig! Can you pick out our best performances for our gig next month," Jimin shouted.

​          In the free space I had, the boys planned their performance for a few hours and it was about 5:30. Taehyung snuck out to change clothes, and I let the guys continue their planning while I got ready for dinner. I don't know where he's taking us, but I decided to wear a casual dress with sandals, just in case it was fanicer than Burger King. I came out of my room, and the boys turned around and suddenly stopped talking. "What, what's wrong," I asked. "Is there a bug!? Oh my goodness, please-"

​          "No, _____, you just look really amazing," Jin stated. I calmed down and patted my dress after my bug fear-attack. "Why are you all doll-ed up?"

​          "I'm going out to dinner. Did he not tell you?"

​          "Well Taehyung mentioned he was going to dinner, but not with you," Jungkook answered, wiggling his eyebrows at his friends. Just as Jimin finished ooh-ing and ahh-ing with Hoseok, Taehyung walked in with a nice button-up shirt and dress pants. Must be nicer than Burger King. Taehyung smiled and looked to the ground as his friends chanted for him. He spun around, giving a few poses of his outfit, slowly getting closer to me. Once he reached me, he took my hand and spun me around, making my dress twirl with the wind current.

​          "Taehyung, you sly fox," Suga shouted while pointing at Taehyung. I laughed along with Taehyung, who was standing directly in front of me. I could smell his light, sweet cologne. I could tell he worked hard grooming his hair from it's sheer look.

​          "Are you ready," he said holding out his hand. I nodded and took his hand. Jin tossed him the keys to their car and he caught them with his free hand.

​          "Bring home some food, would'ya?!" Taehyung turned around and stuck out his tongue. "Oh, _____, we'll leave since you won't be here," Namjoon said.

​          "Oh, no it's fine. We'll be back later anyway. See you guys soon," I replied with a wave. Taehyung let me exit first and shut the door behind himself.

​          I wonder why he wanted to go out to dinner, just the two of us...?