Part Thirty-three: Sunggyu

The Words Unsaid
Part Thirty-three
Sunggyu
 
“You’re an idiot,” Sunhyung scolded me for the twenty times as she wheeled me towards my hospital room.
“I know oh great mighty one,” I replied rising my hands above my head.
“Shut up your compliments have no use here,” Sunhyung replied.
“Sunhyunggg,” I whined showing all my aegyo.
“Do that again and I’ll punch you in the face,” she threaten me.
I frowned but I could see that Sunhyung was trying hard not to smile.
It took Sunhyung a couple of hours to find us which didn’t put her in the best of moods. She spent most of the trip back yelling at Gayun and me for being so stupid.
Jung Yeop was planning on sending an army to find us if Sunhyung hadn’t found us first.  To my delight Sunhyung had lied to Jung Yeop and my parents by saying that I was found near the hospital woods. I must have wandered off and gotten lost in my state. I was thankful that she cared enough to lie but I couldn’t help but wonder what type of punishment she would give me later on.
“You’re lucky you weren’t injured,” Sunhyung snapped at me.
“I know,” I mumbled to myself.
With all the walking and saving I thought I had broken some ribs but to my surprise I had only bruised my leg and chest.
I was picturing the worst when I heard my name being screamed.
Sunhyung stopped at once and I turned my head to see Gayun running towards me.
Her hair was flying behind her like a kite reminding me of my childhood but then I saw her eyes. They were full of panic.
“Oppa!” she said when she reached us.
“Gayun?” I answered as she grabbed my hand. “What’s wrong?”
“They,” she took a deep breath trying to catch her breath. “Are trying to take me.”
“Who,” I sat up straight staring around the hallway for the kidnappers.
“Child cu-“
“Gayun!” a voice shouted making Gayun cringe.
Two women dressed in pant suits walked towards us. The first one was older and she had her grey hair in a tight bun that went well with her brown square glasses. Her lips were in a straight line while her nose was stuck up in the air like she smelt something rotten. The next woman was much younger with blonde hair that was placed into a loose bun. Her pale skin clashed against her red cheeks making her look like a doll.
“Gayun,” the woman with the glasses said grabbing ahold of Gayun’s arm.
“HEY!” I shouted grabbing onto Gayun’s other hand. “Let go of her!”
The women with glasses glared at me. “And who are you sir?”
Her voice came out sharp like it could cut butter.
“Kim Sunggyu and can I ask you why you’re touching my dongsaeng?” I didn’t mean for the words to sound rude but I just couldn’t help it.
“Hhhmm,” the woman with the glasses scoffed.
“Sorry I’m Mrs. Park and this is Mrs. Jung and we are a part of child protective services and were here to take Gayun,” the other woman informed me.
“Where? Where are you taking her?” I asked tighten my grip on Gayun’s arm.
“I’m sorry but we can’t tell you that,” Mrs. Park informed me.
“The orphanage!” Gayun shouted as tears rolled down her cheeks.
My heart dropped. I knew this was a possibility but I didn’t think they would take her so fast. I didn’t even have time to think of a plan.
“I’ll adopt her!” I shouted without even thinking.
“What?” Everyone shouted at once.
I took a deep breath and thought about what I had just said. I had promised that I would protect her right?
There wasn’t another way.
“Yes I’ll adopt her,” I said once again.
“What are you doing?” Sunhyung whispered into my ear harshly.
I brushed her off now even more determine to adopt Gayun.
“You can’t,” Mrs. Jung argued.
“Why can’t I? I’m at the age to get married or go into the army. So why can’t I adopt this teenager? If it’s money then I have more than enough of it. If its housing then I’ll buy a house,” I snapped.
Mrs. Jung narrowed her eyes at me.
“Young man it takes more than money to adopt a child,” she scolded me like a child. “You have to be good with children.”
She looked me up and down.
“Which I doubt you are,” she added.
My anger was rising now and if I wasn’t bound to this wheel chair I would have strangled her!
“Listen,” I paused and took a deep breath. “I took care of six boys for five years and if that isn’t enough practice then I don’t know what is.”
“It’s not possible,” Mrs. Jung argued.
“So you’re going to take her anyways no matter what I say!” I yelled letting my anger get the best of me.
“File out a form on the child custody website and we will review your application it can take up to three months to a year,” Mrs. Jung answered as if she was an answer machine.
“Listen I’m offering Gayun a warm home something that she has been denied since she was child and you’re telling me to fill out a form?” I asked because she didn’t dare just deny me.
“Yes now please let go of her before I call the police,” Mrs. Jung threatens.
“No,” I snarled.
“Sunggyu think about Infinite,” Sunhyung whispered into my ear sending me back to reality.
“Listen kid,” I said to Gayun. She turned to me and I could already see tears falling down her cheek.
“I will come back for you,” I promised her.
“You can’t leave me,” she whined.
“It’s not that I want to,” I pointed out.
“But can’t I live with him,” she looked at the two ladies who shook their heads no.
“Listen I will come back for you,” I told her once again.
She brushed off my grip and crossed her arms.
“Like you care,” she scoffed but her eyes were full of pain.
“Gayun,” I called out of her.
“Don’t worry I’m used to people leaving me,” she snapped then she turned and walked the other way.
“GAYUN!” I called after her.
The two ladies ran after her leaving me and Sunhyung standing there in shock.
After a couple of minutes Sunhyung started to wheel me towards my room.
“I’m sorry,” she told me and I was sure she was.
It wasn’t fair.
 
