Spell 'BRAT'. M-I-N-Y-O-U-N-G.

Forget Me Not

                 Knock. Knock. Knock.

                “Minyoung, open the door.”

                “Why would I?”

                “Because I said so, and I am your father,” Dad. Yeah, right. The person who had that title, but never acted like one.

                I walked towards the door, stomping my feet. I opened the door, and saw my father. He went inside my room, and I watched him as he took steps inside my territory.

                “I heard you were drunk last night,”

                “Yeah, I am. So?”

                “Why are you like this?” he asked me.

                 I raised my eyebrow. “Like this?”

                “Yes. Like that. A brat.”

                “Yeah, right,” I said, and then rolled my eyes.

                “Stop talking to me like that, Minyoung. You are talking to your father,” he told me in an irritated tone.

                 I didn’t answer. I don’t want him to reach his limits.

                “Why don’t you stop going to clubs? Why don’t you stop drinking? Do you get something from it? You don’t, right? Please, stop it, Minyoung. You’ll just ruin your life. I am talking to you as your father, Minyoung. And I want you to obey me,”

                “I don’t want to,” I complained. “It makes me happy,” Whoa, I said that? Congratulations, Minyoung.

                “It makes you happy?”

                “Just like what I said, it makes me happy, Dad.”

                “Stop it, Minyoung. You’re not a teenager anymore! You’re already twenty-three years old! Act your age!”

                “Yeah, right! Act my age! What a wonderful idea, Dad!” I said in an irritated tone. I tried to calm myself down, but I really can’t. “Can I please have one request?”

                The words that my father used hurts. Act, your, age. Three words, one sentence, but very meaningful.

                My father didn’t answer. I guess he was waiting for my request.

                “Stop treating me like a child. You said it already, I’m twenty-three years old, but you don’t treat me like one!”

                 My father nodded. He closed his eyes, and then sighed. “I’ll think about it. Think about what I said, too,” he said, and then left my room.

                 Oh, I’m so sorry. I forgot to introduce myself. I am Kim Minyoung. I am twenty-three years old, and I am the daughter of Kim Minwoo, owner of a famous five-star hotel here in South Korea.

                 As you can see, I don’t have a very good relationship with my father. My mother died when I was fifteen, and that was the time when my father and I got more and more awkward with each other, until we reached this stage. The love-hate relationship. I hate him sometimes, for many reasons. Like him asking me to manage our hotel so that he can take a break, which is something that I would never do for the rest of life. But I love him, because he’s my father.

                Spell ‘brat’. M-I-N-Y-O-U-N-G. I’m a brat ever since my mother died. A spoiled brat, and I don’t deny it. What I want, I get it. I get everything in just a blink of an eye. Childish, right? But that’s who I am, and it’s hard to change.

                I love to go to clubs, parties, etc. Just anywhere where I can dance freely and forget all my problems at home.

                I laid down my bed, and then closed my eyes. I tried to relax a little, as I massaged my temples.

               What a good way to end your day, Minyoung. Another fight with your father. Great. Just great.

~*~

                It was already seven in the morning when I opened my eyes. I didn’t notice that I fell asleep, for I was exhausted with everything that was happening to my life.

                I sat down my bed, and saw that there was a note on my desk.

         Pack your things. You’re going on a vacation.

        Get ready and you’ll leave at 9am.

Dad

                Whoa. This is the first time that my dad ever did this. I was surprised. Well, that’s how my life is. That’s how my boring life is.

                It was almost nine o’clock when I went downstairs, and saw the driver, and my dad’s personal secretary, waiting for me by the door.

                “Where am I going?” I asked Park Heejin, my dad’s personal secretary.

                “It’s for you to find out, Miss Minyoung,” she said with a smile.

                “Why don’t you tell me? I want to know,”

                “I can’t tell you, Miss Minyoung. It’s your dad’s order,”

                I raised both of my hands up. “Okay, okay. I give up,” I said, as I got inside the car.

                Park Heejin is my dad’s personal secretary for already five years. She replaced her father in this position, after he got sick. She’s just a year older than me, but she acts like she’s thirty years old or something. But she needs to, because being my dad’s personal secretary isn’t as easy as a piece of cake. It’s like finding a strand of hair in a field full of needles.

                We arrived at the train station by nine-thirty.

                “Have a safe trip, Miss Minyoung,” she said with a smile, as she gave me the ticket.

                “Wait,” I said, trying to stop her when she was about to leave.

                “Yes, Miss Minyoung?”

                “I am going to Kangwondo?”

                “Yes, Miss Minyoung. Is there any problem?”

                “Nothing. Who’s waiting for me there? Are there any hotels in there where I can stay?”

                She shook her head. “I don’t know Miss Minyoung. Your father didn’t tell me anything about it,”

                I nodded. “Okay,” I said, and then left.

                It took me three hours of travel to reach Kangwondo. The place was nice, and there is fresh air to breath. I think I’m going to like this place. Quiet and peaceful.

                “Excuse me, miss. Are you Kim Minyoung?”

                                                                                                ~*~