Twenty Three

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

          Taehyung held my hand as we walked through a large crowd of people waiting for the light show to start. Several people tripped over my tank, so we had to stop to apologize every few seconds. Eventually we reached a table close to the fountain where the light show would be. We sat down and talked until the show started. "We have about five minutes before it starts," he said, placing his phone on the table. I noticed a few people at another table were staring at me oddly, so I lowered my head. When Taehyung invited me out, I didn't even think about how people would look at me, but now I remembered. I felt a little embarassed since several pairs of eyes were on me, but not because I was pretty or anything, but because of this oxygen tank and the tubes that come with it. I tucked my hair behind my ear, which I usually do when I feel I'm being stared at. "Please stop staring at my girlfriend, I know she's pretty and all, but she's mine," Taehyung shouted to the group of male teenagers who had been staring. The teens ran away once they made eye contact with Taehyung, but now more eyes were on us, but most people were smiling. "You'd think guys would give each other respect when they're out on a date, geez."

          It was cute that he had done that, although that obviously wasn't the reason those guys were staring. "Thank you, they were making me uncomfortable," I whispered, still tucking my head down, avoiding the looks from strangers. Taehyung's large hand moved to my chin and lifted my head to meet his eyes.

          "Does this make you uncomfortable," he said, still looking into my eyes before making a silly face. I laughed and looked away as the light show started. Around the fountain, lights lit up in different colors and sequences. Some lights rotating around, creating a pattern on the ceiling. The water looked like someone had colored it with markers, and it was beautiful. After several minutes, a phrase was projected onto the ceiling, 'Will you marry me?' My eyes widened, looking around for a couple who might be crying or celebrating together, but I didn't see anyone like that. I looked at Taehyung and his hands were raised, and then a woman in her late twenties crying and happily sobbing loudly. I smiled at the sight of the couple as they hugged and rejoyced together. "Well that'd be hard to beat," Taehyung laughed, checking his phone. "Did you like the show?"

          "Yeah, it was beautiful, but when the question popped up, I was shocked," I replied, playing with my fingers.

          "You thought it was for you," Taehyung asked, staring at me. I nodded embarrassingly and he laughed in the most contagious way.

          "I know, but I thought it was cute and pretty. Now stop laughing," I said, trying to reason up a good excuse for me reaction. "Let's go to the beach now."

 


 

          I felt cold air being blown onto my nose, causing me to swipe my face. Then I felt it again and I opened my eyes to see Taehyung staring at my nose as he continued to blow cool air in my face as he stood outside of my car door. "Come on sleepy head, let's go, we're here," he shouted, pulling me out of my seat after unbuckling my seatbelt. I lugged my cart behind me as we rushed to meet the ocean. I lifted the end of my dress as the waves crawled higher up my legs. "Oh my God, it's cold," Taehyung screamed, as did I. "_____, why did you agree to go to the beach at night, it's freezing," he yelled as he ran away from the water.

          "Why did you suggest it, Taehyungie," I shouted back, motioning him back into the water. He awkwardly ran back, holding onto his shorts. He stood next to me and let the waves crash to his feet and laughing about at the kelp brushing on his feet. "I'm going to change into my bathing suit, okay?" I looked up at him and he stopped giggling at looked at me with a surprised expression.

          "You're going to swim in this water? Are you crazy," he questioned, but laughed, and I nodded. "I guess that means I have to also." I ran back to the car and quickly changed so Taehyung could as well. Just now, I've never felt so free. I haven't been able to run without becoming breathless in so long. Finally, I could run and breathe normally, but if it wasn't for this tank of oxygen, it wouldn't be possible. But for now, I'm removing the connection from my nose to the tank so I can really feel free.

          The past thirty minutes or so, Taehyung and I played in the water, splashing each other, trying to chase one another and more. For a little while, I didn't feel sick at all, but then my body realized the lack of oxygen and was begging for it. I sat down on the shore, catching my breath, and watched Taehyung try to catch a pigeon. Eventually he gave up sat down next to me. "You look, uh, nice," he said after a few minutes of silence. I chuckled and looked at his blushing face.

          "Thank you, you do too," I replied as he inched closer.

          "_____, can I ask you something," Taehyung asked, trying to make his voice sound deeper. I giggled and nodded, waiting to hear his question. "Will you paint me?"

          I was completely shocked by his question. I thought he was going to ask something completely weird and unusual like he normally would, but this seemed different. From the look in his eyes, it seemed like he really wanted something. "Of course I will," I answered, placing my head on his shoulder. We sat like this for a while before I suggested we head home. I offered to drive home, but of course Taehyung insisted since he was the man. I just laughed and let him take the driver's position.

 


 

          Finally, past midnight, we parked in my garage and Taehyung walked me inside, but immediately going to my room and falling onto my bed. I sat down next to him and yawned before laying beside him. "Are you going to kick me out tonight," he whispered with a giggle.

          "No, you can stay," I whispered back, closing my eyes.

          "Where do you want me to sleep?"

          "In here if you want, or on the couch, I don't mind" I replied, already knowing his choice. He laughed and squealed, making me raise my head. "What are you squealing about?"

          "I have to have something to cuddle with," Taehyung answered, burying his face into the mattress. I laughed and patted his back. "I'll just take this pillow and sleep on the couch," he said, getting up to leave with one of my pillows. "Unless," he paused at the door, then coolly turning around to face me, "You want me to stay in here." I smirked and shook my head, pointing to the door, where he would be exiting. He pouted but made his way to the couch anyway. I walked into the bathroom to remove my makeup, brush my teeth, and change into my night clothes. "_____," Taehyung shouted from the living room. I walked out of the bathroom to find him sitting up on the couch. "This couch is extremely uncomfortable."

          "Okay, fine, you can sleep in my room, but I swear if you try anything, I will literally kick you out," I threatened, and he stuck out his pinky finger, commencing the promise, then immediately taking his spot on my bed. After moving my oxygen tank close to the bed, I laid down next to Taehyung, with my back towards him. Just as I was falling asleep, I felt a large hand move around my stomach, pulling me more towards the center of the bed.

          "Sorry, I told you I need something to cuddle with," he whispered, moving himself closer to me. I smiled and eventually fell asleep, and it was probably the most peaceful slumber I've ever had.