Twenty Eight

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          The next morning, I woke up, leaning against Taehyung's chest as he flipped through channels on the TV. His right arm was wrapped around my back, the remote in his left. "Taehyungie," I groaned, as I tried to sit up, rubbing my eyes.

          "Girl, do you know how late it is? It is 11 in the morning, about time you woke up," he replied, kissing the top of my head. I smiled and sat up, adjusting the pillows behind me. "The doctor said you should go see your regular doctor today. You can sign out after they talk to you." Hearing that, I pressed the nurse's button, eager to get out of here, then notifying her that I was ready to talk with the doctor. A few minutes later both women entered the room and shut the door.

          "How are feeling this morning, _____," the doctor asked.

          "Much better than last night," I replied.

          "Well that's good to hear. Basically what had happened was too much mucus had built up in your lungs, causing it to block the 'airway' to the inside of your lungs. Last night we gave you some chemicals that got rid of it quickly. If you want to get a checkup, it'd be best to ask your regular doctor, since we don't have your medical history. We'll go ahead and sign you out and send all of the information to your regular doctor." The doctor left a few minutes later after removing all the IVs and such.

          "That's sound kind of painful," Taehyung said, staring at his hands while sitting on the edge of the bed. "You know, the stuff in your lungs and all."

          "Oh, that? Yeah it was, but I'm okay. I'm going to change clothes," I replied, grabbing my clothes from the corner of the room.

          "Wait," he said, walking over to me, staring into my eyes seriously. I've never seen him look so serious, or worried I should say. "On a scale from one to ten, how much did it hurt?" I looked deeply into his dark, brown eyes. I couldn't exactly tell what he meant by that, but from the look in his eyes, Taehyung was hurt. I immediately wrapped my arms around him. I hate making him worry about me so much. I hate that I'm making him go through this. This is exactly what he didn't want to go through with his brother, but his friends and myself pressured him into it with me.

          "That's not important, Taehyung. I'm okay, that's all that matters, right?"

          "If you don't give me number right now, young lady, you won't get the present I told the boys to get you, now tell me." I unwrapped my arms from Taehyung and looked back up at him. His nostrils were flared in a ridiculous manner, his bottom lip poking out then crossed his arms over his chest, giving me a scolding look. I chuckled and decided to give him an answer before he'd force it out of me.

          "8.7," I answered, avoiding his eyes. I assumed his expression fell when tightly embraced me. We stood like this for a while, and as we did, all I could feel was guilt. Guilt has to be a ten. My heart aches for this man who cares for me way too much, cares for me more than I care for myself. "I better get dressed so we can get out of here," I said, breaking away from him. I gathered my clothes once again and closed the curtains of hospital bed while Taehyung stood on the other side.

          Guilt is definitely a ten, or at least close to it.

 


 

          After signing out of the hospital, Taehyung had already called a cab to drive us back home, so it was waiting for us outside. We both fell asleep on the way there, but the driver woke us up for directions. The driver parked next to the curb in front of my house after following our directions. After paying the middle-aged man, Taehyung led me inside to my room, and said my present was inside. He covered my eyes before opening the door, excited to show me what was inside. "Keep them closed," he shouted. I waited a few more seconds until he said, "Open!" I opened them slowly, fluttering my eyelashes to see stuffed animals all over my bed, rose petals in a pile to form a heart. I smiled widely looking at all the animals of different sizes. I looked at Taehyung who was pulling out a bouquet of flowers. "Welcome home darling!" I laughed and ran over to him, dragging my oxygen tank along. I removed the tubes so I could smell the flowers. The floral scent was intoxicating; it was much stronger than I was expecting, but it smelled so sweet. I kissed Taehyung's cheek and stared into his eyes for a few moments. This boy was too much for me; I really don't know what I did to deserve someone like Kim Taehyung, but I was more than happy he was in my life. This boy, who is probably extremely grateful for every pulse and breath of mine, could do so much better, but he settled for me. How on earth did I manage this? Slowly, Taehyung brought his hand to my face, ready to pull me closer.

          "Are we interrupting or..." a male voice said, drawing my attention away. Jin was the only one standing while the others only showed their eyes from behind the bed. I laughed and laid the flowers on the bed.

          "Damn it, I forgot you guys were here," Taehyung shouted at the ground, probably embarrassed by his cheesy actions towards me. The boys made their way over to me and greeted me with open arms, some stating how worried they were. Hoseok and Jimin hugged me tightly before Taehyung made them get off of me, then embracing me himself. We all moved to the living room, while Taehyung was getting something to put the flowers in. Jungkook asked many questions that I was unable to answer. I explained as much as I could, but all I could really say was that I have to speak with my regular doctor to find out if I'm going to be okay.

          "Well go now, we must know if our sister-in-law is alright," Hoseok shouted, while grabbing my head and gently petting my hair.

          "Excuse you? Sister-in-law?"

          "Oh come on, you're practically family already, just go with it," Suga said, smirking. I rolled my eyes but smiled. I'm glad I was accepted into a family. It may not be "legally official," but it's official to them and me. Eventually, they sent me off to go see my doctor. Of course they all wanted to tag along, but they wouldn't be allowed to come into the examination room anyway so I told them that they could stay.

          Once I entered the hospital, I signed in and waited until a nurse called me to the examination. I played a few games on my phone until I was called into the room. I explained what had happened the night before and then the doctor rushed in before the nurse could check my oxygen levels, blood pressure etc. "_____, I have extrememly great news. This is amazing news, really. It will change your life forever," my doctor exclaimed happily.

          "What is it," I asked, and by the look on the nurses' face, she didn't know what it was either.

          "There has been a groundbreaking discovery of a cure for cystic fibrosis! There is surgery involved, and, of course, an after-treatment, but the scientists who discovered the cure have performed the surgery on a CF patient, and she has been doing impressively well since the surgery. I just can't believe after all these years a cure has been found. I'll have the nurse explain why you're here; go home to your friends and tell them the news! Go, hurry!" I couldn't control the tears falling from my eyes. I have never felt this happy in my entire life, but all I can pray for is that the surgery will work and it will be successful. As for right now, I'm going to share the news with my family.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to make things clear, there is not really a cure for cystic fibrosis, this is a fictional story, therefore a fictional cure sadly :c

Also, I hope I'm doing this story justice, I added a lot more events than I had originally planned. (It probably would have ended already tbh lol). I hope I will get to update a lot more because football season is almost over, so that means no more late practices! Finally! Our last game is on Halloween, which will be interesting lol (:

Thank you all for reading! Annyeong!!! <3