Four

Breaths and Pulses

 

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          "Since there's finally an even number, let's split up in partners and buy _____ something. Like a welcome home gift," Suga announced excitedly. The rest of the boys seemed oh-so excited to do this as well, almost like they planned this ahead of time.

​          "Guys, really, I'm home more often than you think. I don't need a welcome home gift, but thank you anyway."
 
​          "Well then think of it as a friendship gift!" I sighed and tried to reject, but they refuse to let me.
 
​          "I should be _____'s partner, I've known her the longest," Hoseok shouted, raising his hand. The others protested and all began shouting who wanted to be my partner. Arms were flying up everywhere; they're shouts were echoed under the small covering above us. People were starting to stare at us like we were crazy.
 
​          "Just play rock paper scissors," I interrupted the argument (and the staring of strangers) and the guys agreed to end it with my suggestion. After several rounds, Taehyung ended up winning the battle. Of course it had to be Taehyung. Not that I'm complaining, but this made me a little nervous. He was the most intriguing of them all yet also a little intimidating. 
 
​          "Well I guess the rest of us have to pair up with the usual," Namjoon said, grabbing Jungkook.
 
​          "Wait, what will I be doing then if you all are buying for me?"
 
​          "Order Taehyung around," Jimin shouted running off with his partner, Hoseok. I looked over at Taehyung, who was acting like he was distracted. I looked back to where the guys were, but they had all disappeared. I can't order this cute boy around like my servant. I feel like I can barely talk to him at all as it is.
 
​          "Well, you heard him, order me around," Taehyung said jokingly. We turned around to head towards the stores. I saw several things I'd come back for myself. I didn't want to be greedy and say how much I loved everything. Distracted by all the nice jewelry, I almost ran into someone. Taehyung pulled me to his side and smiled. "You're on of those 'oohh-sparkly' girls, aren't you?" I giggled and nodded embarrassingly. He noticed I couldn't keep my eyes off of that jewelry store. He grabbed my hand and dragged me inside. A familiar feeling of overwhelming sparkle came over me. I was so amazed by all of the shimmering jewels. I heard Taehyung laugh, and it snapped me out of my daze. "Pick out something you like, and I'll buy it for you, and no, it can't be the whole store."
 
​          "You pick something out for me. The guys have to pick something they think I'd like, so you have to also," I replied crossing my arms mischievously. He jokingly rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand, pulling me around with him.
 
​          "Better hold on so you don't get left behind in a daze," he said. My eyes darted to his hand holding mine as we walked. I've never had so much physical contact with a boy in my life. This is so weird, but I didn't protest. Maybe because I was enjoying it. Or maybe the sparkles were getting to my head.
 
​          Taehyung picked up a few necklaces and held them up. With a few of them, he put them on me to see what they looked like. I tried not to look at the ones he was picking; I wanted to be surprised, so I watched him instead. The faces he made while he recorded his observations were absolutely adorable. A some-what duck face, with squinted eyes, some with a cute grin. A few tons of sparkle later, Taehyung said he found the perfect necklace and went to buy it. Once he paid for it, he twirled his finger in one spot, telling me to turn around. I turned to face a mirror, and he wrapped the necklace around my neck. I pulled my thin, brown hair to one side as he clipped the two sides of the necklace together. I tried not to look at the necklace until he finished clipping it, but I had to look. I was amazed by his choice. It was completely my style. Although I loved twinkling items, I still liked some design with it. It was a little lion head made of different colored gems. No, it wasn't Jared, but it was a cute, cheap necklace. Just like everything else I own.
 
​          "Do you like it," he asked. I turned back to face him and smiled widely.
 
​          "How did you know I liked cute things like this," I asked, still holding onto it.
 
​          "I don't know, maybe it's because you're cute," Taehyung said, then realizing what he had said. His eyes became wide, and his cheeks started to turn pink. As soon I began to feel my cheeks burn, I looked down. "Sorry, I didn't mean...never mind. Let's go get some lunch." I nodded and grabbed his arm. He was a bit surprised by this, but he continued exiting the store anyway. He's pretty cute himself.
          
​          We walked for a long time, and I could feel myself running out of breath. I started to feel dizzy and light-headed. I needed to sit down. I almost fell to the ground, but I caught myself on Taehyung's hand. He pulled me back up and asked me a question. I couldn't really hear him over my panting. He brought me over to a bench near an ice cream stand. I tried to feel around for my inhaler, which I usually have on me, but I don't at the moment. This is why I have an inhaler, for occasions like this. I must've forgotten it when we left. I mentally slapped myself, since I was too busy trying to breathe properly.
 
