Thirty One

Breaths and Pulses

Put your name in the _____ places!

Enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Taehyung's POV

          I watched as the doctors carried a drugged _____ off to a room at the end of the hall. I held her hand until we reached the door I wasn't allowed to go past. Her eye lids were half open but she had a small smile on her face. Before she entered the room, she whispered, "I love you." After she was out of sight, I slowly drug myself to the waiting room, ready for it to be over although it hadn't even started yet.

 


 

          _____ was sent into surgery about three hours ago. The nurse said it would take some time since it's a difficult procedure, but the waiting was painful. Waiting for a statement from the nurse was agonizing. The only thing distracting me were my wonderful friends who agreed to wait with me. A distraction was not enough though. I couldn't keep my mind off of _____. Jimin hyung tried to tickle me, hit me, slap me to make me pay attention to him as he made a fool of himself in the waiting area. Eventually, I looked over at hyung who was dancing wildly to the gwiyomi song, making me cringe at the sight. There was nothing gwiyeoweo about it.

          Another half an hour goes by and my heart starts to race. Why is it taking so long? I know they need time but is surgery supposed to take this long? "Dude, chill out, they've only performed this surgery like once before right? The doctors are probably just making sure they do it right," Namjoon hyung stated, but his words weren't comforting enough.

          "Hey, since we have time, how are things with _____," Hoseok hyung asked with a small wiggle of his eyebrows. I guess he wanted me to answer with a physical update rather than emotionally or romantically.

          "Falling harder each minute," I chuckled. "We don't argue a lot, which is good; I get enough of that from you guys."

          "With as much time you spend together, I don't see how she isn't sick of you yet," Suga hyung stated while playing on his phone. Jin nodded in agreement and earned a glare from me.

          "That must mean she loves you," Jungkook said. I smiled and probably blushed a little, since Namjoon hyung nudged me. "Well, Tae, I hope you stay with her for a long time. She clearly makes you happy, but I agree with hyung; how is she not sick of you yet?" Jimin laughed while slapping Jungkook's back and I just smiled, ready to make a comeback.

          "At least I have a girlfriend, fetus Kookie," I joked, getting a punch in the arm from the maknae. "Seriously though, I really love her. I'd do anything for her." The conversation ended in an awkward, sappy atmosphere, but I didn't care. Although my friends like to tease me, they support me, and that's all that matters.

          "For _____," a nurse shouted from down the hall. Immediately standing up from my seat, I ran over to the nurse, anticipating the news. "The surgery is done, but sadly, she isn't waking up. We thought she would wake up a few minutes after the surgery. Don't worry, she's still breathing, has a pulse, but we think her body almost shut down. We're doing our best to wake her, so please be patient."

          "Can I see her? I need to see her. Can I go back there, please," I begged with a shaky voice, almost panicking. Not letting the nurse answer, I walked past her, hoping to get a glimpse. Although it was hard to see through the windows designed to be foggy, I could make out _____'s figure. I called out her name, but I knew she wouldn't respond. I was just hoping if I called out to her, something might happen. Of course, it didn't.

          "Sir, we will come get you when it's okay for you to see her. Just sit tight, we'll get her back to you," the nurse said quietly while pushing me back to the waiting area.

          I sat back down in my seat and waited, once again.

 

 


 

          It had been about two hours before the nurse came back, allowing me to go in and see _____. I rushed back there, hoping to see her awake, but she wasn't. "Why isn't she awake," I said on the verge of tears.

          "The doctor said she's experiencing anoxic brain injury. During the surgery, her blood flow did not circulate properly, which caused the lack of oxygen to her brain. We're doing everything we can to get it flowing again. You can only stay for a few minutes so we can do some more tests, so please, go see her." I walked into the room and stood next to her bed, looking at her sleeping face which was more pale than usual. Grabbing a chair from the corner of the room, I sat down and grabbed her hand. I looked at her hand which had a clamp on her index finger. I tried to figure out what it does, but the monitors didn't give me the answer. But it hit me. It was an awful feeling. Seeing her so weak and sick. I've never seen her like this before, at least not this sick.

          "Jagiya," I whispered, looking at her face, "you're going to wake up, right? For me?" I paused as I listened to the beeping from the monitors. They were slow, almost steady, but it seemed too slow for a regular rhythm of a human. "I know you'd hate me for thinking this, but I'm picturing the worst case scenario. The nurse didn't make it clear that you were guaranteed to wake up. I'm sorry, I should be thinking positively like you always do, but seeing you like this...it's hard. Ah, I don't want to cry, but it must be too late. Just know that every breath you take, every pulse that echoes throughout your body, I'm extremely thankful for. Look what you've done to me, _____-ah, I've turned into a softy," I paused, wiping away a few tears that slipped with a sad smile on my face. Sighing, I continued, "Please, wake up, for me. Let me be the reason your heart continues to beat." I stood up, leaning over her bed to kiss her cold, colorless face. "I love it when it beats for me." With one last glimpse, I left the room, collecting myself so I could think of the best situation possible: her awakening.

          The nurse and two other doctors walked past me, giving me a small, encouraging smile. The boys met me back in the waiting area and asked if I wanted to go home and rest. I told them I would stay here, just in case _____ wakes up. "It might take a while, Taehyung. Just come home, they'll call you if anything happens," Suga said. I declined his offer. I didn't want to leave. I wouldn't be able to sleep, eat, rest, or anything else. I needed to stay here.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Ahh, this one was a bit sappy and cheesy, but I tried to incorporate the song in this chapter lol.

Was it successful? ><