After the accident

Forget Me Not

“Where am I?” I looked around the room, and saw nothing, but white.

“Minyoung, are you okay?” I heard my dad’s voice from somewhere near me. He suddenly sat beside me on my bed, and then smiled.

“Dad, where am I?”

“We’re at the hospital, you got into an accident. Good thing you’re awake, after being in comma for almost a month,”

I smiled. “That’s good. Wait, where is mom? Is she at home? Why isn’t she here?” I asked, looking for my mom around the room.

“W-what are you talking about, Minyoung? Your mom, she is.. She is.. Dead,”

“W-what? You’re lying, daddy! Mom can’t be dead! She wouldn’t leave me! She wouldn’t leave me!” tears came out from my eyes as I tried to stand up, but my father stopped me.

 “Jinki, call the doctor,” he told Onew oppa, as he tried to calm me down.

Onew oppa nodded, and hurriedly left the room.

“You’re joking, right, daddy? Mom wouldn’t leave me! She promised me!”

“She’s dead, Minyoung. She died eight years ago,” he said in a low voice.

“W-what? What year is it?”

“Twenty-eleven,”

“W-what? Stop joking, dad! This isn’t a good joke!”

“I’m not joking, Minyoung. Please, believe me,”

“No. dad! Mom is here! She isn’t dead! I was talking to her just before I slept last night! Then you’re telling me that I got into an accident and I’m already twenty-three years old! Dad, this is too much!”

“Minyoung, listen to me,” my father held my arms, as he tried to talk to me, but I covered my ears.

“No! I won’t listen to you! I hate you!”

“Uncle Minwoo, the doctor is here,” Onew oppa suddenly arrive, with the doctor behind him.

The doctor walked towards me. “Calm down, Miss Kim. Please, calm do- -“

“No!” I said, as I covered my ears.

It was fast, the next thing that I knew, the doctor injected something on my arm, and I felt dizzy. Everything around me was suddenly spinning, as my dad slowly lay me down on the bed.

“Just sleep for a while, Minyoung. I’ll explain everything later,” those were the last words that I heard before everything went black.

________________________________________________________________________________________

“Minyoung, you’re awake, darling,” my father’s voice was the first one that I heard when I opened my eyes.

Tears came out from my eyes as I remembered that mom is dead. She isn’t sick, how come she died?

“Dad, please tell me the truth,” I said, as I wiped away my tears. “How did mom die? I mean, she isn’t even sick. And you told me that it’s two-thousand and eleven already. How come I can’t remember anything that I did in the past ten years?”

My father smiled, but I can see the sadness in his eyes. “The doctor will explain what happened first, Minyoung,”

The doctor walked towards me, and tried to smile. “Well, Miss Kim Minyoung, after the accident that you had been last month, you had partial amnesia, or partial memory loss, which erased all of your memories in the past ten years. Based on what your father told me, you had been under painful situations, or some that made you very happy in the past ten years that caused too much stress to your brain. And maybe, you wanted to erase all of those painful memories that happened years ago, but unfortunately, other memories were affected. All that you remembered were the happy parts of your life until you were thirteen, which your father said were the happiest moments of your life. I guess that’s all that I need to say, I hope you’ll recover faster, Miss Kim,” the doctor explained, and then left the room.

I cried harder after hearing what the doctor said. “So that’s what happened,”

“Don’t cry, Minyoung. Don’t cry,” my father wiped away the tears in my face, and hugged me tight.

I laughed awkwardly as I hugged my father tight. “Dad, just help me remember everything, okay?”

“Yes, I would,”

“Wait,” I suddenly saw an unfamiliar guy sitting by the couch, with his eyes closed. I guess he’s tall, and his body was well-built. He has a short, black hair, and fair skin. “Who’s he?”

My father got away from the hug, and pointed at the guy I was talking about. “Oh. That boy?”

I nodded.

He smiled. “He is Choi Minho. He’s your fiancé,”

“My fiancé?” I asked with wide eyes, and gulped.

My father nodded. He lifted my left hand, and showed me the diamond ring that I was wearing.

“Minyoung, finally, you’re awake,”

I looked at the guy, and noticed that he just woke up. He smiled, as he walked towards me.

“I’ll leave the two of you first,” my father said, and then left the room for a while.

Minho hugged me tight. “I thought I would lose you, Minyoung! Don’t do that to me ever again,”

I hugged him back awkwardly. “Don’t worry, you didn’t lose me. I’m here.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________