​          "_____, you'll be okay," Taehyung said calmly. He started to fan my face, and I breathed in the air flowing to me. Sooner or later, I started to begin breathing normally again. I don't know where he learned that trick, but it helped a lot. I stared at him as I continued catching my breath, although I probably look extremely stupid. This is more than embarrassing since we only just met. But it almost amazed me how he handled that so calmy. If I were in his shoes, I would've panicked and called for help.
 
​          "Where did you learn that from," I asked inbetween breaths.
 
​          "An old friend of mine had asthma, I didn't know if it would work, since you have something else. I just figured I should at least try it," he replied, smiling slightly, then moved to sit next to me. I smiled back and looked away from him. As embarrassing as it was, since I just met this cute guy, I was glad he was there. It probably wasn't the most attractive thing to watch, but he was calm. He understands that this could happen because of my condition. "Why didn't you tell me you needed to rest a while?"
 
​          "Honestly, I didn't think I really needed to sit. I felt fine, but I guess my lungs realized what was going on after a while. I was distracted, I guess," I replied. To be quite honest, he was my distraction. He was telling me some funny stories, and just being cool and sweet, I wasn't really thinking of myself. I just wanted to hear him talk. He probably even asked me if I wanted to sit, but I'm not sure. Taehyung laughed a little, and looked back at me.
 
​          "How about some ice cream," Taehyung asked. I felt a wide smile creep up on my face as I turned to him. He laughed and took my hand to lead me to the line. "So, why don't you tell me more about you? I feel like I've been talking about myself all day."
 
​          "Okay, well I live by myself, because my parents couldn't support me, or should I say wouldn't. Um...I started doing art in my first year of high school. I started with photography, then I went to painting, then drawing, and now just about everything. As for singing and dancing, I do it when I have my inhaler handy, but obviously that's not possible today. What else...I've never really had a lot of friends, but that's probably not a surprise, since I'm always stuck in my hospital room or my art studio. "
 
​          "Wait...why wouldn't your parents support you?"
​          
​          "They have always preferred my brothers over me. I was considered an 'accident.' When I came to the hospital for the first time, they said they want to help my brothers become successful. They told me they thought, because of my condition, I wouldn't be successful, then I told them I didn't want to hear it and that they should just leave if they feel that way. I haven't heard from them since. They care more about my successful, money-making brothers. But I'm doing just fine without them."
 
​          "Do you really mean that? If they came back to see you, what would you say to them?" I don't think I have ever been so conflicted in my life. He was right, but he was also wrong. When a couple decides to have children, they techniqually make an oath to never leave them. My parents, however, broke that oath. But he was right about me 'doing fine without them.' If they were here, I would probably have an easier life. Although they wouldn't exactly be fun to hang around or anything, but they would hopefully handle all the payments, but I would still help bring in money, probably by force anyway. My statement still stands though.
 
​          "I guess I would just ask them why they came back. If it was so easy for them to leave me in my condition, with no money, or supervision, why is it so hard for them to come back? I don't know...I'd be some-what happy, but not really."
 
​          "I can understand that, I guess. I'm sorry they left you though. Parents decide to have children, not birth and abandon them." I stared up at him and looked how upset he was. I was curious why, but I didn't want to ask him. I got a feeling like he really hates talking it; his parents.
 
​          We finally reached the front of the line and Taehyung ordered one large cup of cookie dough ice cream. He paid the older man and I grabbed two spoons and a few napkins from the side of the cart. We walked over to a empty, some-what clean table and began digging into our ice cream. A few times, he would try to smear it on my nose, but I only smeared it back in his face. Most of our ice cream was used that way, but it was still fun.
 
​          I really wanted to ask him about his parents, but I didn't want to spoil our fun. But something was still strange. I felt genuinely happy with him. Usually, even with Soo Jin, I pretend to be and just slap a smile on my face to contribute to my act. But Taehyung...he just changed that feeling. I don't constantly feel scared. I didn't think I could be so open with someone. It's a little weird since I've never had anyone besides Soo Jin, but it's nice. He's a good distraction from the things that haunt me everyday. 
 
​          "We should probably meet back up with the others," Taehyung said as he got up to throw away our trash. I followed him down the streets trying to stay close but not to close to make him uncomfortable. I'm excited to hang out with the other boys now. Maybe I can learn more about how they met.