Sunhyung pulled the blanket around my body then she hooked me into a couple of machines.
“Take it easy,” she told me.
I nodded.
“Your CEO is coming,” she informed me.
“What!” I shouted sitting up from the bed..
“Sunggyu you had to know that he would be coming,” she told me.
I nodded because I did expect it but not this soon.
“I have to go make my rounds I’ll be back here later today,” she informed me.
“Okay,” I said turning my head to look out a window.
“It’ll get better,” she said but I ignored her.
“Bye,” she sighed.
The door closed and I knew that she had left and I was alone.
What was I going to do about Gayun? In a way I felt responsible for that little brat but what was I supposed to do?
File out a dumb form and wait?
The door open making my breath stop because I was going to die soon.
She stood there with a confused look on her face but yet I should be the one confused.
“Can I help you Mrs. Park?” I asked.
“Ah yes,” she looked around the room as if she was scared that something was going to jump out.
She shut the door and quickly walk to my bedside.
She took a deep breath then smiled widely. “I’m a fan.”
“What?” My jaw dropped in shock.
“Sorry I didn’t mean to scare you but I’ve been such a huge fan of Infinite. It’s been about three years now,” she told me as she bounced from side to side.
I was so stun that I didn’t even know what to say.
“I’m not a crazy fan,” she reassured me.
“Do you want an autograph or something?”
I was confused about why was here and maybe a little scared.
“No no,” she said making me raise an eyebrow.  “I wanted to help.”
“Help?” I gave her a questionable look.
“You can’t adopt Gayun,” she told me making my smile drop. “But this will allow you to help Gayun.”
She handed me the folder and I open it to be greeted with even more confusion.
“What is this?” I asked looking up at her.
“The last person that can help Gayun…her Appa,” she informed me with a smile although this was not a situation to smile about.
“Her Appa is dead,” I told her simply.
“No,” she shook her head. “He’s alive according to our documents.”
“That has to be a mistake,” I suggested because why would Gayun lie about something this big?
“Well according to our records her Appa is alive and well but it seems that her Umma has denied visitation rights,” she informed me.
This was great news right? Gayun would freak out if she knew that her Appa was still alive. I could already see her smiling face as she was reunited with her father. So why was Gayun being dragged out of here a couple minutes ago.
“So where is he? Is he here?” I asked her trying to look over her shoulder.
She bit the corner of her lip then shook her head no.
“We can’t find him,” she admitted.
“YOU CAN’T FIND HIM!?”
I didn’t mean to scream but it just came out that way.
“He doesn’t have a phone and the address we have for him is just an empty parking lot. The only information we have about him is his name and the doctor’s office he visited two months ago,” she told me. “It’s not a lot of information but we do know that he is in Busan.”
Busan that’s huge city! How could they expect to find one person?
“Why are you telling me this?” I asked her because my patient was starting to run out.
“This isn’t enough information for us to try and find her Appa. Although Most of my coworkers wouldn’t lift a finger if they had to find this poor girl’s Appa. They rather let the government take care of cases like Gayun’s,” she informed me.
“Then why are you here?” I questioned her.
She sighed then looked at me. “I’m not supposed to be here, actually I could lose my job if they found out I was giving you this information. But I can’t sit still and let a little girl lose her family. Unlike the other cases Gayun has someone that cares about her wellbeing. If you can find her Appa and bring him to Seoul we would have to release her into the custody of her Appa.”
“You want me to find him?” I asked her shocked.
“Yes Mr. Kim I want you to find her Appa,” Mrs. Park answered.
“But why me? I mean I can barely get out of this bed so how can you expect me to find her Father,” I asked her.
“I think you will find a way Mr. Kim. Now if you excuse me I have to get back before anyone notices that I left. Remember Mr. Kim Sunggyu  find her Appa and don’t tell anyone where you got this information,” she told then she walked to the door quickly.
“Wait!” I screamed for her.
She paused and looked back at me. “Good luck.”
The door closed leaving me in silence.
I looked down at the paper as the weight of Gayun’s freedom weighed on my shoulders. How could she expect me to find her Appa?
At least I had his name.
Le-
The slammed open revealing my Umma wearing her usual church clothes except her hair was messy and her face was red as if she had just ran a holy mile.  Beside her was the one person I didn’t want to see.
“Jung Yeop,” I called out as they entered my room followed by Jungryu.
“Do you even know how worried I was,” Umma whined as she rushed to my bedside. Her cold hands found their way to my cheeks as she sighed.
“Sorry Umma,” I apologized as I tried to push away her hands but she wouldn’t let go.
SMACK
I winced as pain shot up my arm and it took a couple of seconds to realize what had just happen.
“You just hit me,” I yelled holding my arm.
“You deserve more than that! Do you even know what you put me through?” She asked even though we both knew the answer.
“Sunggyu what made you run away? Do you not like the care here?” Jung Yeop asked concerned.
“No it’s not that,” I told them. “It’s just I got caught in my head and wasn’t paying attention where I was going.”
My mother sighed. “Next time let someone know if you’re going to go somewhere.”
Oh on that note.
“Umma and Jung Yeop I need to go somewhere,” I told them.
My Umma looked at me questionable.
“Where do you need to go?” Jung Yeop asked as he took a seat next to my bed.
“That doesn’t matter I just need to get out of this hospital,” I told them looking around the small room that I had called my home for the past two months.
“You can’t,” Jung Yeop argued.
“Do you want to come home?” my Umma asked excited.
“No I need to go somewhere,” I told them once again.
“Sunggyu this isn’t a hotel you can’t just check out when you want to go somewhere,” Jung Yeop crossed his arms.
“I know but I need to do something and I can’t explain why right now but maybe later on you’ll understand why I’m doing this,” I told them.
“You can’t leave Sunggyu you’re still not well,” my mother pointed out.
True but I was better than I was before and if I rested tonight then I should be good to leave tomorrow morning.
The door slid open revealing Sunhyung holding a clipboard.
“I eh sorry,” she said turning around.
No this was perfect.
“Sunhyung,” I called for her.
She turned around and walked into the room with an unsure look.
“Sorry,” she said bowing to my Umma and Jung Yeop.
“Sunhyung I have to ask you something,” I told her.
“If you’re asking for my hand in marriage it’s a no,” she retorted crossing her arms.
“You wish! But can I leave,” I asked her.
She gave me a confused look. “What do you mean?”
“I mean can I check myself out of the hospital?” 
There was silence as the atmosphere turned into a more serious mood.
“You still have to rehab three times a week but the Doctors were thinking about releasing you next week but we thought you might have wanted to stay longer,” she informed me.
“You mean you guys think I’m going to freak out if I see or hear anything about Sungjong?” I asked them.
I could feel the tension as the words left my mouth. Jung Yeop and my Umma looked at the floor as Sunhyung turned to look at my chart.
“I’m fine,” I told them.
No one said a word.
“Honestly being in here is worst then being out there. I know what happen to Sungjong and I know I have to accept his death but keeping me locked up in here is going to make things worse,” I told them.
“We just worry about you,” my Umma admitted.
“I’m fine,” I told them and I was.
“Sunggyu you can wait a couple weeks before you do whatever you need to do,” Jung Yeop told me.
“Actually I can’t and I think it’s time for me to check out,” I argued.
“You can’t do that,” my Umma snapped.
“Actually I can because you both don’t have any control over me. I’m 26 years old and this has nothing to do with my contract. You’re no longer in control of me,” I told them.
My Umma’s mouth dropped as she looked me up and down. As if she was trying to see if I was lying.
I wasn’t.
“Now if you could leave so I can get some rest that would be great,” I said with a wide fake smile.
“Sunggyu,” my Umma shouted.
“Go,” I said once again. “Umma I’ll be safe and call you when I leave,” I told her then I turned to Sunhyung. “Now  Sunhyung if you could help them out.”
“Are you sure,” Sunhyung asked me.
I nodded my head in hopes that Sunhyung could see that I was a couple seconds away from breaking down. If I broke down now then Jung Yeop and my Umma would never let me leave.
“Let me offer you some coffee,” Sunhyung open the door.
“Sunggyu lets think about th-“
“Umma I’ve thought about this long enough,” I reassured her.
My Umma gave me one last look before she followed Sunhyung out the door.
“We’ll talk about this later,” Jung Yeop told me as he closed the door.
For the first time in my life I stood up for myself and I wasn’t sure if it was the right choice anymore.
 
One Week Later.
I threw my bag and crunches in the taxi’s back seat then I carefully slid next to it. I was still sore but I couldn’t change my mind now.
The skies were still dark making it feel like I was actually escaping this hell.
I couldn’t believe I was doing this but I had made a promise after all.
“Where to?” the taxi driver asked me.
“Busan,” I told him.

Author Notes:

I hope this chapter isn’t horrible. I tried to edit it about three times and each time I fell asleep. It’s too hot where I live and the heat makes me sleep. : ( But anyways I hope that you enjoy this chapter. Isn’t it crazy that I posted four chapters this week? I’m not sure if you guys can tell or not but each chapter is about 7 pages or more. Sometimes it takes a while to edit but thanks everyone for loving this story and I promise I will finish it. Also I’m going to go take a nap.